H&S carrier

Dark Kyp

I am a big fan of the pcture showing the head and shoulder bottle used as base to make a spaceship

So I started it as a project.

I first wanted to make the project straight from the shampoo bottle. The fact is that it is realllllllyyyyyy weak.
So i use it as a mold. I casted resin in it, then cut it to realease te shell.

Next steps: I will open the areas where i need to add some details and start scribing the panels.

9iAujHV.png

you doing the same with the cap so it still fits ?
That casting is hollow ? How does that work ?

I don't know yet for the cap. This is more complicated to have it fully hollow inside... I will perhaps make it using styrene.

The casting is hollow. Here is how I made it:
I prepared the resin, then put it in the bottle.
While it was still wet: I turned the bottle to be sure that the resin goes everywhere.
I had to do this 4 times with 1dl glass of resin.

Ah - OK . Kinda what I was thinking for the application process .
Thanks for introducing me to Smooth On ! Lotta cool products .

Very cool! Yeah, I save stuff like that, for these kinds of things. I'm working on an idea for a 1/20 hoverbike made from a deodorant dispenser. I'll be following this with interest!

What a great build. Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Like your idea of casting the bottle. High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) which is used for shampoo bottles among many other things is very soft and a bugger to glue to.

So I use it as a mold. I cast the resin in it, then cut it to release the shell.

I'm just taking some time on my day off to reread this thread. Lots of inspiration here. I've always been interested in 'random spin casting' of objects (which is what you've done). Would you mind sharing what resin you used to do the work? As a family, we are looking at getting into resin casting so I'm always looking for ideas on what you and others have used for different techniques. Thanks again for sharing.

I don't know yet for the cap. This is more complicated to have it fully hollow inside... I will perhaps make it using styrene.

The casting is hollow. Here is how I made it:
I prepared the resin, then put it in the bottle.
While it was still wet: I turned the bottle to be sure that the resin goes everywhere.
I had to do this 4 times with 1dl glass of resin.

That's pretty much the "hollowcasting" technique that toy soldier maker William Britain used to make his toy soldiers, starting around 1893. Up to that time, toy soldiers were cast solid in alloys of lead and tin, and most of them came from Germany. As you can imagine, the weight meant that shipping them was costly. Britain tried pouring the metal into the (bronze) mold, letting set for a second, then tipping the rest of the still-molten metal out. He could make more, from the same amount of metal, and ship them cheaper. He drove the Germans out of the British market, and established his company as the world leader. He inspired many copycats, too, and hollow-cast figures became the norm.

I have always suspected it would work with resin, too, but never tried it. This is a proof-of-concept.

Every morning, when I shower and I wash my hair, I use the same Head & Shoulders bottle, and it reminds me of this build. How's it coming along?

How's it coming with this project? Have you hit a hiatus?

Heh, I just realized I asked that before. Not trying to prod you, just curious because it's such a cool project.

Hello guys, sorry for the late reply.
I did not work on the project those last months.

I took time to find little parts to make details.
Will restart it during christmas holidays.

Very cool idea! Ever thought of filling the inside of the hollow cast with expanding insulation foam to aid in the stability of the cast? I've heard of other people using that in similar situations where they want to beef up the strength of the main body of their ship.

Latest posts

Back