H-75O Hawk from Clear Prop

ohbejuan

One of the YouTubers I like is crazy about Clear Prop models. I thought I would give one of their models a whirl, and I liked the bare metal finish on this Curtiss Hawk H-75. So why not? My goal this year is to finish more models. I feel I am getting better, but need to work more kits beginning to end to really develop skills. This kit went together pretty well. A couple of gaps when assembly the cowling. I used the Quinta Studios 3D cockpit decals. I much prefer these to PE parts, although the color matching is hard (as seen by my cock pit).

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4296.jpeg

IMG_4301.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok this is a good place to stop for the night. I will prime it tomorrow.

IMG_4302.jpeg

IMG_4303.jpeg
What paint did you use for the metal?
The primer was Stynylrez gloss. It does not cover that well, so I might to a coat of Matt black first, and then put the gloss over.

The metallic paint is Vallejo’s Metal Color Aluminum 77.701. This is my first time doing a bare metal finish. So far I think the trick with these Vallejo acrylic metal paints is low PSI. They are thinner out of the bottle than the normal Vallejo model air acrylics

The finish looks good, I like the consistency of the finish. I have several bottles of the Vallejo Metal Color but have not used it yet. I must say I am encouraged by your results with it.

ALSO I welcome feedback! The only reason I don’t do MRP or Alclad is I don’t have a well ventilated space, so I avoid enamels and lacquers. I am acrylics only.

I am in the same boat. I have a lot of cats who would not appreciate me spraying enamels and lacquers.

I mixed Stynlrez matte and gloss black primer, to try and get a semi gloss. The nose section is shown as having a higher polish than the rest of the plane, so I am going to cover just those parts with black gloss, to see if I can get a higher finish in just those parts. We shall see. I have to wait now

IMG_4305.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

ALSO I welcome feedback! The only reason I don’t do MRP or Alclad is I don’t have a well ventilated space, so I avoid enamels and lacquers. I am acrylics only.
I mainly use vallejo. Sometimes a bit tricky for spraying as not always consistent thickness of paint in the bottle. Pantherman

Ok so I have put on the Aluminum Acrylic. First time doing bare metal finish. I think it looks ok. But there are a few bumpy spots. Do I want to polish these up? If so I welcome advice. The highest grit I own is tamiya 3,000 grit sanding pads. But I think that is even too rough.

IMG_4316.jpeg

IMG_4315.jpeg

Ok so I have put on the Aluminum Acrylic. First time doing bare metal finish. I think it looks ok. But there are a few bumpy spots. Do I want to polish these up? If so I welcome advice. The highest grit I own is tamiya 3,000 grit sanding pads. But I think that is even too rough.

View attachment 111249

View attachment 111250
Think it depends on how much weathering, if any, you are doing. Pantherman

My airplane is starting to look more like an airplane.
I did try some sanding on the bumpy parts. Mixed success. I decided to let this one look "good from a normal distance"
Overall, I am pretty happy with my first attempt at a bare metal finish. Will do decals wrap it up tomorrow.
IMG_4338.jpeg

IMG_4339.jpeg

IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4347.jpeg

IMG_4348.jpeg

Calling it done! I lost the rear wheel. I like this kit. I would build another Clear Prop kit if it was a subject I was interested in. I hope they take what they did here, and make a P-36 Hawk Pearl Harbor Defender. That Wolf Pack/Academy kit is mediocre IMG_4356.jpeg

IMG_4354.jpeg

IMG_4353.jpeg

Latest posts

Back