Gundam F-91 resin kit (1/72)

YOULI

That which does not kill us makes us stronger !
Here is a resin kit found on Ebay (those were the days when I bought anything I can that was a bargain... SOmetimes with genuine GK, some times with recast... Horrible ones...).
It's obviously a recast, badly done, greasy, with bubles and delicate parts to be reshape.
A shame, the kit is static, no articulation at all, there is not a lot of parts, and the color scheme is not that complex.

Here is what it's supposed to look like.

Here are the parts I received, with no pictures or even instructions pages. That's a recast all right... :(

The details are poor, the panels in the shoulders (what's their purpose anyway ?) will certainly need to be done with plastic card, there is no need to waste time with resin parts full of bubbles, fragiles...

But I think I won't go for this color scheme...

images

More certainly for this kind of colors (I love blue !).

F91-gff-hf.jpg
BlueF91e8c4d76e-s.jpg

It should be original, and the less I work with white paint, the better ! :)
That will wait, though, my return in Paris in 5 weeks. Sorry about that... Don't have any Gundam model kits with me in the Pyrenees mountains. :)

Cool!
Always loved that design, and it looks so much better in Blue.
I have never worked with resin, and have always been very intimidated by it!

Man, I felt the same way for years !

Though it's easier than the Soft vinyl kits, the only thing I hate about resin is the glue : cyanoacrylate, or two components glue, epoxy... Don't know about you but I always end up with my fingers tips glued to anything BUT the damn resin kit.
But the result is fairly good, the sanding is easier than with plastic (I'm working on the SERENITY spaceship, it's not a beautiful kit, but it will be easy to deal with some panel lines and mold lines...), and you have way much choices, beautiful choices, in resin.

This one was a bargain on E-bay, didn't cost a fortune, and what I like in it is the fact that it isn't articulated. Articulated resin kits are fragile, to say the least, and need a ton of polycaps (that can't be painted easily). I've got one, I may post here, of a 1/144 Zaku II (it was before this one, from Gundam 0083, was available in HGUC by Bandai), I will choose a pose and glue it with not much articulated area (head, hands, hips...).

All in all, give it a try. EVen figures, with the acrylic colors at hand now, it's easier than, say, ten years ago. :)

You nailed what I don't like about resin kits. The glue and bubbles. The other problem is that quite often they do not have directions. I have a studio scale X-wing with no directions and close to 100 parts.

Looking forward to this one when you get back.

Yeah, resin kits can be troublesome, but thanksfully I have mostly Garage kits from japan.
And lately the Garage kit from the US, Germany or even France had improved a lot : a good mold, a good resin (not yellow but almost ivory, or white), instruction with 3D drawings and no more poor hand drawings (like with some recast company, not only in asia continent, but Great britain too), a loooooot of good details and almost perfect fit.

I've got GK about Macross, not from Japan but from Germany, the guy is a GENIUS ! His Ghost fighter is perfect. The Starship Oberth is a must !

Didn't have the opportunity to do them in the appropriate manner (space, tools, time), so they were in my Macross Exhibition in July in the box, but, man, was it a rare and formidable opportunity to present this work !

This F-91 should be some kind of challenge concerning the Thins/panels things, but overall a straight forward walk in the park. Especially since I don't want to paint it white but with the Blue color scheme. :)

Another interesting design!! Tough bid on the casting...it happens. The direction are probably useless anyway!! LOL!! With you knowledge of the materials at had I can only assume you will be just fine!! ;D

Indeed :)
Thanks ;)

But tere always some details that can need direction : are the thin panels the same size and how did this are supposed to be glued in the shoulders ? Does the head come with the two options ? I have some clue since I've got the big 1/60 toy from 1991, the original model kit (I think) and numerous documents, art books, anime comics to help me.
But that's a lot of research, even if I enjoy doing this, since it's always a way to remember things, or discover other details. Same thing happened with a BEAUTIFUL recast of a 1/20 Ingram 2, reactive armor, a friend gave me. I was happy with the resin kit, the parts are splendid, a lot of details... Wait ! What color is this ? Is there any markings ? Is the lenses and camera green, red, blue ? Are the arms the same green color than the chest ? The belts are they brown ? With metallic attachements ? This was a gift, and here too I've got a LOT of printing materials, the movie, other model kits (Bandai 1/60 and 1/35) even toys, so it's no real big deal BUT since I pay for a resin kit, like this F-91 Gundam, I like to have instructions, a minimum will do.

A photo don't tell everything. For example the one I got is only frontal, nothing showing what it looks like from behind, so there is no indication for the building, the painting, no nothing... :(

Enough of complaining words. Let's hope for the best for the next phase : building and painting. It's a "simple" kit, I may simply have to paint it like a WHK figure. And find some decals or/and dry transfer.

Bad news everyone.

Like John would say "life goes on the way". I'm way too busy to do anything about my kits for the time being.
I've got missions (job as a journalist), and a moving to the South of France to handle.

I'm afraid that I can't build or resume my projects before several months, once I'll be settle down, since the new house need some rough modifications and a lot of care to be able to welcome all my stuff.

But no worry, in 2013 I'll be back with a looooooot to share with you guys ! :D

Good news. Took back some kits with me on a trip from Paris... Took this fellow with me, plus a V-Gundam (1/72 resin) and even another Gundam lady (V-Gundam, resin). Those won't be done before long but it's good to have option for the next long summer week ends :)

V_Gundam_front.png
1239176314456.jpg

It's been a while but I manage to go for a washing phase for this Gundam F-91 resin kit. It felt greasy in the hand and I put all the parts in a warm soapy water...

I checked all the resin flash and imperfection on the parts and I'm ready to do some sanding and get to the putty phase. :)

Believe it or not I put a first coat of black paint, then a second coat of white paint, and even painted blue the parts that needed to be blue...

I forgot some resin flash but will deal with it as soon as the paint is dried.
Some pictures soon. :)

Latest posts

Back