Group builds?

Wolf Star

Man of mayhem
For WWII I have the Stug I'm working on, a Panther, a Tiger I, P-47, and a P-51, so I may be up for it.

urumomo

:D Pretty all encompassing.

I'm in then .
I was going to say I'm in if it's something I already have since I'm not buying any new kits .
Give me a reason to start something else .

Wolf Star

Man of mayhem
I'm not buying any new kits .
*must shred....credit.....card.....* That's 1/2 of my battle, ah, I'll buy this now and build it later.

*Looks around storage room 12 years later wondering where all these model kits came from....*

the Baron

Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
I encourage folks to do it, it can be fun, and it can help encourage those who otherwise have trouble finishing.

One theme that is an encouragement to finish a build, is a Shelf of Doom group build. We did this in our club a couple of times. Everyone who participated picked a build he had, already in progress but stalled-on the Shelf of Doom. In January, we presented our entries, and then we worked on those throughout the year. The finish was at our December meeting. I actually entered three builds, and it did help to have the group build going, for me to finish each one.

Having said that, I don't join group builds on forums anymore, because I have too many started and stalled projects on my Shelf of Doom, to start any new ones.

blakeh1

I would be interested. I would have an excuse to pick up that B-17 I have been wish listing

Peppylepugh

An interesting group build I’d heard of years ago was a build of older kits. Pre-80’s, but you had to build with old school techniques. No rescribing, no photoetch, no 3D parts. Out of the box. Not as easy as you’d think, was a very common comment.
I’d be okay with rescribing around seams.
Fair enough.
Photoetch would be a group call. Some of the first PE I’ve saw was dated in the late 60’s.
If y’all remember FotoCut, Fred’s first PE was spoked wheels and prop hub bosses, from the 60’s. What a great guy he was.
Definitely no 3D. I don’t think it qualifies. Not against it mind you, it doesn’t fit the theme.
But, yeah I’m good with anything goes. I’m in.

Time limit? 6 months? One year?
All you can build? Adversaries?
How about an Iron Man build?
Armor, Aircraft, Naval. You could replace one with a figurine build. Skies the limit.

Last edited:

the Baron

Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
No rescribing...
Not to rescribe panel lines would have to be a group call, too. While it has become more common, rescribing isn't an invention of the 2000's, or even the 90s or 80s. There were guys doing that back in the 60s, too, when they felt they needed to, to produce a more accurate representation of the subject (it's not always correct to remove raised panel lines and rescribe them, anyway, it really depends on the subject).

Peppylepugh

Yes sir, fair enough. Those ancients may have been rescribing across seam lines all along and I may not have been aware of it.
And who am I to yell ‘foul’ if somebody wants to rescribe a Monogram P-39? I’d be more willing to take that person’s call at 3:00 a.m.

Still some things to bang out I suppose.