Ground Attack Heavy Fighter (Original Design)

Richard Baker

New to this Forum
OK, this one is a strange one but the odd design has a reason behind it.
Lots of space fighters out there, I wanted to make something different- a fighter created to attack ground targets in any planetary atmosphere. I got to thinking and decided that multiple drive systems would be in order since what would work in an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere may not be the best to use in methane. I also like asymmetrical designs and wanted to have some fun. This ship is in 1:72 scale and about 14 inches long from the nose to that end of the port engine.
I gave it two control sections- one for flight in the front and one for weapons which I put in a large pod on an off set pylon. This is to give the weapons pod an unobstructed view around and below the ship. It is accessed through he main pylon and can detach in an emergency. The weapon control pod had a long range gun and a rotating top gun for defense. The top gun can be swapped out for several types of weapons or an advanced sensor suite. the main weaponry is mounted underneath the main body- a rotating turret with three heavy beam weapons. on the port side of the main body there are several missile launch rails with a variety of options, the red tactical nukes are shown. Forward on the underside are three landing pods which can be used for escape or recon.
There are three multiple drive units with a scattering of boosters. The main port engine and the two smaller starboard ones can, in a last resort effort, detach and act as fire forward as missiles going critical on impact. The third drive (aft slotted one) can be used to return if it is in the proper atmosphere.
About the build-
This one is all sheet styrene with a number of recognizable donor kits- I didn't spend too much time trying to disguise them on this model. It does have an exit hatch on the starboard main hull outlined in red (starting with this model I build most of my designs with red hatches so you can spot them easily in an emergency). When I was taking these pictures I discovered that this is a hard model to photograph. It has a number of perspective tricks built into it and when seen from the forward starboard three-quarter angle had a wrap round effect when seen with the eye that does not work well with my current camera.
About the build-
This one is all sheet styrene with a number of recognizable donor kits- I didn't spend

too much time trying to disguise them on this model. It does have an exit hatch on the

starboard main hull outlined in red (starting with this model I build most of my designs

with red hatches so you can spot them easily in an emergency). When I was taking

these pictures I discovered that this is a hard model to photograph. It has a number of

perspective tricks built into it and when seen from the forward starboard three-quarter

angle had a wrap round effect when seen with the eye that does not work well with

my current camera.

jXGHcwB.jpg

bUdKMro.jpg

ZEYXkg1.jpg

rShnVrb.jpg

z9S9ISs.jpg

hHuqWkG.jpg

Plan Views
Zm8VwZl.jpg

S5zonmA.jpg

OJ4fOve.jpg

CM8Koyb.jpg

LXmEPVH.jpg

hHuqWkG.jpg

NICE .
It has a great patina .
I like this one a lot . Especially with your design narrative .

Latest posts

Back