"Grot Tankettes"

f2k

And now for something completely different...

While I’m waiting for the base-model for the Spring Contest to arrive I busied myself with doing a bit of cleaning. That is: throwing out a lot of stuff that I don’t need any more.

As I got through one box of junk after another I finally arrived at the sad remains of my old Warhammer 40K armies. Some Space Marines, a fair lot of orks, and a lot of gutted bikes, wartracks, and tanks that was originally destined to be part of my ork army as looted tanks.

Well, I must have felt particularly inspired by the prospect of this contest, for I suddenly found myself rummaging through the box, picking out bitz’n’pieces, carrying them to my painting station and gluing them all together.

And this is the result...

These two beauties are the newfangled “Grot Tankettes”. Or, as my old warboss Kaptin Irongutz exclaimed: “wot da zog is dat?”

What it is, basically, is the rear end of two wartracks, up-armoured, up-gunned, and crewed by a single, very enthusiastic, Grot.

As can be seen, in reality they’re a couple of good old-fashioned kit-bashed models. I took two wartracks apart and constructed a superstructure out of whatever I had at hand. Just as a propa mekboy would have done it...
The idea was to create something that looked vaguely as World War 2 tanks. One of the was supposed to look a bit like a German Panther and one like a Russian tank destroyer. Unfortunately I couldn't find the pieces needed to create a turret small enough to fit on the tracks so the “Panther” has obviously been through a refit and is now equipped with two machineguns instead of a turret. But then again, you can’t have it all...

The basic paintjob went well (they ended up being camouflaged so they’re obviously Blood Axe vehicles). I still need to highlight the basic colours, apply some washes, pick out the details, and give them a round or two of weathering. But I thought I’d post them here as is – just for the sheer fun of kit-bashing...

panzerace007 said:
WoW !!! Cool lookin' Panzers !! Great Job on th Bashin' & such a small scale too !!

Thanks... :D

Funny thing is: I've been working a lot with 15 mm. Flames of War tanks lately so for me this is "big scale". Strange how ones perception can change.

For the Spring Contest I'm planing to use a 1/35 scale tank. Compared to these "tankettes", that's a positive giant...

Latest posts

Back