Gros Ouvrage de Fermont in 1:100 scale

f2k

I’m not sure if there’s much interest in 1:100 scale terrain here, but I’ll try anyway...

This is a table I’m currently working on. The basic idea was to do make a table suitable for a Flames of War early war battle. And when we’re talking early war, what could be more iconic that the German attack on the Maginot line?

This then, is a representation of the area around Gros Ouvrage de Fermont – one of the larger, though still incomplete at the onset of war, fortresses in the Maginot line.

I started by gathering a lot of pictures of the area as it is today. In addition, I took the basic plan over the entire complex and overlaid it onto a Google Earth image in order to gain an idea of the terrain and how the individual bunkers were situated.

And then I started cutting...

Oh my... The pain...

I cut and cut and cut and cut... Three days were spent cutting, sanding, and grinding the polystyrene framework into a basic shape. I was, quite literally, covered in tiny polystyrene pellets from top to bottom. And, to make it even worse, in the dry atmosphere of the cellar where I was working (the local model train club) I build up such a big charge of electricity that I made some highly impressive white-blue electrical arches whenever I get within five inches of a metal surface.

I tell you: I’ll never ever do that again...

But I finally managed to get the polystyrene cut to a somewhat satisfactory shape. And even though I took some liberties in order to produce a good table to battle on, it did end up with a good resemblance of the actual fortress.

Right now I’m working with grass mats. My original plan was to cover some large areas in different colours of grass and then use static grass in-between to tie it all together. But by now I’ve concluded that it just won’t work – the polystyrene surface is way too rough. So either I need to continue with the grass mats or else I’ll have to somehow smooth out the surface.

The basic frame of the table was originally an attempt to build a cheap and light 4’ x 6’ table. However, it turned out to be a bit to unstable. However, with some polystyrene added...

... the table became extremely stiff while retaining its lightness. The entire assembly weighs in at some 20 pounds or thereabout.

This is the table after I had cut the polystyrene down to the final shape.

Block four and seven was cut out of polystyrene, holes cut into the terrain and the whole thing clued together.

I sealed the edge of the table with newspaper soaked in a mix of wall filler, white glue and water. Once that was dry I went over it again, this time with a mix of white glue, water and black paint, in order to seal it completely.

(Sorry ‘bout the strange perspecktive, at that point in time the table was leaning against a wall to give me better access to the fortress)

The two blocks were coated with a thick mix of wall filler, white glue, and water before being airbrushed with several different tones of grey, ranging from dark gray to bluish-grey and greenish-grey. This created a nice concrete-like surface.

And here’s the table as it’s looking now. I’ve begun adding grass mats but there’s still a lot of area to cover...

This is going to look amazing when it's done bud will keep my eye on this looking forward to the next post

Geegad

wow wouldnt it be killer to have that kind or Room to build a dio liek that.

looking killer gona be class once done. ;D

Lately I’ve experimenting with creating a bare field (an abysmal failure) and adding more grass to the table.

A few pictures for you...

I don’t think I ever posted a close-up of block four and seven anywhere. So, here they are...

A picture of the field I tried to make. I experimented with covering the polystyrene with my usual mixture (wall-filler, water, white glue) with some brown paint and sand mixed in for effect. Sadly, the surface was so rough that the mixture couldn’t smooth it out. I think I’ll have to sand it dwon and cover it up somehow...

Here’s a picture of the entire table.

Now I need to make some decision that I’ve been putting off for way too long. Firstly, I need to figure out if (and if so, how) I’ll implement the remaining blocks. And secondly, I need to figure out how to tie the different grass mats together.

Quaralane said:
Looking good.
Now, you just need the armies to take the field

In fact, I've got no less than two German armies in progress. But sadly early war seems to have died a quick death around here so...

Quaralane said:
Sorry to hear that.

So am I...

I actually liked playing games where there weren’t any ”big toys” like you see in late war. But perhaps that was also what counted against it – there’s a serious lack of iconic vehicles...

Also, to be quite honest, there does seem to be some serious balance issues. For example, I’m basing my army on Rommel’s famous “Ghost Division” with lots of Panzer 38(t) and Panzer II. And I really dread the thought of running into a British or French armoured company as the Germans, lacking their eighty-eight’s, are very hard pressed to penetrate the thick hide of their opponents.

Finally, I also think that the need to buy an entirely new army was a turn-off for some. There is, at least, some overlap between mid and late war. But early war is just that – early war. In fact, there might not even be much overlap between the early war theatres either, with the composition (and camo) of the armies changed a fair bit between the invasion of Poland, the desert campaign, and operation Barbarossa.

Guess we’ll just have to see what happens...

Latest posts

Back