Grendels lighting tutorial

merseajohn said:
Awesome work so far Grendels! Very cool. I also got an MC 80 through the post last week! ;D

Maybe we could have an MC 80 group build after this one is done!

Thanks Q!

Yeah could be good! I have got alot of models waiting to be built though....

merseajohn said:
Yeah could be good! I have got alot of models waiting to be built though....

So do I, with promises to build them. We can talk about this some time later.

Here is a new update on the lighting tutorial:

Lighting Tutorial: Electrodroid

I spent an hour with the falcon tonight, so I am starting to get back to work on her. I should be able to show some progress sometime next week. All I really did tonight is clean up flash on many of the parts.

Just finished reading and watching all the video's. You have presented some great information here! As a former aircraft electrician with experience in soldering, electrical, and electronic repair I can say much of your information is pretty sound (there are some terminology errors which I can forgive and overlook ;)) A very comprehensive tutorial overall and I am sure that this will benefit many modelers who are intimidated by lighting. I downloaded the android app you presented in the final video and really like it a lot! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more on your Millennium Falcon build!

Marc

Jon,

Do you see "ElectroDroid" as a replacement for your power supply and breadboard or is it a first step before you go to the PS/Breadboard?

Thanks Fraley1701! One thing though, this list is actually missing four videos! I will put them at the end of this post. They are videos about the 555 timer chip.

ShutterAce: No that app will not replace a breadboard. I have used it for checking the value of a resistor when I don't want to look up the color codes. I have also used it to check pin outs and to calculate resistance when working with LED's.

But I am going to stick to the bread board when building up circuits and trying to set timing rates. If you check the 555 timer calculator, that circuit doesn't look like the one I am using in my videos. I am pretty sure that it is giving the right blink rate and that it will match what I see in my circuit. I just think it will be more satisfactory to get out a variable resistor and just dial in the blink rate I want.

Here are the missing videos:

Lighting Tutorial: 555 pros and cons

Lighting Tutorial: The 555 build up

Lighting Tutorial: Strobing the 555 timing chip

Lighting Tutorial: 555 timer slide show

Good videos on the 555 timer! Be careful with those capacitors as they can bite you if you do not let them discharge completely before removing them (speaking from experience)! ;) We had to wait up to 30 minutes before disconnecting the power supply from the real strobe lights on aircraft to perform maintenance; otherwise you could get quite a jolt! :eek:

I will be careful with them. I did a term as a computer repair person, and I had to work with power supplies. They have some fairly large capacitors in them. So I know about not grabbing them without taking the right precaution.

Hi Grendels,
I stumbled on this site whilst watching your videos on youtube. I recently bought myself the Pocher Aventador 1:8 and plan to add lights to this model. I understand a fair bit of your explanations but given that I am an absolute noob at electronics I thought I’d ask for your assistance.
I’ve tried finding an evening course that explains this stuff but these are full blown electronics courses over several months and very expensive.
Unfortunately there are no longer shops in the Netherlands similar to “radio shack” where I can ask for help.

One of the videos I saw was a scale 1:18 diecast car and the guy had a simple remote control device with simple buttons labeled 1-12 (I believe, couldnt see the whole device) and when he pushed a button the indicator lights would turn on/off/left/right/all. Push anothe button and the main lights or park lights would light up, he even had fog front/rear lights and I suspect he used a reed switch to operate lights when the doors were opened.
So given this long intro: where I fail to understand your videos is when you use chips like in the 4060 or 555 connection. Fist of all I dont understand the terminology but I also dont understand if these black “lego” blocks work straight away when you plug them in to the breadboard or whether there’s some fancy programming going on behind the scenes on a computer. I hope you can expand a bit on this.

Question 2: I saw another video where a guy was adding LED lights (SMDs) to streetlights used to light a railroad diorama. He used extremely thin wires to connect to SMD lights. He mentioned this was insulated wire used to make electro magnets.
In your videos you use ‘normal’ electrical wire. I dont have the luxury to use “thick” wires and I dont plan to use the lights much once installed. If I were to opt for this ultra thin coated wire will I be getting in to trouble?

Latest posts

Back