Great glue

Dano1945

I saw DreamKnight using the Tamiya thin glue on a video. Picked up some yesterday. Wow what a difference.
No more glue webs or blobs. This stuff is awesome.

Dano1945 said:
I saw DreamKnight using the Tamiya thin glue on a video. Picked up some yesterday. Wow what a difference.
No more glue webs or blobs. This stuff is awesome.

Awesome stuff right? :) I hate the cement clue that does all the web and blobs... it's so messy. I switched to proweld and was hooked. Then changed over to Tamiya's thin cement because of the brush it comes with. It's much more easier to use than the one on the Proweld or Ambroid

Just be careful if you buy anything from Pegasus hobbies. They use a styrene ABS mix in their plastic, and the extra thin cement won't always hold well. I had problems with this on my contest build.

Grendels said:
Just be careful if you buy anything from Pegasus hobbies. They use a styrene ABS mix in their plastic, and the extra thin cement won't always hold well. I had problems with this on my contest build.

Grendels, what did you use for that situation?

Ditto for Plastruct plastic, there is just something different about it. While Tamiya X-thin will hold it, you usually have to clamp it while the glue sets up, and it doesn't do it as fast as regular styrene.

I use the Tamiya X-Thin as well...great stuff, which I am completely out of.....needed a case of it on my last order, and both suppliers were sold out! Popular stuff!!!

Grendels said:

I remember you saying that which I found odd at the time. I built the same model with Tamiya cement and didn't notice any problems. Didn't notice it on the few other Pegasus kits I've built as well.

I switched over to regular Tamiya cement. That corrected the problem, but the extra thin would pull apart. AKE I bet you didn't have wires running in the wings. That caused a bit of extra stress in the parts, and the glue just wasn't up to the task. I even clamped them for one hour before I did anything with the wings.

The instructions that came with the kit said that extra thin should work, and it did on most of the kit, I just had problems in a few spots. I think the difference might be if the part is under stress or not. I tried to carve out channels for the wires, but I might have missed in a few places.

I read about this on a couple of other forums too.

Latest posts

Back