Gloss Coats

Jedi2x98

Just asking, will the type of gloss coat that you use affect the paint? (Smudge it and stuff) :-\
And is there any Acrylic Gloss Coat in Spray Can form? Thinking of getting them....

I use a few different gloss coats (testers spray can, tamiya spray can, and future floor wax applied either by brush or airbrush) no problems noted so far. I should add the gloss coats are over tamiya or Vallejo paints.

I have used rustoleum and krylon clear paints with no problems in the past. But I always use future between color coats and weathering and or decals. The other two I will use for finish coats.

Jedi2x98 said:
And is there any Acrylic Gloss Coat in Spray Can form?

Vallejo has rattle can versions of their varnishes which Elm has (or at least has had...not sure if he is stocking it at this time). Never used the cans myself but assuming they contain the same thing as their bottled product you cant go wrong.

How the gloss coat effects the paint can also depend on how the paint is set up.
When I did my F-16XL, I sprayed my red coat directly on a glossy metallic.
When I hit it with the gloss coat, the red paint crazed.

So, when in doubt, test first

Jedi2x98 said:
Just asking, will the type of gloss coat that you use affect the paint? (Smudge it and stuff) :-\
And is there any Acrylic Gloss Coat in Spray Can form? Thinking of getting them....

Of course it Can !

If you spray a hard 'ENAMEL Based' clear coat ! on top of a fragile Acrylic paint.... I would cringe in fear that it would affect it ....

of course... if you are looking for Rattle Cans Clear coats... Testor and Tamiya are Enamel based !
meaning STRONG STUFF ! depending on HOW THICK you lay it onto your model... it may or may not.. crackle the paint ! and it depends on the Base coat you used in the first place!

Crackling usually happens when you clear coat a paint that didn't have time to CURE properly and is trying to de_GAS!!! (cure) or the undercoat is so thin and fragile that the ENAMEL base paint or Clear coat is eating right thru it ! sometime you can see decals BLEED !!! which is even more distressing !!!

Testing it out is one way of making sure your products are compatible... this is the best advice !!!

I hope we didn't scare you ??? if you go Acrylic ! or all Enamel... you should not experience too many incompatibilities.... if you start mixing.... well ! FUTURE is your friend and you need an Airbrush to apply it ! its the toughest product out there

I'm not talking about doing oil washes over Future acrylic floor polish.. I'm talking about a thick Clear coat using... rattle can with strong Testor or Tamiya Clear coats... just to make sure the other guys don't jump on me all at once !!!

big difference !

anyway... hope it help ? SO ! HOW BAD is your paint job ??? where you able to fix it ?

if you need to start over... a Bath of "Super_Green" cleaner will eat thru all your paints and you can start painting all over... and plz take the clear parts off ! if any !

Don't throw your model out !!! it can most of the time be saved !

Norm

OUT !

Actually Tamiya Clears in the can are Lacquer based and not Enamel, and Testors makes both enamel and lacquer based clear coats, but I would stick to the Lacquer based, doesn't take as long to dry/cure, and is friendlier to acrylic base coats than the enamel.

That being said.....it doesn't matter what kind of paint the clear coat is going over, as long as the previous layer is "CURED" and not just dry, big difference. If your previous layer is cured, you should be able to put pretty much anything over top of it.

As far as the Vallejo clears in the spray can go, I don't know if they were in fact the same as what is in the bottle or not, I know the primers weren't the same, and as far as I know, no one in North America is importing the Vallejo spray cans anymore, least none of my suppliers carry it anymore. I would love to see one of my suppliers bring in the larger bottles of the Vallejo Matt coat. The Gloss and Semi-Gloss would be nice also...but would settle for the Matt in a large format.

Elm City Hobbies said:
I would love to see one of my suppliers bring in the larger bottles of the Vallejo Matt coat.

Put me down for one of those if you find them. As you know I go through a small bottle every couple mobile suits. :)

Yeah...just waiting on someone to bring them in, same with the larger thinner bottles....my supplier brought it in once and now seems to not be restocking it. Pain in my butt!

Elm City Hobbies said:
same with the larger thinner bottles....

Please, please, please, PLEASE keep me posted on this. I have been chasing the large 60ml bottle of thinner on ebay for a while now. I just don't like purchasing it from someone with like 30 neg feedback in the last six months when it is always about delivery time and out of stock complaints.

I would be interested in the Matte coat and the thinner in the big bottles so PLEASE work some magic for me because I am at my wits end.

Did I mention the word please?

;D

LOL...unfortunately my pleading to my suppliers doesn't hold much water, I got Stevens to bring in the 200ml thinner, but they only ever brought it in once. They can't tell me it didn't sell, because they are sold out! LOL

The 60ml Matt, I am thinking it is a somewhat "new" item, and just hasn't made it here yet, maybe I should send Alex at Vallejo an e-mail, maybe he can get them to order it from them, worked the last time.

Between those 2 items and being able to keep the primer in stock...I would be a happy camper!

Oh, oh ,oh ,oh ( I was trying to show you My O face ;D ) .... Please !! Can you put Me down for one of those Big AZZ Bottles .....

Pretty Please with Sugar on top !! Can you also Keep Me in th Loop ..... I would Also be interested in a Big Bottle of th Satin ... ;D (P.P.S.T - that's another Pretty Please with Sugar on Top ;D )

Thanx SCOTT ... I know you'll do what you can !! May th Paint Gods align the Pigments & Shine down upon Thee .....

Latest posts

Back