German Kubelwagon with Cold Weather Starter

hmm i like the color of that german grey model air range ima have to get me some.

nice start on it Erik

Thanx Guys for th kind words !!

Here's another update ......

DSC08609-1.jpg
This is how I covered th convertible top. I cut a square out of th foil making sure it was big enough to overlap th top.

DSC08610-1.jpg
I took a Microbrush & spread th CA . working the center of the top 1st. I put it on sparingly making sure I put a good amount on the bows in the top

DSC08611-1.jpg

DSC08612-1.jpg
After I had the center "panel" I made two small cuts at th rear corners running along th rear panel of the Top & then attached th foil to th sides

DSC08613-1.jpg
After it had dried I just simply went around & trimmed th excess & rolled it over inside of the top

DSC08614.jpg

DSC08616.jpg
Now it's time to paint !!

DSC08617.jpg

DSC08618.jpg
I shot it 1st. with Vallejo's Black Primer

DSC08620.jpg
Next I drybrushed it with Vallejo Canvas

DSC08627.jpg
Then with Tamiya Khaki Drab

DSC08631.jpg

DSC08632.jpg
A final dry brush with Vallejo German Camo Beige

Now it's time to move to the Wooden "Floor Boards"

DSC08621.jpg

DSC08622.jpg
I went through & dotted it intermittently with the Raw Umber & Burnt Sienna . I let that set-up for about 20-30 minutes ** Note that I used a piece of corrugated cardboard to "wick" away th excessive Lint Seed Oil. It'll greatly reduce the shine that may occur afterwards ( letting th paint "rest" on th cardboard for 30 minutes to leach out th Oil.

DSC08623.jpg
Next it was time to break out th "Liberated" Eye Shadow applicator to drag th dots. Oh Yeah ...When you're done hold onto th Eye Shadow applicator .... Woman get a little testy when they apply Oil Paint to Their Eye lids :eek:

DSC08624.jpg
I gently streaked th Oil in one direction. Making sure not to over lap the passes

DSC08625.jpg

Well .... that's a good day in th books at The Panzer Shoppe !! Who's up for a round in th Pub ?? ... And out th door I went ;D

When ya had the primer on I was thinking meh looks like paper still but the db brought that puppy to life!!! Awsome job Erik and great sbs's

Brilliant idea for the canvas. This is starting to look really cool. Fantastic attention to detail mate! Can't wait to use that wrapper on a 1/24 scale jeep I have. And by that I mean I can't wait to use it as an excuse to buy a bunch of (in case i mess up of course) Klondike heath ice cream bars that I for some reason have a craving for.

Oh and I am ALWAYS up for a pub crawl.

MYKE,

Hey Dude . I'm glad you liked it & send up a flare when you get that Jeep goin' I def. wanna check that out , Yes !, It's a great excuse to go to th store & grab some Ice cream or a case !! ;D Duly noted on th Pub Crawl !

Here's a short update. I've finished the Super Power Plant that powered this Kubel. Th Big air cooled Flat 4 cyln. 985cc packed a whopping 23hp !

DSC08639.jpg
DSC08640.jpg
Not too much detailing. I did take some insulation from a phone cable to act as th tunnel for the Spark plug wires , which I ran with .01" copper wire that is normally used in Fly Fishing for tying the Flys. I drilled th cylinder heads & simply CA'd th wire in. I also added the wire to the alternator transformer that leads back to the battery, a bit over sized. If I were to do it again I think I would've used th .01 wire & braided two pieces together .....

DSC08641.jpg
Here it is in Vallejo Black Primer, and a last minute addition were the retaining clips for the Oil bath Air filter.

DSC08643.jpg
DSC08647.jpg
DSC08648.jpg
I used Poly-S Railroad colors - Faded Aluminium for th Carb body & it's pipes. The "tin's" were painted with Vallejo's German Grey ( Model Air) & the external Fuel tank ( attached to th Fan Shroud, & nicked from th Tamiya Kubel Engine) was used for Cold Weather starting & Held Premium Petrol - as th story goes, this devise was actually very Dangerous & could back-sifon into th motor causing a Fire :eek: , you can't see it ,but I "plumbed" th fuel line with th same .01 copper wire, it ducks into th fan shroud & is routed back to th Carb. ( Not that I did all of that routing, it th way it was routed on th real thing) I als o washed it in Citadel's Gryphonne Sepia Wash to give it that Grimy Fuel look ! ;D
That's it for now, I have done some playing around with th undercarriage & have hit it with some AK Dark Steel & will give it some Weathering ( not that you'll ever see it ... but at least I'll know it's there ;D I'll post pix soon .. depends on it all goes down !!

Thanx for tuning in ...... Did you hear that ..... The Beer Trolly is comin' :eek: C'Mon .. let's meet it at th Corner !!

That's a smart looking donkey buddy!!! Keep them fires lit!!! ;D

very nice i hope your gona have the bay open so we can see it once finished,

Wow Just caught up on this and your doing an awesome master class with this baby! Am I still in time for last orders! ;)

HEY GUYS ,

Thanx for th kind words !! Much appreciated !!

@ BEO - The Cold Weather Starter was a universal Jointed "arm" that attached to the Crankshaft Wheel of the Kubel & then attached to the Panzer , in this case the Panther , it would turn th Engine over so as to preserve th Batteries of the Panther. As in Cold weather it takes twice as many amps to crank an Engine of that size over. The Cold Weather Primer on the Kubel was put in place so They could sifon High Octane petrol into th Kubel , thus giving it a "Quick-Fire" start, something similar to using Ether on th big Road Construction vehicles today. But too often if th Mechanic wasn't paying attention , it would back-sifon ( causing a back fire) & put Raw Petrol into the Engine & cause a fire. The same thing , back in th day with Carboreted engines , to get them to start you could put a small amount of Raw Gas into th Carb & get it to start, but too much & you'd have a Flash Fire on your hands !

SPUD ,

Yes th Bonnet ( as you Guys from across th pond like to say) will be Open. I guess They had to do this ? All the pix that I have seen of the Cold Weather Starter all show th Deck-Lid open while turning over th Panzer .

MJ ,

Hey Bro ! Thanx for th kind words ... too kind of ya' Too kind ! Yes .. The Group Build doesn't end until th End of February. So , I wanna see that Motorcycle .... You have a few weeks !! Get'r Done ;D

Panzerace, the motor is sweet looking. I have one of these kits in 1/72 scale. You think the wrapper trick would work in that scale?

ROY ,

Thanx for th kind words ! Well .... there's only one way to find out if th wrapper will work in 1/72nd .... Hop on down to th store & grab a box .. or Two of these & give it a run. It gives you a great excuse to grab some Ice Cream !! ;D

Plus - When you do this , You will need to separate th Wax paper backing from th Foil .... now be careful & you may want to run it under some warm water to get th ice cream off of th wax , in turn makes it a lil easier to remove th Wax Paper from th foil. Just take you time when removing th paper. I'd like to see what it looks like. I've used this for more than convertible tops. I've also used it for th Canvas covers that cover the Windshields when They are lowered on th Sd.Kfz 10 , & another Kubel , th Sd.Kfz 7 8 or 9 ..... really any type of Canvas - Tarp etc , I think would look good rendered from this foil.

Let me know how it turns out !!

\m/

Latest posts

Back