Future & Isopropyl Alcohol...

TiM

Several hours of painstaking painting & assembly on a 1/12 engine followed by a couple of light coats of Klear (english Future) before having a go with pigments...

I put dry pigments in recesses etc. and then wanted to "wash" the pigments into corners as well as "fix" them in place.

Anyway, after a bit too much alcohol (on the model, not in me) I thought a quick dab and wipe with a cotton bud would tidy everything up, however to my horror and plummetting morale, the base paint has come off before my eyes (Model Air metallics) :eek:

Does IPA normally eat acrylics / Klear like this ?

Yes, it can.

I used to use heavily diluted Iso with no issues but have since moved away from it.

Thanks for the reply;

Not the worst disaster in the world, and I suppose I've learnt something...

Obviously I won't swear in public, but you can probably guess that the air was a bit polluted earlier. :-[

At least the damage is underneath and inside the frame so won't show anyway and I can probably touch in in where I've lost the metallics through to the black undercoat.

Yeah, ISP will definitely eat through the future, so will water.

You can use a Pigment Fixer and should be fine, failing that, just some matt varnish will do the same and not eat into your clear/paint.

I have pretty much quit using future as well. I could never get it to go down in an even coat. I can with other paints.

We can't get future/klear here without difficulty so I have become a fan of the alclad clear coats.
I have also had issues with ISO in the past so stick to name brand products, may cost more but how much is all that effort worth if something goes wrong with the 'cheaper' option?

I use ipa only for setting decals but it can be harsh stuff.

It really softens the decals well and ihave gotten decals set over heavy zimmerit with goodresults.

Its much cheaper than aftermarket solutions for a massive bottle

Take care though

I have some repair work to do.

The silly thing is I have some MiG pigment fluid for thinning / fixing somewhere and didn't bother to dig it out.

Without really thinking I went ahead with Isopropanol, my mind was distracted at the time and I thought it would flow, fix and flash off too quickly to affect acrylic paints....
Muppet.

Having talked about it with the guys at work, they use it to flush the spray guns between using water based and solvent paints, to ensure that there is no moisture left in the equipment before using on a different material.

Learning the hard way, sometimes the most memorable... :D

For what it's worth, I've used mineral spirits over Blem (the Argentinean version of Future) without any problems.

Latest posts

Back