From Radford to Yorktown 1/700 Diorama

Thanks Guys for the Comps, I'm having a GREAT time building this diorama!!

Here are the new photos of the progress, I now have the Island attached and most heavy armament in place, as for the 40s and 20s I have to wait on some more PE as I do want shields and the sets I have used do not fit well and the 20 mm are nonexistent so I must find and order more. Weathering and aging are done for the most part, though some still to do. I have the refueling pipe done and will be putting on some of the water soon, (next day or two).

So without further ADUE Here are the newest shots.

RY54.jpg
RY55.jpg
RY56.jpg
RY57.jpg
RY58.jpg
RY59.jpg

Here you see the rope crew reeling in the pilot (not yet placed)
RY60.jpg
RY61.jpg

Here they are together RadFord and Yorktown, Showing their relationship.
RY62.jpg
RY63.jpg
RY64.jpg
RY65.jpg
RY66.jpg
RY67.jpg
RY68.jpg

Thanks For Looking, James

P,S. More to come

Well Guys things are starting to move rather fast in the end, This week I have worked on the transfer parts of the build. I had to scratch build the hose, made of guitar wire painted a dark gray and painted silver attachment points, suspension cable is stainless steel 5-0 suture. All the rigging and arrester wires are also this suture. I have also placed aircraft on the aft flight deck.In some of these photos you will see the transfer basket with a downed pilot being sent back to the Yorktown. This basket id made from tube styrene sanded down in a bevel to give shape. I had to apply and paint some of the textured water between the ships before placing the Hose and basket so you get an idea of how it will turn out, in some photos you see where I have applied the gel medium. This gel medium will dry clear, although it seems white still, and will then be dry brushed with Light Gray to highlight then all will be Futured to shine it all up PERRRDY like.

I always sign my ships by putting my name in the flags, as I have two ships in this setup the date is placed in the flags of the destroyer, 10 12.

I am waiting for the Bofor shields, orlikins, floater baskets and some more crew members, from Free Time Hobbies, I just love those guys. So here you go for some more photos.

RY69.jpg
RY70.jpg
RY71.jpg
RY72.jpg
RY73.jpg
RY74.jpg
RY75.jpg
RY76.jpg
RY77.jpg

Thanks for looking,
James

Impressive building there James!!! Well done!!! Even more so with the scale!! :eek:

Re: From Radford to Yorktown 1/700 Diorama (Finished)

Thanks TRM and Quaralane for the comps.

Well Folks we have reached the end of our Rainbow with this build. It has been a GREAT deal of fun and learning, mostly that I can work this small but it ain't easy! I will be reposting some redone and annotated photos to show the scratch built stuff. In these new photos you will fine the scratch built 40mm shields made from styrene. I got two sets of PE for the and nether work so I just made them. sone photos also show the water after all the gel has dried and then more once I have painted Light gray and white to show Highlight and Foam. I hope Y'all Have enjoyed this a much as I have! Remember a few more to come with annotation.

RY78.jpg
RY79.jpg
RY80.jpg
RY81.jpg

RY83.jpg
RY84.jpg
RY85.jpg
RY86.jpg
RY87.jpg
RY88.jpg
RY89.jpg

RY90.jpg

RY91.jpg

Thanks all for LOOKING!!!!

James

Exceptional James!!! Love the camo measure on the base as well!!! Really nice touch!!!

Came out beautifully, James! I like your finish on the water, I like how you staged your dio, everything came out great.

It's a great idea to be able to display the two ships on a reasonably sized base. I was thinking of displaying my Essex with her plane guard destroyer, but that would still require a relatively large base, to do it in realistic size. But oiling and transferring between ships, that's a great idea.

A beautiful piece of work, loving the camo on the ships and base.

also the water looks great too, awesome job!

Cool diorama. Great Dazzle/Disrupter camo. The details are microscopic...really nice. The water effect and the waves are terrific. Congrats. Bill

just gone through all this build bud superb work in every aspect love the little planes and i especially like the base buddy you've nailed the rough seas look

Seeing work like this, inspires me to want to try my own hand at one of these ultra miniature scale ships myself. Nice work!

Thanks Guys, I've been away far to long, Had a Major change in my life, kinda set me back a bit, But I'm back and will try and do some more shots of the finished piece and do some annotating!! Again Thanks for the comps, makes me feel better for sure to know you like my work!!

James

Being new to the hobby myself, the work you have done on this build is inspirational; thank you for sharing... great work! :)

Welcome to the hobbie Les thanks for the comps it is a lot of fun building these things enjoy your time with them don't rush!

Latest posts

Back