Free Models!

Fruit

It's a low blow, a dirty title trick, but I knew you would look ;)

But in all honesty, these models are free! Fiddlersgreen, a card modeling vendor/ design co. known for its formulaic and simplistic designs (very enjoyable builds of course, with minimal frustration and extreme ease), is offering free models for what seems to be an indefinite, probably limited period of time. Of course, these are paper models, but before most of you run away, perhaps download the free kits and just have a look at them - could be a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon ;D

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/

(I'm in no way associated with FG - I mean, c'mon, free models is free models is free models, right? :)

LOL...Thanks Fruit!! Done a couple in the past!! They can be pretty fun and a good way to spend some time and no bad feeling when/if something get's screwed up....toss it and print another!!! Thanks!!! ;)

Depends on the model. Most people use photo paper because it's a little heavier than standard paper. I usually use both - print on standard first to do a "quick & dirty" build to see how it goes together, see where the problems are, then print it again on photo paper for a proper build.

TRM: You were swooned by the title huh ;) Have any pictures of them?

Grendels: Any time! Now technically you could build it with any paper, but if you want maximum enjoyment, low frustration and a sound model, go for Cardstock. If you have any Staples or an Office Store nearby (preferably Staples), you can buy Cardstock. Cardstock is a heavier type of paper, and usually in the US it's listed by weight. Copier paper, the thin printer paper stuff, goes by 20 lb or so, but cardstock's is anywhere from 67 lb to 80lb or even more. I refer to Staples, mainly because their Staples cardstock brand is a good purchase for a bulk amount of stock - running around $10 for 250 sheets. However, if you don't plan to make too much, a Target or Walmart should have WASAU Premium Cardstock for $5 for 50 sheets. (Build one when you get frustrated with seam work - these FG models would be a nice stress reliever, as well as a quick 30 minute build ;))

Ziz is correct, paper type/thickness depends on the model. Different areas of one model could have different thicknesses of paper, depending on what kind of shape or size they are. For photo paper however, it depends,, because usually photo paper is too thick for compound curves and such and could cause distortion - so I'll limit that statement by saying, specific photo paper - such as Matte Photo Paper, is perfect for this medium.

Guys, I have about 5GB of pdf files of paper models that I downloaded from some place.

If I had somewhere to upload them to I would give them out for free. I wonder if Fotki would allow a PDF file to be uploaded?? Scratch that...won't let me.

About 180 files, aircraft, ships, tanks of different eras.

Thanks Fruit! I work right next to an office depot, so I will probably drop by and get some card stock. I have one paper model I would love to give a try at. A recognizer from Tron. Also the ME262 looks good, and I downloaded it.

No problem! Cool plan, I'd love to see your build of that recognizer or the 262. I'm going to assume the recognizer model is from the most recent Tron film? Or is it reminiscent of the 1982 film, the model from Starship modeler? If you have any questions, feel free to ask, whether it be printer, technique, or anything of the sort!

Here's another cool site!

http://paper-replika.com/

Paper-replika has a wide variety of models, from basically anything, to anything! Cool thing is, the prime model designer of the site is Julius Perdana. Julius had once ran a site much like Fiddlersgreen that sold his own excellent military kit designs. Over time, Julius decided to make all his kits free, and posted them on paper-replika.com. From there, the site has exploded and he not only includes his models, but others' as well.

It is the star ship modeler version. I found it one day and thought it would be cool to build.

The other trick you need to learn, especially if you're using photo paper a lot, is scoring the fold lines. You need to apply just enough pressure to break the top surface of the paper but not so much that you cut through the whole sheet. That makes your folds a lot cleaner and consistent. If you're really persistent, you can score a piece that needs to be curved, working every 1/16" or so, to get a good cylinder out of it.

I had to use waybackmachine, but I checked the model out. Very cool model! Honestly, I've yet to see any version of Tron, but the recognizer looks like an interesting piece of machinery. The model itself looks like a simple build, but rewarding ;D Can't wait to see your build!

Ziz has excellent tips - makes me think, Ziz, have you dabbled in paper before? You seem to know a lot about the medium! Any pictures of your works - if my assumption proves to be correct?

Technique jargon (Bit off topic)

I find photo paper, the typical glossy kind, very difficult to work with. Scores on photo paper will more than 99% of the time crack the ink and leave unsightly edges. There are methods to retouch such areas, including painting over the edges or spraying varnish, acrylic, laquer, or even Future over the paper prior to any modeling.

The scoring method for cylinders is tedious, and when I first started this type of modeling, I did employ this technique. However, I've found using different diameter/ length cylinders as a means of rolling the pieces to achieve a very smooth cylinder - omitting the possibility of imprecise scoring, which could lead to possible warping.

I've done a couple of paper models but MM has really taken over most of my modeling focus in the past year or so.

Ah, I've checked your site, and am impressed with your concepts. I do hope you'll resume paper models when you have the time.

Alright, this model has been in design for a while now, but technically the model is complete! The designer, imcold, designed and created templates for a 1/48 X-Wing Paper model - and wait - it's free!

Now, he has a site - http://imcold.evilhosting.org/web/xwing/ - and I believe he has a donation button somewhere. He's currently an unemployed student, and I'm pretty sure he'd be grateful for any donations. (I've checked the link, and it seems I can't access it without using wayback. Others are reporting that the link is fine, while some are experiencing similar issues to mine.)

For those who are interested in the development of the project, the design/ testbuild can be found here:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/10761-x-wing-1-48-another-one.html

Here's an impressive picture of the finished project, built by Sagittarius on the papermodelers forum.
(Thread for the build is here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/16111-x-wing-red-2-1-48-imcold.html)

Make sure to drop imcold a thank you!

Fiddlersgreen has yet again added more freebies, more from the WW1 era.

ALSO - DAZ3D is offering 3 of their modeling programs for FREE, (a normally $1000 or so value). JUMP ON IT WHILE YOU CAN! http://www.daz3d.com/

On a bit of an off note, I was reading another forum where someone tried advocating paper models, and was met with reprisal. The comment of one user, who will rename anonymous, had this to say,

"paper is for writing on and drawing pictures. I'll stick to styrene and resin thank you. "

And at that, my heart sank and my tears ran :'(

Fruit:

Haters, just got to hate. I would just ignore them and move on with life. They get some sort of thrill out of reactions to hateful comments. They are trying to spread the hate, and if you leave them alone, they are not happy.

Thanks for the links!

well he doesnt know what he is missing. and is an obvious ass, I for one am Relly intrigued by these paper kits, So dont let him get to you, if you do it means he is winning in his own little war to grieff people he does not know.

Fruit said:
Fiddlersgreen has yet again added more freebies, more from the WW1 era.

ALSO - DAZ3D is offering 3 of their modeling programs for FREE, (a normally $1000 or so value). JUMP ON IT WHILE YOU CAN! http://www.daz3d.com/

On a bit of an off note, I was reading another forum where someone tried advocating paper models, and was met with reprisal. The comment of one user, who will rename anonymous, had this to say,

"paper is for writing on and drawing pictures. I'll stick to styrene and resin thank you. "

And at that, my heart sank and my tears ran :'(

Hah....sounds like the mob attitude that has plagued a site I used to frequent (used to but no longer).
If a member who is not very popular make a post, the mob woul openly attack this person and the Mods will let turn the other way and let it happen.
Very sad, it used to be a nice place.

Latest posts

Back