Flames of War SU-85 unit

f2k

While we’re waiting for the big contest to start I’ve decided to take care of a small project that’s been on the backburner for a while – namely the repainting of my SU-85 unit.

I painted it quite a few years ago. And I wasn’t being very neat about it, to put it mildly...

I was in somewhat of a hurry to get it done (needed it for game-night a few days later) so I simply gave it a spray with War Paint “German Armour” undercoat, picked out a few details, drybrushed the tracks and roadwheels with metal and then dunked the whole thing in Fanatic Army Painted “Light Shade”. Very quick. Very dirty. Very, very ugly...

Normally I’d simply keep the whole model submerged in acetone until the paint had stripped off. But since this would damage the resin I couldn’t do that. So instead I soaked an old toothbrush in acetone and used that to scrub the model until the paint started to come off.

Didn’t really work that well, as you can probably tell. There’s still a bit of paint left on the tanks, but so be it. Hopefully it won’t matter too much once the undercoat has been applied.

For now, there’re still some minor details to take care of. The remaining fuel tanks must be cleaned and glued on. Two of the tanks had casting errors on the lower front plate which will have to be corrected with a bit of greenstuff. And I need to sculpt a hatch for one of the tanks.

Why?

Well, take a look at the SU-85 on the right. Notice how the casemate is slightly different?

I didn’t think much about it back when I painted the models the first time. Just shrugged my shoulders and got to work painting it. But now that I’m repainting it I did start to wonder about it.
A bit of googling later, and I discovered that the different casemate was, most likely, from an SU-85M tank. How it had ended up in a SU-85 blister...? Well... Who knows?

Not that it matters much in game terms. Okay, so it might not be entirely period accurate for a mid war army, but I’ll just pretend that it’s an early production prototype or something. One problem, though, is that the SU-85M has a cupola from the T-34 – and the hatch for that copula was missing from the blister. So out comes the greenstuff and sculpting tools...

In addition to repainting the tanks I’m also making a few custom bases for the tanks (well, any T-34 based tank really) to be cast in resin. Why? Because I can, of course! And because I’m one of the few Flames of War players who seem to like basing his tanks...

I'm sure they are going to look great with a little attention. Good luck!

Rentar1 said:
I'm sure they are going to look great with a little attention. Good luck!

I certainly hope they will... :D

I got to do a bit more work on them yesterday evening. I’ve now sculpted a hatch for the SU-85M, inserting a small piece of plastic sheet and filling the gaps with a bit of greenstuff.

I’ve also started working on the bases, but without much luck. As you can see, the greenstuff has lifted the edge of the base slightly and that just won’t do if I am to make a mould from it. So I need to get the greenstuff of the base again and think it over...

Grrrrr...

This is not going to be as easy as I had hoped.

Having put down the first few layers of undercoat I found that the remaining patches of paint/varnish did present some problems - the undrecoat just won't go on flat and smooth.

So I need to find some way of getting all, and i do mean all, the paint stripped away. Brown soap, breaking fluid, and rubbing alcohol have all been suggest. Well, I have some rubbing alcohol so I'll try that first.

I just hope it won't eat the resin...

Good luck with fixing the paint problem, f2k. Nice job on the scratchbuilt hatch.
I have a suggestion, those Rusky tanks are a whole lotta green, try painting the tank
tools and tarps a different color just to break up that green a little. Just an idea.
Keep up the good work. See you in the forum. Bill

f2k said:
Grrrrr...

This is not going to be as easy as I had hoped.

Having put down the first few layers of undercoat I found that the remaining patches of paint/varnish did present some problems - the undrecoat just won't go on flat and smooth.

So I need to find some way of getting all, and i do mean all, the paint stripped away. Brown soap, breaking fluid, and rubbing alcohol have all been suggest. Well, I have some rubbing alcohol so I'll try that first.

I just hope it won't eat the resin...

Get a cleaner or disinfectant with a high pine oil content such as Pinesol or Detol.

Soak them in neat fluid (several hours) and then attack with an electric toothbrush.

Works a treat and does not damage resin.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I've been soaking them in rubbing alcohol for a full week now, giving them a good scrub and replacing the alcohol a few times along the way and now they're almost clean. Sort off, anyway...

I don't think I'll be using the Army Painter shades ever again. That's some really nasty stuff, taking ages to get off. The new undercoat itself lifted straight off the model within the first twelve hours but a few patches of the shade still remains. However, it so little now that I think I can simply scrape the rest off with a knife and get back to working on the models.

I've just given them a final scrubbing and a good rinse under running water and now I'm simply waiting for the last of the water to dry off so I can get some paint on them.

Latest posts

Back