FineMolds Falcon Mandible Surgery 1/72

Jaitea

Hey,....time to bring this thing BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!!

Unknown-3.jpeg

Well,...since I had the airbrush out,....& the paint mixed for the Bandai,.....I decided to give this bird a blast,....it's been built & stripped on and off for....well....I suppose nearly 10 years,.....never had anything other than primer,......the mandibles are modded,....the jawbox narrowed etc,...etc

IMG_3572.jpg
IMG_3571.jpg
IMG_3573.jpg
IMG_3574.jpg
IMG_3575.jpg
IMG_3576.jpg
IMG_3577.jpg
IMG_3578.jpg
IMG_3579.jpg
IMG_3580.jpg

Fun!!

Thanks for looking

J

Han would be proud of your "Special modifications". ;D Profile lines looking good. 8)

so what's the big deal about the falcon's mandibles...what's wrong with them?

Quaralane said:
Looking really good here

Thanks Q,....told you I'd eventually get some paint on her

JohnSimmons said:
Wow the perfect falcon.

No,....the perfect Falcon is on one of your threads ;D

Hagoth said:
Han would be proud of your "Special modifications". ;D Profile lines looking good. 8)

Thanks Hagoth,....it's taken a long time

Jimi said:
so what's the big deal about the falcon's mandibles...what's wrong with them?

Oh,....well there were debates years ago,.....& grown men fighting & stuff.

The nice guys from FineMolds took some measurements from the 32 filming model (or perhaps the Master Replicas model,....dont know),....but they got some of those measurements wrong,....& with a ship like the Falcon if you get one measurement wrong it throws everything off,....look at the MPC kit & its overall thickness,....get that wrong then the sidewalls look to tall etc

The dimensions that FM got wrong are,.....the height of the ship is too flat,....the docking rings are too proud & doesnt have enough taper,....(because the height of he ship is too shallow)....the cockpit tube is in the wrong position,...the cockpit cone is too long,....the dish is too small,...the jawbox is too wide & because of that the mandibles dont toe in

Other than that,...the kit is very, very nicely detailed,...& builds up to a cracker model

My mods only fix the jaw & the mandibles,....& I've shortened the cockpit tube

Back when all this was an argument,...it was very hard to illustrate what the inaccuracies where,.....but only recently,...in the past couple of years there has been more official blueprints of the 32" & guys like Maruska over on Replica Prop Forum who have made 3D schematics using photomatching & new measurements from the Master Replicas Falcon.

I'll post some comparisons soon

J

Some more paint:

IMG_3685_zpsprkpnldl.jpg
IMG_3688_zps1y7j7oj0.jpg
IMG_3689_zpsr0jkr2tm.jpg

& some of the family:
IMG_3690_zps54o0wyao.jpg

Thanks very much for looking

John

Thanks Q & Ben

I decided to put some fans in:

jgDskP0.jpg

FGFNJUD.jpg

5sAt2X5.jpg

EUmzrcF.jpg

abbbZla.jpg

Gr7PcBi.jpg

Re-loving this model again

Thanks for looking

John

Really liking those fans! I have several sets of old rotary shaver screens and blades for just such a purpose. ;)

Scott Girvan said:
Looks incredibly cool.

Thanks Scott,....its great to be working at this scale,....pity Bandai won't release on this big

Hagoth said:
Really liking those fans! I have several sets of old rotary shaver screens and blades for just such a purpose. ;)

Thanks Hagoth,....These are the mine rollers from a Merkava tank and other wheels

Cave_Dweller said:
Wow that's some collection of Falcons. How do you display them all?

Hmmm.....not very well at the minute,...they go back into boxes ???

jake said:
John your painting skills are really inspiring me! I'm watching this one! :eek:

You & another guy called John are the masters of painting Falcons

Posted by: BenHobbie
on: 22 January 2016, 18:22:38
:eek:

Thanks Ben

Right,....not much difference on the surface,...but I had to do a bit of remodelling to the 6 exhaust housings,....when I put the grilles on them,....the grilles looked way too far down inside them, when they are supposed to be a good bit nearer the surface

IMG_3714_zpsc243acbm.jpg

IMG_3713_zpstk7sqerr.jpg

IMG_3712_zpsv6cjf5dq.jpg

IMG_3715_zpse30ja7mo.jpg

Thanks again for looking
John

Nice adjustment. Sometimes it is the little ones that make all the difference. Those fans and grills look awesome!

Latest posts

Back