Fine Molds Millennium Falcon 1/144th

Man, that's awesome. You are even doing a quite detailed base for it. I really hope you'll finish this thing in time, since I'd love to vote for it!

AMAZING amount of work on that, especially when you consider just how small that kit really is

Paint is almost done, thankfully. Still have more panel work to do. I noticed on the studio model there are several panels slightly off color of the base color. So no putting the masking tape away yet!

Updated: Managed to finish the final panel color tonight so I updated the photo.
falcon5.jpg

Wow! Nice paint work. I love how the Brass rods that you used don't stand out when painted, They work well with the body and the overall appearence has the same sort of flavor as the screen used miniatures.

I can't wait to see more progress.

Don't forget to add some earthy toned weathering in some of those bays, as well as the grey and black like on the studio models. :)

Been following all the vids and I love the updated photo.

That is looking killer!

;D

Thanks!! It might look icky, but it is still good work. Especially when you consider the size of it. I have noticed that most model work doesn't stand up to really zoomed in close ups.

Here you are, as I promised on YouTube. This is a picture I took of the falcon miniature that went on the Star Destroyer. The focus isn't perfect but it's still a good shot. :)

4692913872_5bb974f199_b.jpg

Looking forward to more progress on the model!

-Spencer

Neato. Thanks! I hope that red stripe on the bottom is in the wrong place, though. Cause that aint where I put it!

Part 15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdqEOmtUlSE Painting exhausts
Part 16 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P1x20HlhSw Washing and drybrush
Part 17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_epCGYTsk Oil fading, which didn't work out due to dead batteries
Part 18 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtwlSAZubTs Ruined the model here. Almost stuck it full of firecrackers and had a bang.
Part 19 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI9Sq6Ax8rc Paint chipping. One by one. Whee!

Hopefully everything will be done in just a day or two.

Dude....
Glad to see you could fix the mess-up.
The work you're putting in here is INCREDIBLE, especially with the small size of the model

You definitely saved it, because it looks incredible! Nice save and awesome job!

:eek:

I think I know what happened with the rust wash but I'm not sure about a couple of things so I may be wrong but I'll try to help anyway.

I don't know what you used for your clear coat but you said you mixed the MIG with an orderless thinner. If both the clear coat and the thinner were enamel based, then the rust wash might have reactivated the clear coat and you were actually blending the rust into that clear coat, which is why you couldn't remove it later. The two layers became one in effect. I will usually apply pigment washes over Future/Klear acrylic clear coat as it resists thinners better. Also, I use rubbing alcohol instead of thinner because it has even less effect on base coats, acrylic or enamel.

I also think you could have used less pigments or more of the carrier, instead of having a thinned pigment to apply, it should look more like slightly tinted, or dirty water. As you know it goes on looking like one thing but dries much more pronounced and I think that had a bit to do with the final outcome.

After it dries, you should be able to brush most of it off with a large dry brush and or clean it off with a Q-tip but because the thinner reactivated the clear coat, it was stuck for good.

Having said all of that, I'm not being critical of your work as you have clearly shown you have mad skill, what's important is the end result, which is stunning. For me modeling is about speed bumps and goofs and learning from them and I have come close to ruining many finishes over time, what's important here is that you soldiered on and recovered.

Awesome work! ;D

Nice save, I would hate to lose someone in my category because of a mistake like that. I want to win because I have good skills, and not because someone else messed up. Do the best job you can, because if I win, I know it was worth it. And if I lose I lost to a master.

Looking great so far...

It was over an acrylic flat varnish. I think the problem was that It was too thick and I applied too much. Also I tried spreading it out as I would if I was applying a regular ink wash, but that just spread it around. Also the thinner is suppose to act as a fixer, which it the only thing I was correct about... it don't wanna come off!

I tried it again with just water on the engines and it worked a lot better. I was just taking a break while wiping and altering it with a q-tip like you said.

Thanks for the kind words, but I know I have lots to learn. Half my models still end up in the garbage. I've been painting 28mm figs for nearly 20 years, but I've been building plastic kits for maybe 3 years and airbrushing for less than 1 year. I read a lot of neat tips and tricks, but actually using them properly, gah!

P.S. Compared to a 1 inch figure this kit is huge! ;D

Latest posts

Back