[FIN] Another Tamiya 1/48 BF109-E3

JediPuju

DreamKnight & Scott have kindly allowed me to post this here so thanks chaps!
I started this kit for the contest, but didnt manage to finish before the deadline. :(

I totally missed this GB until the other day so as DK says I could have been building "In spirit" at the same time as you guys! So I hope you dont mind the intrusion ....

Here for your viewing displeasure is my Tamiya 1/48 BF-109 E-3. Built out of the box.
Decals were from techmod. Which I must say were very nice, however I found them very thick and no matter how much microsol I poured over em, they didn't want to sit into the fine recessed panel lines. The decals were for Josef 'pips' Priller's "Yellow One"

Colours are most likely off, I just used the colour suggestions in the instructions and applied them based on some pics i saw of this bird on the net.

I wanted it "in-flight" so I modded the gears so they would close, and tried the guide here: http://www.ratomodeling.com/articles/turning_props/ to make a propeller blur.

Plenty of mistakes in there - but Im pretty chuffed with it!

Cheers,

Lee

[attachment deleted by admin]

Man that looks great! You should take MORE photos!

I am just starting my build for this...way behind - no hope of finishing on time, but I'm still gonna build it.

Hey Jedi!

That looks pretty good! Get more photos up for it :) Love to see them.

Go go Scott! You can DOOOO et! :) If you can't, no biggy!

That's a fine looking 109. Love the blurred prop effect.

That is so cool, well done. I love the second pic by the ways, really looks liek the Emil is diving in for some action. Tally Ho!

Some beautiful work,love that paintwork and the look of movement with propeller is a great touch,cool. 8)

Yes sir, Excellent paint job.

Colors and subtle weathering are a smash.
The prop effect is rad, did you make that or buy it?

Great work!

Well thanks all for the kind comments!

Maknifiso said:
Yes sir, Excellent paint job.

Colors and subtle weathering are a smash.
The prop effect is rad, did you make that or buy it?

Great work!

Thanks!
Theres a linky in my first post which I basically followed to do the prop. Its not to everyone's taste some people prefer to leave the prop off altogether. I filled in the nose then cut it roughly in half where the centre of the kit prop would have been with a razor saw.
I cut a circle of acetate sheet which I pilfered from the office from the room where you can bind documents. This was then gently rubbed on 240 grit sandpaper at roughly 120 degree intervals, making the disk look like its in motion.
I then made a template from a sheet of paper using a compass at 120degree intervals, making sectors +/- 10 degrees from the 120 marks. I cut out the template and used it as a mask, placing it on small rolls of masking tape allowing the airbrush to fade the edges. I sprayed slightly darker in the centres.

I sorted out a photobucket account so you could see more photos, so here goes:
my Camera is lame so sorry about the quality , plus I didnt really set up a nice area to photo it against, sorry bout that!

Right - Im off to resurrect that king tiger ... lataz!!

SSL23710.jpg
SSL23711.jpg
SSL23712.jpg
SSL23713.jpg
SSL23714.jpg
SSL23715.jpg
SSL23716.jpg
SSL23717.jpg
SSL23718.jpg
SSL23719.jpg
SSL23720.jpg

Wow that's nice. I love it! Feel free to zip it up with a description and email to me for the gallery.

I liove the prop too. It looks really, really good. JediPuju, that would make an excellent TIP for the site. Would you be interested in doing a photo tutorial? Step by step with photos of each step and text?

Scott Girvan said:
I liove the prop too. It looks really, really good. JediPuju, that would make an excellent TIP for the site. Would you be interested in doing a photo tutorial? Step by step with photos of each step and text?

Sure thing! Though Id feel a little like Im plagiarising the author whos guide I followed....

Latest posts

Back