[FIN] Airfix 1/48 - Hawker Hurricane

DreamKnight

Woot. In a couple of hours was pretty accurate. lol So here's my Hawker Hurricane. Never did an Airfix model before. Not sure if I'm really liking it but I guess you get what you pay for. lol Raise panel lines so I'm going to have to do some good deal of scribing.

hurricane01.jpg

Re: Battle of Britain - Air Superiority: Nerd Herd Group Build

What technique do you use to keep your scribes straight? I always have trouble, "jumping out of the groove."

for the messschmitt I'm working on, I usually just follow the old lines VERY carefully. lol but sometimes I jump out of it bt then I started to use I use a card from a card game to guide the blade. lol You can just use any playing card. The best way of course is to use a scribing template though. It's metala nd very bendable.

For straight lines, I use the tamiya scriber II and for little details like circles I put sewing needle in my pin vice. I need to purchase a couple of templates like these though to make my job easier:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/172-verlinden-scribing-template-280-p1697.aspx
http://store.spruebrothers.com/135-voyager-scribing-template-set-1-tez027-p14512.aspx
http://store.spruebrothers.com/135-voyager-scribing-template-set-2-tez028-p14513.aspx
http://store.spruebrothers.com/135-voyager-scribing-template-set-3-tez029-p14514.aspx

Shark said:
What technique do you use to keep your scribes straight? I always have trouble, "jumping out of the groove."

Here's a good scribing article - I found it helpful.
http://scihighmodels.com/howto_scrib.html

And I'd like to join in on the group build here. Not sure if I'll finish on time, but I'm going to try real hard to make the deadline...

[attachment deleted by admin]

OK so I've worked on the wing section. Lots of light sanding and then scribing. Some area are kinda sloppy on the account of trying to go without a guide but I ended up using a plastic ruler. Was just too hard to keep straight lines without a guide. The "divots" looks deeper than they are in the pic because of the angle I did the close up shots. It isn't that deep. The more crooked lines shouldn't look that bad once paint and weathering goes on though (I'm hoping anyways from experience lol)

hurricane05.jpg

hurricane06.jpg

hurricane07.jpg

Reposting some updates:

Using aftermarket seats, going to have to cut the canopy in 1/2 and need to put more details in the exhausts adding screens to both and drilling into the small exhaust for some depth.

hurricanemodaft.jpg

hurricanemodcanopy.jpg

hurricanemodexhaust.jpg

And the latest pics on the hurricane. Scribed the fuselage, assembled the wing piece together, assembled the propeller.

hurricane10.jpg

hurricane11.jpg

hurricane12.jpg

hurricane13.jpg

Woot! Got the seats in. So I have to piece together the resin stuff with the original cockpit backing it looks like:

hurricane15.jpg

Everything put together and airbrushed it cockpit green. Just have to paint in the details and apply a little weathering:

hurricane16.jpg

hurricane17.jpg

OK so here's the seat with details and some weathering done to it:

hurricane21.jpg

The side walls of the cockpit. One side was kinda bare so I looked up some pics and stuck in a container box and a pipe.

hurricane20.jpg

I was looking through some other pics and noticed the floor should actually suspended. I definately can't go all the way through since on the other side is the wheel bay so I'll try to just carve the shape out and fill it out with black and see if I can give it the illusion of being suspended. Also gonna have to stick some pedal straps on the pedals. I painted the areas I wanna curve out.

hurricane22.jpg

And for some reason, I've lost the gunsight either that it never got packaged. So I shaped this thing outa magic sculpt and I'mma gonna have to try and make one:

hurricane23.jpg

Some quick updates.

Here I made my gunsight. Used a piece of magic sculpt that I've cut and sanded then cut out a piece of clear plastic from the canopy sprue and sanded that down and buffed it. Attached it to the cockpit display.

And a pic of the canopy that I've cut into two.

hurricane25.jpg

hurricane26.jpg

Oh man, I cracked my canopy! lol I was seeing if the canopy would fit after some sanding in open position and I pushed down a bit too hard. Great excuse to purchase and play with a vacuform canopy! lol

Chung

Great subjects, guys! I haven't had a chance to check in and see how it's going, you've made a lot of progress.

I saw that comments about Tamiya vs Airfix, and I'll step up to defend Airfix, since I'm a nostalgia builder. Yes, the detail isn't what we expect today, because there is so much excellent tooling out there, from the giants like Tamiya and Hasegawa, or the smaller but exquisite makers like Accurate Miniatures, Eduard, Classic Airframes. But look on it as a blank canvas, an opportunity to flex your scratchbuilding muscles, if you'd like to add more detail. That's what we did, "back in the day". (Believe or not, I'm not that old :D )

And if I may offer an additional tip to Dreamknight's question (I think it was his) about scribing, for the guide, some people use Dymo tape. That's the tape that is used in old-fashioned label makers. It's rigid enough to act as a guide, but it's flexible and can be laid down on curves. You just take a piece and lay it on the surface to be scribed, and draw your scriber along the edge. It really helps on curves like the Bf-109 fuselage.

I'd love to join in, but I'm afraid my modeling plate is full for the foreseable future :(

Regards,
Brad

Hey Baron!

On the Dyno tape, if I can FIND any around here! lol I'll have to order them online but it's on my list.

Updates on my hawker:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeIrKXh0SIE[/youtube]

Hi, Chung, nice progress!

DreamKnight said:
Hey Baron!

On the Dyno tape, if I can FIND any around here! lol I'll have to order them online but it's on my list.

Is there an office supply store near you? That's where I'd look, though I see now, Dymo has it's own website :D

@ Baron
Haha, yah, I got on their website but found some other places online that I can order from so I'll try those places. Did you know you can get them in a baby pattern???? LOL

@ Jmac
I just put in my order the night before. :) They take 2 days to fulfill though. Bleh. But it got shipped out last night.

Latest Hurricane Updates :) It's still updating at the time I've posted this so the quality might still be low until it's done.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQkj9Z5_6Os[/youtube]

The Hurricane looks good.

Great stuff and great vids. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back