Father Son First Build/WIP Sdkfz 251

hook1169

"220 221 Whatever it takes" - Mr. Mom , M. Keaton
Hey all,

So as I have stated in other posts I have recently come back to the hobby. Apparently my renewed "addiction" has rubbed off on my two boys, ages 8 and 11. My 8 year old was the first to pick out his first project, which is the Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz 251/1 half-track. We have just tonight opened the box and currently have the sprue's soaking in the sink for a good rinse and clean.

This is my first my build that will be posted to this site (well heck any site really). Figured what better WIP than to do a Father and Son one as a first public build!

The tricky part is going to be running these two builds concurrently as i think my older son is settling in on a Flakpanzer IV he has found in my stash. Not sure how I am going to run all these build at once, since i have my own needs to deal with too ;D ;D..

Anyway here are some first pics as the box is opened.

My little dude and his first Scale Model..
DSCN0409-vi.jpg

4 sprues, 2 body halves, 2 tracks, 1 decal sheet, and 1 instruction sheet
DSCN0410-vi.jpg

Tires need a bit of help, if i can't sand these down nice, I may look for some aftermarket ones
DSCN0416-vi.jpg

The body needs some "bondo" in spots too...
DSCN0414-vi.jpg

I plan on attaching the PAK 40 i am finishing up to the rear end of this project in a dio of some sorts. I have a pic of it here below, but after base coating I dropped it on the way into the house from the garage and have a bit of work to do.... "MEDIC!!!! Man down!" :'(
DSCN0418-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

Hey, good luck to both of you! I look forward to being able to introduce my son to modeling as well soon, I will be watching how you guys progress. That hanomag is a cool little kit, done it before, and plan to do it again.

Awesome! Way ta go, DAD. Niether of my kids ever got interested in the hobby but both of my grandkids like it.

Awesome , nothing like doing a build with your kids. I recently picked this kit up, looking forward to the posts. :)

Epic He looks well chuffed to be building with you.

The Tamiya Plastic is soft so sanding wont be a problem ;)

Passed down from Father to Son....the way it should be :) I hope you fellas have a great time not only building,but spending time together :) I'am tuned in for sure!

nice to see young people are still interested in this hobby...and you've picked a good model to start with

Awesome. Just as it needs to be. Building the first model with dad.

It actually brings back good memories of when I built and painted my first kit. Together with dad at the kitchentable. Hours of fun and my first experience with the phenomenon called patience.

Cool kit your son has chosen. Built that one years ago. Also with all those figures that come with it you are already halfway a cool diorama. Looking forward to the progress.

FAUST said:
Awesome. Just as it needs to be. Building the first model with dad.

It actually brings back good memories of when I built and painted my first kit. Together with dad at the kitchentable. Hours of fun and my first experience with the phenomenon called patience.

Cool kit your son has chosen. Built that one years ago. Also with all those figures that come with it you are already halfway a cool diorama. Looking forward to the progress.

Exactly Faust, he was eagerly waiting for me as I got home from work to start getting into it. After cleaning the parts thoroughly last night we began initial assembly today after dinner. As we were cutting parts off the sprues and sanding, my son told me "this is way better than just getting something already put together and just painting it. Building it yourself makes it more special and is more fun"... Just one of the many of life's lessons I believe he will learn through this build.

That is a great experience building with your son. Introduce him in to the hobby and spend great Dad time together. Good for you Hook.

So a small update for this build. Cooper and I have been working on this an hour here and there and have made some good progress.

I have noticed that since this is an older kit the details and such are very much lacking, however since this is my sons first build I figured I would forgo the tedious additions of all the little details as well as adjusting those that just don't quite work. For example the bench seats are pretty much just flat pieces of plastic that I would have liked to make resemble the real thing, but would have probably lessened Coops desire to complete the project.

Anyway here are a few photos!

If anyone has some suggestions on how to add some "paint" to enhance the sterile feeling of this interior please let me know. I don't want to do much scratch work as i want my son to enjoy the results and see the model through to the finish. Maybe a filter? To the walls and the bench? Not much detail for pigment to attach to really so i am at a loss.
DSCN0436-vi.jpg

A bit of vallejo sepia wash to the grating to simulate grime from boots and such. May add a bit of a dark wash to this as well. Not sure yet.
DSCN0438-vi.jpg

Very simple drivers compartment. I look forward to doing the Hanomag 251 in the future sometime where I can add the needed details.
DSCN0439-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Coop and Dad!

Oh ya, I finished the PAK 40 that I plan on putting in a dio of some sorts with this 251. The thought is that the PAK 40 has been out in the weather for some time in a camo netted cover by a farm fence and the 251 is pulling up to load it for a move to a new location.

This will be covered by some sort of netting and shrubbery. Intent was make it look very grimy and almost wet and slimy from being in the damp for so long.
DSCN0433-vi.jpg

DSCN0434-vi.jpg

DSCN0435-vi.jpg

The ammo box i think i need to repaint.. Wanted it to look wooden, but all the pics show this as a metal green/grey container.
DSCN0441-vi.jpg

the build is coming together nicely! as for the interior, a filter would work nicely and maybe a random application of pigments. you must consider that the vehicle was probably exposed to the elements (since its open topped) and thus dust could build up on horizontal surfaces. also consider the dirty/muddy boots of soldiers treading within the vehicle, some built up pigment effects would work in that case too!

Thanks Andrei, going to give that a whirl. I have yet to work with pigments since returning to the hobby, guess now is the time to start! :eek:

Looking good! the pak came out very nice! Further to what Andrei said, some dry brushing as well on the seats and walls and that grated floor floor as well to help pop out some of the details that are raised, and suggest more worn areas will help bring some extra "life" to the interior.

Great work so far guys! Keep 'er up!

chriss67 said:
Very nice indeed fellas! whats your next kit?

Well I wanted to do the SU 152, but with the BSC coming about I think I need to get a plan together on what it is I am gonna do for it.... Hmmmm This Hanomag will probably still plug along a bit as we are taking our time and working on it here an there when the bug hits. But I need to get some ideas rolling for the BSC.

Anywho here are some pics from progress this weekend. Thanks for the tips on the weathering and dirtying up the interior, both Coop and I are pleased with the results as this is the first time we have used these techniques in a build. (disregard the fuzz stuck to the seat)

DSCN0447-vi.jpg

DSCN0448-vi.jpg

So I have a badger Renegade Krome and I was preshading all the seams when "Sppppllllooooosshhh" it gushed out a thick line of paint for a inch before I stopped and cleaned it out. Did i just have a glob of paint in there? Or is something else the matter? I normally mix a 50/50 with windex, albeit I have only been using a AB for a month or so. But this time i used Vallejo Thinner, which seemed to work really well except for this. (notice the front of the right fender)

DSCN0450-vi.jpg

If I had to take a wild guess, it was either "tip dry" or a small clump of paint that passed. If it's just preshading, I'd throw a drop of the grey and a drop of thinner to quickly blast over top and then redo the shading....or just ignore it and paint right over it !

Latest posts

Back