F4U-5 Corsair

Thanks once again guys...

I like the base very much myself. It's so incredible simple that I don't know why I didn't think of it before. And I would certainly use it again if I wanted to do another diorame (and I do...).

Anyway, the last update for today. Considering that I'me been working on a website inbetween gluing-sessions, I think it's been a fairly productive day.

Final update is the near completion of the aircraft. I've mounted the machineguns and the antenna. The finished fuselage had a rather nasty seam running along its back so I've covered that with plastic putty and once that's dry it should sand down just fine - fingers crossed...

I've also bend the propeller using the flame of a small candle. Man, that's not nearly as easy as it sounds - the time between the plastic going slightly soft and melting is just around a heartbeat or so. Perhaps I held it to close to the flame? Don't know, but with a bit of care I managed to get all four blades bent backwards.

Right now I'm wondering if I should replace the machineguns. The once included in the kit has nightfighter muffles on - which, of course, my daytime fighter shouldn't have. I tried to sand a bit of the muffler away but it's really difficult since the muffler is so thin - just around 1 mm. I could cut them off, drill the mounts, and then add a short plasticrod. But trying to drill a hole in such a small mount is not really something I want to try...

This is going to turn out amazing. Can't wait to see what's next! Keep up the great work and creativity.

Just a quick update: the bird's got some colour...

I didn't really like the original colour so I've come up with a mix of my own - it's a sort of slightly pale bluish grey version of the original colour. Once it's completely dry I'll probably hit it with a thin blue wash to bring out some of the blue again, and then hit it with varnish and hairspray before going berserk with pinwashing and weathering.

Oh... And incidentally I’ve now got this crazy “itch” to do some early war German Flames of War panzers. I think this mix is just what’s needed for the final coat of a colour modulated Panzer Grey paintjob...

Some quick progress there F2k,looks good with a coat on ;)

I like that model of the B17 ....its cool :)

Chris.

Chris S said:
f2k said:
ShutterAce said:

Thanks a bunch for finding that!

WOW !!! Excuse my ignorance !!! Thats actually real .....sorry ,I looked at the pic and the grass behind the B17 looked very big compared to the aircraft so I assumed it was a model ::) D'oh . ....What a twonk ...lol

Thanks for the link ,very interesting

Chris.

LOL... :D

Actually, I remember getting the same feeling when I first saw the pictures. There’s just something that screams “scale model” in that picture.

But it seems to be genuine enough.

Things have strated to really come together now...

After a blue wash I've airbrushed some weathering onto the bird, building up layers of pale gray, slowly feathering to very pale greyish white, in stripes down the wings and elevators as well as along the top of the fuselage.

I think it came out alright. What do you guys think?

You know: this is why I’m loving my airbrush so much. Can’t really understand how on earth I could do modelling for so long without one. I could never have done this sort of fading with a brush – no way! But with an airbrush even a noob like me can pull off a decent paintjob in a single evening.

Btw., you might note there’s some very faint white splattering on the fuselage. Nothing bad – that will go right away once I get the final weathering done – but it does explain why, if you look in the lower left corner of the picture, you will see my trusty Sparmax airbrush having been, quite literally, loved to bits... :D

I haven’t applied the final layers, a thin dusting of almost pure white, as I want to get some decals down before doing the final weathering.

Ah well... That will have to be done at some later point... Right now the paint needs to dry before I apply some varnish to take the decals. Besides, it’s just about time I get some shuteye – gonna be busy at work tomorrow...

Looks good F2k , yip an AB makes such a difference to your modeling dont it :) as you say ,there is so much you cant do without one .

That B17 ....no matter how many times you look at that pic it does still look like a model ...lol it was the size of the grass that threw me ,but when you look at the whole pic on the link it makes more sense as you can see the trees and other stuff ...it is defo for real ,just one of those funny pics ;D

Chris.

Looking good F2K

Funny you say that Chris. When I first saw the pic I thought it was a dio too. I swear I've seen one that looks just like that - weird.

No pressure, eh?

I’m hoping to get it done over the weekend. Decals going on tomorrow (don’t think I’ll have time tonight) final weathering and finishing the base on Saturday, and then adding the water and letting everything dry during Sunday.

Yeah, I can do it...

Riiiiigth...

I really shouldn't make promisses...

Really shouldn't...

I think I might be a day delay. Tonight I was looking over the placement of the decals and then noticed that there were a few areas on the plane highlighted in a different colour on the drawing.
And sure enough, both wingtips and the tip of the tail needs to be painted yellow.

Bugger...

So I've just masked off those areas and put down a white undercoat. Just hope that the masking was tight enough...

Latest posts

Back