F1 Prediction Game 2013 season

The Nylon Gag

Morning F1 buddies

I see in another thread that we have a few F1 fans here at SMA so rather than take over that thread i thought i would start a new one.

I have been a huge F1 & Motorsport fan since the late 70's. I love F1 but I also watch MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, World Super Bikes and Indy Car.

I'm originally from England but i now live in Miami, Florida, about a 20min walk from the Homestead/Miami Speedway in fact. I've been to several Indy Car races there but they no longer run them and i'm not a huge NasCar fan so i haven't been to the track for a while.

AnyHoo, I have a suggestion for a F1 game that could people can play this season, I invented the game about 25 years ago when only the top 6 drivers scored points. I often thought that sometimes it was harder to predict 4th, 5th and 6th positions than 1st, 2nd and 3rd, especially through the Senna and Schumacher era. So i came up with this game.

The idea of the game is very simple, you just predict the top ten points scoring positions in every F1 GP.
You will recieve 2 points if you get a driver in the top ten but in his wrong finishing position and 5 points if you get the correct driver in his correct finishing position,.

Got that?

Its very simple, i've found it makes it more interesting sometimes because maybe your rooting for Kimi to finish 5th so you get more points rather than him finishing 3rd.

Let me give you an example, this is from Hungry last year, Igard is my buddy from this site, we played for most of the 2012 season and a few other people played for a couple of races.

My(Toe's) top 10 Igard's top 10 Race result
1. HAM 5 RAI 2 HAM
2. RAI 5 HAM 2 RAI
3. BUT 2 ALO 2 GRO
4. ALO 2 BUT 2 VET
5. GRO 2 GRO 2 ALO
6. MSC 0 VET 2 BUT
7. WEB 2 MAS 2 SEN
8. ROS 2 WEB 5 WEB
9. MAS 5 MSC 0 MAS
10. MAL 0 MAL 0 ROZ
25pts 19pts

The prediction must be submitted before the cars roll off for the parade lap on Sunday and that's about it. It's usually up to the person when they make there prediction, I always try to do it before Qually but after Friday practice, it depends on how difficult you want to make it.

At an old company I worked for, I ran a sweep steak based on the game where everyone put in a pound a race with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place cash prises at the end of the season.
We also did it for the Drivers Championship and the Constructors, both scored in the same way, I made little forms with cool FIA graphics on them, these were handed out on Friday morning and had to be submitted, with the money, by 3pm that afternoon.
They were then locked in the safe till Monday morning when i had to go through them and work out everyones points and hand them back. It was really good fun, and made you interested in more drives than just the first three positions.

Well, i've gone on for long enough, just thought i would suggest it.
What do you guys think, would you be interested in playing?

Take care

The Nylon Gag

We did this for a race two or three at the end of last season and it was fun. Im in man Count me in for sure. That was fun. Im sure Spudster would be in too.

Well, finally the F1 season is about to kick off (sorry wrong sport) ;D , if your interested in playing along with us you can join in on this thread or PM me or summit, just make your top 10 prediction and have it posted before the cars roll off on the formation lap on Sunday.

As its the first week you can also give a Drivers Championship top 10 and a Constructors Championship top 10, all the scores from every race, the Drivers Championship and Constructors Championship will be added at the end of the season to find a winner, Just for fun or there may be a small prize? 8) watch this space.

Have a great weekend and Enjoy the race.

Gag

I'll submit my top 10's now. I think we can wait until after quallie? Am I right? I'll just go ahead and submit mine now though.

Ozzie GP top 10 :-

1. Vet (yeah, I know ::) )
2. Ros
3. Rai
4. Ham
5. Web
6. Alo
7. Gro
8. Hulk
9. Mas
10. But (If he's lucky :mad: )

Yeah, I'd really like to see McLaren win big this year, but it's not looking good for them right now. I'm really a Ferrari fan, but what I want most is a competitive season of racing. Red Bull tactics don't impress me one bit. Set-up for fast cornering, qualify on pole, get +1 second lead in the first couple laps before DRS kicks in, drive home to win. Not fun IMO.

My top 10 constructors for the year :-

1. Red Bull
2. Ferrari
3. Lotus
4. Mercedes
5. McLaren
6. Sauber
7. Force India
8. Williams
9. Toro Rosso
10. Marussia

Top 10 drivers:-

1. Vet
2. Alo
3. Rai
4. Ham
5. Web
6. Ros
7. Gro
8. Mas
9. But
10. Per

Can't see past Vettel. I think it should be a good year of racing, but the competition for 1st place will be poor from the other teams. I also believe that the manufactures (Ferrari, Merc and Mclaren) will be concentrating on their 2014 season halfway through this season is finished. I think that will hinder them this year, but strengthen their position next year when the new engines are introduced.

That's my take on things. Have a good weekend everyone and enjoy the race! :)

Will submit my picks after quals tonight at 2 AM. Thanks for doing this again this year. It was a blast the few races we did it last year. Looking forward to a competitive full season this year. I do have to beg the differ with Button in tenth this weekend hahaha. Thats been Red Bulls tactics the past two or so years. Its worked so I guess if its not broke dont fix it. I think the Iceman has a little sumfin sumfin for Vettel this year ha ha ha ha. Be back with my pics later this morning.

Qualifications pushed back until Sunday due to inclement weather from too much rain in Melbourne. Vettel was on top of the speed charts after qualifying session 1 that I stayed up till 2 AM to watch and after 330 till I got to bed only to have the remainder of the sessions pushed back till tomorrow hahaha.

Looks like typical Melbourne weather with more of the same today... Hopefully it will clear up come race time.

Go Webber! ;D

these predictions games are kinda fun but im out of the loop on who is who and how good they are. ill hope to join in after a few races and see whats what.

ill make one tough Hamilton will loose his cool and not Finish :D

I was so pissed, i sat down to watch Qually(recorded) and they showed Friday practice 2, WTF.

Then i come online a see that qually 2, 3 was cancelled until Sunday morning because of bad weather.

I'm drunk now, so i'd better make my predictions before i pass out, ;D give me a break ok , its Satuarday night for Elvis's sake ;D.

Soooooooooooooo, top ten.

In theory this should really be my Championship prediction also, Right? ;)
Gotta go with my heart.

Australia Race.

1. BUT
2. VET
3. RAI
4. ALO
5. HAM
6. WEB
7. PER
8. DIR
9. MAS
10. HUK

CHAMPIONSHIP DRIVERS

1. BUT
2. ALO
3. VET
4. RAI
5. HAM
6. MAS
7. WEB
8. GRO
9. ROZ
10. DIR

CONSTRUCTOR'S

1. McCLAREN
2.RED BULL
3.FERRARI
4.LOTUS
5.MERCEDES
6.WILLIAMS
7.SAUBER
8.TORRO ROSSO
9. FORCE INDIA
10. CATERHAM

I, like IGARD, just hope its an interesting and competitive season with lots of twists and turns that keep us entertained all season long.

Enjoy the season everyone and may the best man/team win.

Gag

Well guys Im going to have to join in starting the second race. I was under the understanding that quals 2 n 3 were to be held at 2AM this morning. Tuned in and it was the actual race. So that threw my method right off. I went to bed to watch the race and fell asleep before it was over. The last I knew Kimi was leading and ducked in for a pit stop. Massa was leading Vetel, Alonso was in the top five as well as Sutil. Dont know whats happened from there. Im going to be checking it out right now ha ha.

Upgraded my Sky Tv package to HD yesterday and i got the Skysports F1 channel with it so now i have F1 in HD and on the ipad app i have this gem from skysports
IMG_0084_zps30534c69.png

race day is going to be fun with this, but i wont be up early to watch a race :D

That looks wicked Spud, no excuses now not to join in. ;D

Well i just tallied up IGARD and my points for Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie.

The race results and our predictions looked like this:

Race Results IGARD Pts. GAG Pts.
1. RAI VET 2 BUT 2
2. ALO ROS 0 VET 2
3. VET RAI 2 RAI 2
4. MAS HAM 2 ALO 2
5. HAM WEB 2 HAM 5
6. WEB ALO 2 WEB 5
7. SUT GRO 2 PER 0
8. DIR HUL 0 DIR 5
9. BUT MAS 2 MAS 2
10. GRO BUT 2 HUL 0
__ __
16. 25.

I really enjoyed the race, interesting to see the tires degrade so fast, going to make for an interesting season i think.
BUT was disapointing to say the least,
Ferrari looked fast,
Red Bull looked fast and so did Lotus.

GRO had a difficult race because he said the cold conditions of Q3 suited his set up better than the slightly warmer conditions of the race where as RAI's set up was bad for qually but good over longer runs. The balance between a good and bad car looks very fine this year, so it should make for an interesting season with a smooth driving style being key to a good result, so i still have faith in BUT (Mr Smooth) for the season.

Just watched FP1 from Malaysia and the hard (orange) tyres are just falling apart in the heat but they predict rain at some point during the weekend so we will have to wait and see.

I will have to get drunk again before my Malaysia prediction, ;D 25pts. is pretty good for the first race it equals my highest score from last year and i didn't see qually so again not to bad, 16pts for IGARD is also good, above average, anything over 12 is good.

Come on folks, join the fun a put in a prediction for Malaysia before the cars roll off on the formation lap on Sunday.

This is the official F1 web site with all teams and drivers listed-

http://www.formula1.com/teams_and_drivers/

If it rains this weekend in Sepang it could be a lottery so just pick 10 names and see what happens.

Will post my predition on Saturday night

Take care

Gag

Here I was thinking I was off to a flying start with 16 points, but Toe goes and makes 3 spot on predictions. Good calls mate! What were you drinking I wonder? I want some!

Ok here's my top 10 for Malaysia:-

1. Alo
2. Rai
3. Vet
4. Ham
5. Web
6. Mas
7. Ros
8. But
9. Dir
10. Per

Spud, I don't like the sky coverage as much as the beebs, but they do have some nice apps and it's pretty cool to have a whole channel dedicated to F1. Now if only they'd provide the HD channel to us Virgin Media subscribers, SD is not how F1 should be viewed in this day and age!

Enjoy the race guys! Would be great if we got a couple more folks in the game. Join in the fun! 8)

i dint think much of the commentators on bbc, they went bad tough but we will see what its like on sky

spud said:
Upgraded my Sky Tv package to HD yesterday and i got the Skysports F1 channel with it so now i have F1 in HD and on the ipad app i have this gem from skysports
IMG_0084_zps30534c69.png

race day is going to be fun with this, but i wont be up early to watch a race :D

Kimi second quickest in P2 ME LIKES :D

Im recording Quals at Malaysa as we speak :D

just watched Qualy. if its dry i dont fancy Vettel, His lap was fantastic tough so it should be an interesting race :) 8am race time..... hmm

1. Fernando Alonso
2. Luis Hamilton
3. Felipe Massa
4. Sebastian Vettel
5. Mark Webber
6. Kimi Raikkonen
7. Jenson Button
8. Adrian Sutil
9. Nico Rosberg
10. Romain Grosjean

Massa is going to break the spell this weekend.

1. Felipe Massa - Ferrari
2. Kimi Raikkonen - Lotus
3. Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
4. Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
5. Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes
6. Mark Webber - Red Bull
7. Nico Rossburg - Mercedes
8. Jensen Button - McLaren
9. Sergio Perez - McLaren
10. Romain Grosjean - Lotus

1. VET
2. ALO