EXTERMINATE!

Splashcoat

jk_060408_dalek1.jpg
Here’s a look at my build up of Comet Miniatures 1/8 scale Dalek kit. I detailed and finished this Dalek (Mk III Travel Machine) as seen in the classic Doctor Who episode, “Genesis of the Daleks”. The majority of the kit was built straight-from-the-box with the exception of the following:

I replaced the thin plastic rods surrounding the gun barrel with annealed wire for a tidier appearance.
I replaced the solid plastic dome lights with clear LEDs.
The eye-stalk was replaced with a scratch-built item as the required part was missing from the kit.
The “Microwave Receiver” dish between the arms was replaced with one fabricated from thinner sheet plastic.
The vinyl mesh provided with the kit to create the collar just above the arms was impervious to both paint and glue; I used the kit part as a template to make a new mesh collar from fiberglass window screen.
I painted the body of the model with a mixture of Gunze/Sangyo RLM75 & RLM81 which seemed pretty close to the grey, semi-gloss sheen of the “Genesis” Dalek. The skirt hemispheres were painted semi-gloss black prior to installation. This is a representation of a Dalek which just rolled off the assembly line so I left it un-weathered.
jk_060408_dalek2.jpg

Latest posts

Back