Exploration Sets-Trek and Galaxy Quest

Quaralane

For a relatively quick and easy build this time, I went for a couple of "Exploration Sets" from Star Trek, and Galaxy Quest
st-gal-exp-00.jpg
st-gal-exp-01.jpg

After starting the two sets, I decided to add a relatively cheap "prop" phaser from my local costume/party shop to the set
st-gal-exp-06.jpg

A quick look at the various parts, afraid most of them came off the sprues at some point during shipping.
The Trek set
st-gal-exp-02.jpg

The Galaxy Quest set
st-gal-exp-03.jpg

After stripping the chrome from the parts, I built up the Trek set pretty much straight out of the box.
There are NO locator pins on ANY of these parts, and the proportions of the communicator here are TERRIBLE.
I did go and add in a strap for the tricorder using some fabric trimming strap
st-gal-exp-04.jpg
st-gal-exp-05.jpg

The Tricorder and Communicator were painted with black, then the details were added by hand, followed by the decals.
The Phaser's main body was painted with a rattlecan blue that looked about right, then the rest was hand painted in dark grey primer and silver.

The Galaxy Quest pieces were pretty much assembled out of the box and left unpainted, although I did paint the insides of the blue inserts on the Nebulizer with glow in the dark paint followed by white to make them stand out.
Other details were painted in with black.

For the prop Phaser, the only real modification I made was to drill out the barrel.
The prop phaser was given a coat of rattlecan primer grey, followed by painting in some areas with either a darker grey, or lighter grey.
This was then sprayed over with Testor's Graphite Dust, and then the handle inset was repainted in with the Vallejo dark grey primer.

All of the pieces were given a coat of Krylon gloss to seal in the paint and decals.

Finished build pics:
st-gal-exp-07.jpg
st-gal-exp-08.jpg
st-gal-exp-09.jpg
st-gal-exp-10.jpg
st-gal-exp-11.jpg
st-gal-exp-12.jpg

st-gal-exp-13.jpg
st-gal-exp-14.jpg

Youtube link:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDelMw1Awf0[/youtube]

;D ;D ;D Pretty Awesome

We would have killed to have all that when we were kids .

.. . I remember one of my friends had a phaser . pretty big deal back then 8)

Thanks, urumono.

Never got to have them as a kid myself. Really wanted them, though

Same here!

Looks good Q! Thanks for showing them I have wondered about this set for years.....

A cracking job there Patrick.

You have taken what little you had & turned into something special.

You would never know the toy phaser was a toy after what you did to it.

Talking Trek weapons, I did ponder getting the resin phaser rifle from First Contact a few years ago, until my wife saw the price. :'(

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne.
I thought about a resin phaser, but the price tag made me hesitate

Latest posts

Back