Entry #8: 1/48 2-tone TIE Fighter

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
That's right!!!! 26 hours from this post to build, paint and photograph a kit!!! This is the old AMT 1/48 TIE Fighter (from the 2-pack...heck of a deal if you find one for $20). There will be no lighting and super detailing. Heck, there aren't even clear parts being added to this build. Straight plastic, pure and simple...

k-bigpic.jpg

twocolortie-0000-t.jpg

twocolortie-0003-crop-t.jpg

twocolortie-0005-t.jpg

So backstory: some time ago I came across these reference photos of some screen testing of different colored TIE Fighters. I love variations on a theme so I was naturally inclined to want to build this one. Now's the perfect time. From what I gather, ILM was initially thinking that these really would be the color (the full maroon, that is) but after testing how the craft looked during capturing (and with motion blur) it was overwhelmingly evident that the lighter blue/gray would be a better treatment. Thus arrives the TIE's we know and love. Looking closely at these ILM shots, you can see there is less dark/light gray variation on the maroon side. However, you can make out a panel variation. Interesting. Even more so is the interior!! You can see the painting the interior in the same 2-tone scheme!! Hot damn!

2tonetie_img_3506.jpg

2tonetie_img_3507.jpg

2tonetie_img_3508.jpg

2tonetie_img_3509.jpg

2tonetie_img_3510.jpg

Back to the build, so far so good. Like I said, I'm not super concerned with detailing, mostly because the kit detail is already solid. I built up the interior pieces but kept the pilot, forward viewport and ion engines separate because I will do some color variations on them before getting into the main painting. It's out back with drying primer right now....perhaps if I don't fall asleep to quickly tonight I'll take some shots of them. Then tomorrow it'll be pre-shading first thing then masking and painting!! I'm also planning on going to Walgreens tomorrow to get a sheet of blue paper for the backdrop. Good times ahead. Good times...

Have at it Nick! Will you be taking the shots with the Tie upside down like in the ref pics lol.

Sir, the possibility of successfully completing a kit with one day left is approximately 3,720 to 1. No wait, those are the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field. :p Either way you are madly ambitious, and I cannot wait to see this finished! I love the idea!

Never tell me the odds! At this point I'm flipped sideways flying through crack...Primed, assembled (minus wings + pilot), preshaded and masked. Also added the little trapezoid thing inside the viewport. Light gray half drying now…

2tonetie_img_3511.jpg

2tonetie_img_3512.jpg

2tonetie_img_3514.jpg

2tonetie_img_3516.jpg

2tonetie_img_3517.jpg

2tonetie_img_3518.jpg

2tonetie_img_3519.jpg

2tonetie_img_3520.jpg

2tonetie_img_3524.jpg

2tonetie_img_3526.jpg

2tonetie_img_3527.jpg

Getting closer!!!
Wing masking
2tonetie_img_3531.jpg

color mixing: tamiya flat white some red, dash of blue, dash of haze gray
2tonetie_img_3532.jpg

gray half done! straight testors light gray
2tonetie_img_3534.jpg

ready for pink!
2tonetie_img_3535.jpg

pop!
2tonetie_img_3536.jpg

pilot in place
2tonetie_img_3538.jpg

frame in place
2tonetie_img_3537.jpg

masks removed!
2tonetie_img_3539.jpg

now for flat coat! this guy gets NO washes...but perhaps i will do the cannons and engine lights...

Ready for the final shoot! Got everything painted and assembled. The cannons were painted dark gray with orange tips and the ion engines got some bejeweling action.
2tonetie_img_3540.jpg

2tonetie_img_3541.jpg

I had an extra Round 2 dome base without a ball joint so I used a 5mm styrene rod.
2tonetie_img_3542.jpg

Funny enough the opening for the kit stand is 5mm. Even funnier is that the opening on the clear rod is 5mm.
2tonetie_img_3543.jpg

So to answer your question John, yes, I will be taking upside-down photos. :p
2tonetie_img_3544.jpg

Ha! You did it! Awesome work man! Looking forward to seeing the final shots. Now I KNOW you can get one more done!

Latest posts

Back