Enterprise Bridge-new layout-SMA BSC 2014

Quaralane

Okay, for the next build, I'm going to be starting with the re-issue of the old AMT Enterprise Command Bridge kit from Round 2
20131025_132822.jpg

I have plans for this, though, that should make it a fairly unique model when I get done.
To fit those plans, I have picked up a copy of the older version of the kit to supply needed chairs, a second turbolift, and more figures.
I'll also be using the photoetch set that ParaGrafix has released for this model

We start with the "proof of start" pic, showing the unbuilt bits and pieces in the boxes
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-01.jpg

Roughing in the layout for my proposed "Phase II" configuration.
I've decided to add the second turbolift as we saw in The Motion Picture.
As can be seen, though, it results in a gap between the elevator deck plates and the deck plate for the science console.
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-02.jpg

To remedy this, I cut filler sections from the deck plate that I wasn't going to be using and spliced them into the gaps.
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-03.jpg

On the turbolift doors, I adressed a flaw in both versions of this kit. Namely the lack of a "door frame" around the doors themselves.
After drawing in a line where the deck plate would reach, I measured and cut some plastic card to create the new door frames and then glued them into place with Tamiya Extra Thin
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-04.jpg

From there, I copied the templates provided by Paragrafix for locating the etch on the panels. Then I glued them down with Elmer's white glue.
This didn't quite work, as the templates started coming up once I started trying to glue the etch down.
To solve this, I went a different route. I painted over the templates with Tamiya Extra Thin. Once that dried, the templates were practically part of the plastic.
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-05.jpg

With the templates now secure, I moved to actually gluing all of the etch into place on the panels, command chair, and helm.
To aid in placing some of the tinier pieces, I took a hint from BadGrendels, and used a toothpick with a tiny dab of poster tack on the end of it as a handle
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-06.jpg
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-07.jpg

To supply a "floor" for the lower deck level, I glued the assembled deck plates to the top of the kit box. Once that was dry, I trimmed it to shape
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-08.jpg

I assembled the stairs, command chair, and helm console as per the instructions, but haven't glued them down yet to aid in painting
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-09.jpg

For the command chair, I decided to make one more modification.
Using plastic card, I added a higher back to the chair as well as seat cushions.
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-10.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsPehrtx2l4

Actually, I started work on this a couple of weeks ago.
The etch alone took about two and a half hours to put on, so i only did a bit at a time

I remember that kit when I was younger. It's nice to see the old kits again getting re-released. That is going to look amazing when completed.

Thanks, all.
@JohnSimmons,
It's entry number five, if I get her done in time.

@Grendels,
Definitely a lot of etch, but not as much of it was tiny.

Quaralane said:
Thanks, all.
@JohnSimmons,
It's entry number five, if I get her done in time.

@Grendels,
Definitely a lot of etch, but not as much of it was tiny.

LOL!!! Yep that tiny etch can drive you bonkers!!

Time for a small update on the build so far.

Finished the etch work by placing the little triangle pieces on the backs of the workstation chairs.
Rather than cut the individual pieces, I made my life a little easier by cutting them from the fret in groups of three for easier placement
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-11.jpg

Using both the new kit, and old kit figures, I've gotten them all put together.
I used the older kit figures of Spock and Sulu for two generic "redshirts" by using spare heads from the newer kit.
I also used the older kit's version of Kirk to sreate a Scotty for this layout.
The newer figures are far suoperior to the old ones, both in terms of quality and in poses
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-12.jpg

Got started painting this one.
All of the pieces were given coats of either grey primer from rattlecan, or from airbrush.
The deck plates were painted with Badger's Armor Sand.
The smaller console screens were painted with the same darker primer I used on the chairs and helm, then the actual console surfaces were given a coat of Vallejo's dark grey primer.

The backs of the chairs were painedc with the same dark grey primer, as were the cushions on Kirk's chair

There's still some touchup work to do, but it's coming along
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-13.jpg
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-14.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMaqU7mEzrk

All right, time for a progress report in this build.

Got the touch up painting on the bridge panels completed, as well as the red trim on the front edges painted.
I've also gotten the turbolift doors painted
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-16.jpg
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-17.jpg

Installed the handrail supports around the perimeter of the deck
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-15.jpg

After doing that, I decided that the seams between the plates needed filling.
So, out came the Squadron white putty and I went to work
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-18.jpg

With the putty sanded, I repainted the deck.
After that, I painted the rail supports in the same grey I'd used on the panels and the riser for the deck.
Painted the handrails in red, and put them into place.
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-19.jpg

Got a coat of sealer on the control panels, helm, and arms of Kirk's chair so that I could get to decalling
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-20.jpg

Mr. Spock's Science station after decalling, but prior to me putting on the scope.
On each of the large consoles, there are a total of 12-13 decals, including the upper screens, the eight smaller screens, the consol itself, and the decals for the lower vents.
For the console decals, I opted to cut them in half to make placing them easier.

side note: a LOT of Micro Sol was used to make the decals settle onto the etch.
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-21.jpg

Started installing panels around the base deck as I finished work on each control panel.
At this point, I had installed both the sensor scope on Spock's console and the scope on the Helm
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-22.jpg
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-23.jpg

As decal work was winding down, I cut a couple of pieces of sheet styrene to make the fillers on either side of the Science console.
I scored them on the front prior to painting them in the same grey I've been using.
My plan was to place electrical tape on the back to help reinforce them while I folded them into shape
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-24.jpg

At this point, all of the consoles have been decalled and installed.
The empty chairs have been glued into place.
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-25.jpg
SMA-BSC-2014-Enterprise-Bridge-26.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnNdSPzjeU

WOW this Looks so good, this are my favourite Enterprise.
I like Spoc, Kirk, Pile and Co. :D

Latest posts

Back