sippin on gin + juice
- Dec 28, 2011
My airplane itch flared up an I boiled a few choices down to this bird. Iâ€™ve been wanted to build a Fishbed for some time now and this particular boxing (Egyptian AF markings) seemed as good place to start as any. This is a Full Meal Deal build, meaning all manner of aftermarket parts will be used during construction. One thing thatâ€™s nice about this build so far is that right now there are a lot of little steps here and there I can complete. That way it doesnâ€™t really intrude on my other temporal considerations! Little things like spraying the photo etch with a primer, trimming the pour stubs off the resin parts and completing the most minor assemblies are all easy enough in small doses. A process like this not only forces me to take time with my decisions, but also allows for a bit of therapeutic time since each step feels like I got something done.
Onto the build! I mentioned aftermarket partsâ€¦so here they are:
Eduard Brassin Wheel Bays
Eduard Brassin Wheels
Eduard Surface Panel PE
Eduard Exterior PE
Dreammodel Pilot (though I probably wonâ€™t use him)
Quickboost air scoops
Quickboost gun pod
Step 1: In order to make sense of all the material going into this, I compared all the various bits of instruction sheets and cross-references the steps. Taking notes on where PE and resin parts replace kit parts saves a bit of time and helps the planning process.
Step 2: Riveting! I love riveting. The kit has a small amount of subtle rivets but I love em. So I added more based on some orthos Iâ€™ve had in my files.
Step 3: Since the airbrakes are going to be displayed in the open position the recessed areas had to be cut out and added. I guess I didnâ€™t too quite as clean of a job as I should have because there were some gaps. Itâ€™s not too much of a concern since theyâ€™ll be in shadow on the belly. Just in case, I did add some putty to fill in the gaps and secure the parts a little better.
Step 4: Minor assemblies. The missiles and the drop tanks are going to be prepared separately so I built them up first, along with the ventral fin. Theyâ€™ll be easy enough to add on right at the end (save for the fin). All the parts that get sealed up inside the fuselage have to be prepped first so I also added some weights to the nose cone (in the form of some small screws and a nut) and also trimmed up the resin parts (wheel bay prep not shown).
Step 5: Prepping the fuselage. The instructions call for some parts of the interior to be painted aluminum, so I used my Krylon Silver Leafing pen. Itâ€™s a bit on the bright side but since those areas are mostly illegible when itâ€™s buttoned up it doesnâ€™t really matter. Looks cool now though. I also placed the forward wheel bay (just glued to one half).
Step 6: The Burner! Similar situation here with the painting and details. Yes, I added all the photo etch parts to the deep since itâ€™s just barely visible if you peek down the tube. Beyond that, I figured Iâ€™d use my new AK True Metals rub-n-buff wax! It really is a great product and I canâ€™t wait to use it more. I dipped a cotton swap into a little bit of the wax and spread it liberally on the nozzle feathers, wiping off the excess with a clean swap. After about 15 minutes it had dried to the point where I could buff it with another swab and boy, it sure shines up nice!!
Thatâ€™s about all for now. The next steps will be assembling the cockpit and sealing up the fuselage! Stay tuned!