Dust Tactics – Beobachtungsläufer

f2k

Even the best laid plans...

I wasn’t actually planning to do a tabletop game model this year. But when Dust Tactics, which I’ve had my eyes on for some time now, suddenly turned up at my local store I... Ummmmmm... “Accidentally” ended up with a box.

Turning the new Axis walker over in my hands, I had a sudden flash of inspiration. This walker is classed as an Aufklärerläufer (scout-runner), so why not upgrade it a bit to a Beobachtungsläufer (observation-runner)?

And so, yet again, a simple idea turned into a far-from-simple conversion.

Sigh...

I really need to stop doing this...

Anyway, as for the model itself, I must say that I’m not quite as impressed as I might have been. Yes, it looks good on paper. And yes, it comes pre-primed and ready for gaming or painting – whichever you might chose.
However, the quality of the model is somewhat lacking. There’re big gaps, which I’m not entirely sure are intentional, and while the various components are already glued together, the bond is far from well-done or complete. It’s certainly good enough for out-of-the-box gaming, but for seriously modelling and painting...

Well, I’ll just take it as a challenge then...

This is the original model, straight out of the box for a proof-of-entry photo.

A photo of the body. Notice the highly visible seams.

Beginning the process of magnetizing the model. I’ve cut of the original tabs of the model and glued rare earth magnets onto the model instead.

A full body shot of the magnetized model. I’ve also begun the conversion-work, having removed the front-plate and one of the hatches (or whatever it was supposed to be) from the top.

Finally, a photo of the model with the first round of greenstuff in place.

So, what’s in store for the model?

Well, I need to get the legs and body smoothed out which is, in all likelihood, going to involve a lot of plastic-putty and sanding. Once that’s done, I’m going to add a large bedstead antenna running almost the full length of the body and down the bag. Oh, and let’s not forget, scratch-building an entirely new set of weapons – right side will end up containing radio gear while the left side, already magnetized will contain... Well... I’ll figure that out as I go along...

I hope...

Really nice
I will watch this close been wanting one of the Dust kits for awhile
Good luck

Thanks guys, I’ll do my best...

In fact, while browsing Fantasy Flight Game’s webpage today I was surprised to see that they currently have a custom walker competition. Deadline’s on 10. May, so I better get cracking...

I’ve given the body a slight sanding and another round of greenstuff to smooth out the worst of the gabs. Once that’s been sanded down I plan to go over the whole thing with plastic putty to cover the rest of the seams on the model.

I’ve also decided to redo the magnetization. The way I did it the first time had made the join between the body and the legs some 5 mm. taller than original. Having thought about it, I decided I didn’t really like the looks of it so I went back, cut off the magnets, drilled some seriously big holes into the body, and re-glued the magnets into these. Set me back about a day, but jobz a good un...

I’ve also begun scratch-building the radio-box on the right hard-point. The basic idea is that this is an upgrade to the normal scout-walker, sacrificing a weapon in exchange for being able to act as spotter for any unit on the battlefield thanks to the extra radio equipment.

What can’t be seen here is that I’ve also magnetized that hard-point now. Feeling really sneaky, I thought that it would be best that way as the magnets would allow me to reattach the original weapon loadout to make it, once again, a game-legal unit – although not entirely standard looking.

Latest posts

Back