Dremel Recommendations

danimal518

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a dremel to make my modelling a bit easier. Any recommendations on what model I should buy and what bits I should have? Is there a good resource with descriptions of the bits and how I can use them for models?

Not sure on resources, or a list of bits, but my personal preference is the cordless Dremel Stylus.
Feels good in my hand and is variable speed

i looked at getting one of these
images

But ended up spending half the money and getting one of these
Nail-Drill.jpg

Its sold as a 'nail drill' used at those places in malls to do finger nails
tips are way cheaper, fwd or reverse, foot pedal or slider to control speed and id not go bad, its been an awesome purchase.
And something i would NEVER want on my fingernails

Dremels are great tools. I've got a 400 XPR and a Mini-Mite from yesteryear, but I haven't found much use for them in modelling. Even at the lowest setting (5,000 RPM) they tend to melt and chew their way through styrene. ...but maybe that's just me.

Matthew Amundsen said:
Dremels are great tools. I've got a 400 XPR and a Mini-Mite from yesteryear, but I haven't found much use for them in modelling. Even at the lowest setting (5,000 RPM) they tend to melt and chew their way through styrene. ...but maybe that's just me.

That is exactly why I don't use them....

Grendels said:
Matthew Amundsen said:

That is exactly why I don't use them....

Interesting. I read and see people use them to make monotonous tasks easier while modeling. Granted they do always say to be careful not to melt the plastic.

Do you think it's a worthwhile investment?

very worthwhile.
Depends on what I'm doing, but I only really have a problem melting plastic if I step up the RPMS.
If I work it at the low settings, I can carve and add detail with little problem

Latest posts

Back