Dragon's head made with clay

YOULI

That which does not kill us makes us stronger !
That's not the perfect thing but I wanted to share with you guys my very first sculpture with clay.
I've done many things when i Was young, with other stuff but never with clay. This was a first. And that would be a good way to show you my environnement. :D

photo015.jpg

That was during a "Foire Bio", a Festival were people sell or share all sort of things, natural things, and try to legitimate the fact that we have to be clever consumers. It was in a village, 30 or 40 km away from my little village in the pyrenean mountains in France. I was helping with the task to present the "ressourcerie", an all-share group (people donate objects, clothes, and stuff, other people come and take that away, no question asked, it's better than throwing away good TV set, toys and plates, right ?).

photo013.jpg

Weather was clement, the sun high and the mountains green. That was a good thing since before that, and even now, we have rain over and over... Ther was food, drinks, books and here a sculpture initiation was given by a beautiful young woman.

photo014.jpg

Still listening to her advises and references about the matter at hand, began to manipulate this clay-thing, and whithout even noticing it, began to obtain the shape of a Dragon's head. This dragon is one of my own design, inspired by the DRAGON SLAYER movie (1981) and many other drawings.

photo010.jpg
photo011.jpg
photo012.jpg

That was nice. I work on it 15 minutes...

I may keep it that way, since I don't have any way to "cook" it. I'll wait to find a way to get it better... or not.
The fun fact is that children all around me made trees, sheeps, horses, REAL animals... I was the only one to refer on Fantasy to try to do something out that muddy thing that is clay.

Thank you.

It dries eventually. So I began to paint it, even though it was good as is.

Some pictures later... :)

Completely forgot to post pictures of it dried and PAINTED.

Sorry. So, I painted it black then a white dry brush to help me capture the details. Then a coat of irridescent paint, and some chestnut ink and othe citadel inks... Some fluorescent paint for the pupiles of the eyes, some black, and "voila" :)

Thanks...

I think I'll try with other materials, to sculpt some old projects, maybe the Nausicaa's Insects (the anime, the manga, from Miyazaki you know ?).
Or other creatures... The sky is the limit now ! :D

Latest posts

Back