Dragon Ersatz M10 1:72

TRM

Hey there,

Last week I had the pleasure of finishing up a review for Armorama: Dragon’s Ersatz M10 in 1/72 scale. Not the most power packed of kits; it is still an interesting subject and a fun box of plastic!

Review: http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=9052

So after looking through the box and writing the review I figure what better time than now to build! Starting a couple days ago the glue came out. Being a low parts count the construction would be quick…just the way I like it!! Means I can get to painting faster !!

Not wanting to waste too much time I will bring you up to speed on where this “in between” build is at!!

All of the pictures of the kit parts are contained in the Review so I will not take too much time on the parts end of this. But I will start with some box art!!

MayReviews-BMP2072_zps9064ce40.jpg

This moves pretty quickly here and it is a small kit and I had a little time to spare.

MayReviews-BMP2084_zps949dee1f.jpg

MayReviews-BMP2101_zpsf47a8a2c.jpg

There is a few modifications that I decided to make as I went along. I probably could have went to town on this but the idea was not to bog myself down on a long term conversion type build but rather to get painting and work with some weathering.

The kit came with the Panther G rear plate having the exhaust installed; however, the pipes were not drilled out. There were three other exhaust options, for other kits, in the box. One of which was the right size and was drilled out. Time to chop and glue.

M10BMP003_zpse5170c0c.jpg

This is going to seem kind of funny but once the wheels are cleaned up things are pretty much all together.

M10BMP006_zps76628e49.jpg

Some more modifications I felt need to be to be addressed. The lift rings throughout this kit were all solid and molded directly to the upper hull. A quick snip and some small gauge wire resolved this issue. The lift rings on the upper rear plate as well as the plates on the side of the turret were thicker on the real tank being made from flat stock steel; some white styrene solved this one.

M10BMP012_zps78c50395.jpg

The thought of this kit not having a ton of details on or in the kit is more than valid; however, this tank was a stripped down Panther G with faux armor applied and really was not much more than what is depicted.

The kit was lacking screening for the intakes. Using some Thule and a sharp razor, this was easily rectified. There was probably slat cover plates over the right hand side vents as well as some screening over the fans but I chose to go without. The fan screening was problematic at best. This is where Dragon could have stepped up and supplied a thin screening material for the vents. The slat cover plates for the other vents…let’s chalk that up to, I think they were removed while they made modifications!! Works for me!

M10BMP034_zps488015f3.jpg

After all that, I decide to remove the vision blocks that were molded solid form to the upper hull. A small chunk of styrene and a couple of snips of PE sheet remnants this was pretty much done. You will notice a small flat plate on the front of the tank. This was a small opening for the Panther’s MG. The door was fashioned from a flat piece of sheet metal and a chain was used to open and close this door. You will also notice the two notches against each front fender at the bottom of the Glacis plate. These were small cutouts for the tow rings. Unfortunately, tow rings were not supplied with this kit. I will be stealing at least one from another kit I have lying around!

M10001_zps6102a3e1.jpg

M10003_zpsc8717b05.jpg

After a couple hours of work, spread out over a couple days, the construction was complete. TIME TO PAINT!! Did I mention I like to PAINT? LOL!! Even more so, I like to weather…so the fun for me is starting!!

Last night I had to just PAINT!! I broke out the AK Dark Yellow primer. This tank was painted with the German equivalent to the US OD coloring. Dark Yellow was a good starting point for me.

M10007_zps9a7bdd39.jpg

Not letting the grass grow at all under my feet I went right at some pre-shading. I stole the 4BO Dark Base from my AK modulation set and laid down the shade.

M10010_zpsb23a7325.jpg

I used Olive Green from K4 for the next highlight on this tank.

M10012_zpse7ce6274.jpg

After that I used K4’s Olive drab for some more highlighting throughout.

M10020_zps0e48e890.jpg

Finally I finished this off with some Life Color Green from their German Camo Set. I think this will work just fine for the weathering soon to come!

M10021_zpsea377408.jpg

So there you have it, paint is done on the Ersatz M10. I will be hitting a touchup or two and need to work the tracks and Decs of course, then on to some of the funs stuff…weathering!!! Back at this after a little yard work today!!

Thanks for tuning in!!!
| |)

I wish I could say it was done, alas, not yet. I have some progress pics and will be playing around with more of it tonight. I figure I will be done in a day or so....I think! LOL!!

Here is what I have been up to.

Decs are on.

M102003_zps87a1a911.jpg

M102007_zps3228b1e0.jpg

M102014_zpse9aab566.jpg

The tracks were a bit wonky to install. But they are in. I managed to get a filter on her as well as a pin wash...a little streaking.

M102016_zpsd1d30004.jpg

M102017_zps8c3a2f14.jpg

I will be getting the tracks dirty and some more weathering to come...almost there!

Thanks for swinging by!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wow T what a great job and subject! I thought this was 1/35! So what's this tank all about then? Was it a US captured panther?

quality work buddy and at this scale even more so...nice start to the painting process as well bud look forward to seeing more of your work on this

Thanks John!! One of these little kits is pretty fun to play around with every once and a while. LOL...You know!! ;D As for the Ersatz M10, one of Hitler's "smart" ideas for the Ardennes Offensive to have a brigade disguised as allied forces to first secure bridges over the River Muse before the real allied forces could destroy them and second, or along with, infiltrate the enemy’s lines wreak havoc. Neither of which would amount to anything. There was to have been a few troops to make it behind the lines before being discovered. This is a stripped down Panther G. There were a reported 5 made…lol…and one StuG? I don’t think anyone has an explanation of what the command was thinking with a StuG being painted in OD with the stars!! These Panthers didn’t look ½ bad for a quick costume. They never got the chance to meet their objectives. They were ordered to secure the town of Malmandy and the brigade would be disbanded shortly after.

Thanks Gee!! Appreciate it!

I think I will call this one done. A quick fix that I needed to feed the painting monster.

M10FInals002_zps77781a43.jpg

M10FInals010_zpsc981de0b.jpg

M10FInals018_zps4806f42a.jpg

M10FInals022_zps70e1c7e2.jpg

M10FInals025_zpsf2c57fde.jpg

M10FInals013_zps48100550.jpg

Had a some fun messing around with this one. These small kits, albeit not the most detailed sometimes, are still great to play with, experiment with and generally work well at filling a void when you need to just build something!

Thanks for checking it out!!

well done T you've done an outstanding job mucked up real nice looks right out the "battle of the bulge"top work again T

Yeah exceptional! And I've learnt something too! Now where's that Stug and my olive drab...

Hey Rook!! Thanks buddy!! appreciate you checking this out!!

Hi Gee...thanks again!! Didn't want to go too far over the edge this time...plenty of time for that still this year!! LOL!!

Thank you John!! LOL..did you google it yet!! That thing is beat!! Nice pics though!! Not sure what they were trying to acheive with that one...still looks like a StuG!!! 'Cept there is a Star on it!! LOL!!

Hi Jeff...thank you sir!!! I like the 1/72 stuff a bit...just not all the time....crosseyed for a few days!! :p

TRM said:
Hi Jeff...thank you sir!!! I like the 1/72 stuff a bit...just not all the time....crosseyed for a few days!! :p

IKR, a friend gave me a 1/72 Husky AVGP, i get eyes cramps just looking at the box!

Latest posts

Back