Dragon 1/700 USS Independence LCS-2

Bzzymatt

Stayin Bzzy :P
Hey guys!!! After all the excitement from my recent build of the 1/32 Japanese zero, i'm ready to start building a few other models before the next IPMS competition, so far I have an unfinished P-51 in a 1/48 by tamiya, that model is mostly paint work, but the other model I wanted to build was the USS Independence LCS-2.

About a year ago I had seen this kit before all built and well painted, but now I wanted to build my own version of this model with plenty of extra details and paint work.

IMG_0165_zps575cff3e.jpg

IMG_0166_zps5f444501.jpg
Kit content are fairly small

FLIGHT DECK:

For the flight deck there is plenty to detail. The most major detail that is not molded into this kit are the anchor points for the helicopters. There are, roaming around the internet, a photoetch set which includes the newly improved flight deck, however i love scratch building, so a large portion of this build will have scratch built details. Here is a reference photo I'll be using for my flight deck references.

Seahawk-01_zpsdd5f480f.jpg

I started by finding a reference top view with all the anchor points and sized it to the scale of the model. I cut out the flight deck and taped it on centered as could be. Next I took a #76 drill bit and drilled each whole individually (note i did not drill all the way through the plastic)

IMG_0167_zpsa300aaa3.jpg

IMG_0168_zps0c7f2aff.jpg

1 hour later, i got my first result!!! I am planning to widen each anchor point a little more and try to add the cross joint details to each one. So far I am going to try an idea I have to do this.

IMG_0170_zpsc5e58f13.jpg

cool! ive always been a fan of this ship design since it first hit water! great start to the project, looking forward to it!

OK!! So after doing more research and carefully looking at many different reference photos, I was ready to proceed to begin adding my own personal details to the model. I started off with the 2 exhausts. Although they are not visible from side views of the ship, it is clearly noticeable from this top view photo that I've cropped to size. notice the 2 black squares with the 2 circles in the middle?? this detail was clearly missed by the 1/350 and 1/700 kits of the Independence.

LCS-02_07ajpg2_zpsbc5f1293.jpg

IMG_0173_zpsff44a089.jpg

I resolved this little detail by cutting out a small strip of styrene and drilling out 2 holes. I split the piece of styrene in half and glued both sections to the ship using tamiya liquid plastic cement.

IMG_0178jpg2_zpsec6d73d4.jpg

Another detail that I noticed in reference photographs were some extra holes that were not pre-molded...Not a problem for a pin vise :D I used the same method I did with the anchor points on the flight deck.

HANGAR BAY

The next detail I began working on was the hangar. There are only a limited number of photos of the hangar (all of which were copyright :p) But basically think of the inside of the hangar walls as if you covered it in aluminum foil. That is practically what it looks like on the real ship. So I began taking the base of the hangar and scratch building wall sections using evergreen styrene, and then I used some aluminum foil with a tacky back to it. Before applying, I crumbled up the foil while it was still on it's backing to help simulate the foil to the scale of the model. I then proceeded to covering the rest of the hangar bay.

IMG_0179_zps0567662f.jpg

IMG_0180_zpsb078b0b9.jpg

IMG_0181_zps436ce55d.jpg

IMG_0183_zps02f2062e.jpg

IMG_0182_zps4795412c.jpg

The main result :)

More updates soon!!!

Matt :)

Latest posts

Back