Dragon 1/32 "early" P-51D Mustang

Elm City Hobbies said:
Hey there Charlie,

If you are in need of the SAC gear, I can get them for you, they run $24.25 for this kit.

Ill let you know. Im in no hurry for them. Gonna try and see if I can get a set through a trade first.

the detail in this kit is quality bud might get me one of these plane things for a future build but i dint think it will be up to your parr

Thanks guys.

I think I've stumbled upon a fix for my goofed up landing gear. Ill work on it tomorrow when I am more awake.

This is a great build man. Makin me go look at the spruces in my old 1/24 air fix...

Thanks Scott.

Well my fix didnt work. Im trying to find some replacement parts right now. If I cant find anything soon, Ill have to purchase the SAC white metal gear legs sometime early in the new year. Id like to complete this one before I start the big T Mustang.

I'd go for the G Factor landing gear set. Hardly any clean-up to them and they look better. SAC sets are just copies of the kit parts, molding seam included which is a pain to clean up in metal.

hey Casernault !! amazing stuff, that is a massive model :eek: :eek: i hope to see it finished soon, and hope you can get a fix on the landing gear setback.
have fun !!

Dusky said:
I'd go for the G Factor landing gear set. Hardly any clean-up to them and they look better. SAC sets are just copies of the kit parts, molding seam included which is a pain to clean up in metal.

I havent been able to locate a G-Factor set specifically for the Dragon Mustang, all I can find is a generic set. I like the SAC set because its basically a drop in fit. Im not looking for a improvement over the kit legs, I basically just need a replacement set for the kit parts that I fubared. Id even be happy with a replacemet set of kit parts at the moment.

Good news, Just heard from a fellow member over at the arcair.com forums who is sending me his landing gear parts. production should resume on this one shortly. ;D

Having wrapped up the Starfighter last night, Im now free to resume working on the Mustang. Tonight, I rebuilt the landing gear using the new parts. The Dragon gear is a little over engineered, but does look nice when done. Just at this stage, there are 8 oarts to each strut not including the replacement oleo scissor mounts I made. I did omit the springs from the struts as I found them a bit too gimmicky, I instead glued the struts at a fixed length. I also drilled out the tie-down loops at the botom of the struts, and I made new brake lines using copper wire. Hopefully tomorrow I can get these primed and ready to recieve some Alclad II duraluminium.

001-2_zps34f42845.jpg

Almost done... The landing gear isnt exactly a positive fit, there was a lot more play than I thought there would be. Gonna let it sit overnight to let the glue set. Hopefully she'll it properly on all 3 wheels without the gear collapsing. After that, just the antenna mast, landing light and rear mirror (which Ill rob from the Tamiya kit when I get to it) will need to be placed. All in all, I learned a few things wich will serve me well when I build the big T Mustang.

edit... I just realized I forgot the gun sight and the canpopy is glued in place. :mad:

010-1_zps629c62b2.jpg

Latest posts

Back