Double layer hairspray chipping?

Scrach

I have a Corsair in primer waiting for color. I was thinking about putting down an enamel metal color followed by hairspray, zinc oxide primer color (acrylic), hairspray then the final colors in acrylic, doing all of the chipping at the end.
My logic is that 1) it would happen in that order in reality and 2) it would save a little time.

Has anyone ever tried this or seen it done?

Only thing I would add is a varnish coat between the primer color and hairspray, that way when you add water to the top color to chip, the water won't seep past the hairspray into the lower layers, you would have the varnish to protect it.

I'd be afraid it would chip both layers at once without a varnish over it. I'd chip the first layer, then varnish, then chip the next layer.

I did something similar here: http://www.rebelscale.com/models/sci-fi/rezna-p234-hovertank/ I painted a dark grey - chipping fluid - blue/grey - chipped the paint -- varnish -- chipping fluid -- off-white -- chipping the paint again. You can kinda see the blue/grey in some of the close-up photos.

ECH, the base color will be an enamel silver(ish) color on top of Tamiya primer, so once, or if the water got past the first (bottom layer) of hairspray, chipping 'should' stop there.

Unreality, that would be my concern, that the water loosens things equally and I'd lose both layers of color at an equal rate. That or I'd have to do too much chipping to the top color in order to get through the middle color.

I think I'll be testing this out on the paint mule.

Thanks for the input!

Unfortunatley this wont be a quick endevor. Primer then metal base base, then hairspray, then the oxide color. You'll have to chip that back. Seal that in with clear coat. then you can use another layer of hairspray, then top coat, then chip that back.

Trying out my idea; F-15 Corsair anyone?

Primed with rattle can auto primer decanted to spray thru the airbrush, Model Master aluminum on top of that,

20150823_113441.jpg

Hairspray followed by Tamiya XF-4 as zinc oxide primer,

20150823_144428.jpg

More hairspray before Tamiya X-3, XF-18 and X-2

20150823_160105.jpg

Tried the chipping after about 30 min

20150823_162307.jpg

I'm sort of getting the effect I want, but the XF-4 is wanting to chip just as quick as the top colors.

Go at it again tomorrow after it has had a full day to dry.

Thinking you have to prime, aluminum, hairspray, yellow, then chip. Matt varnish, then hairspray, blues and then chip again, just make sure to chip over some of the same spots that you wanted the aluminum to come through, only way to get it to chip through so that some aluminum shows in spots, as well as some yellow, but not to chip through the yellow when you don't mean to.

There's no way to avoid clear coating between layers of paint. The hairspray is going to be activated by the water every time you attempt to chip.

Scrach, what you really want to do is Google John Tolcher. (He has one article in a past SMA Issue and another in the eventual issue 6)

He has done what you are wanting to do several times using only an initial barrier for the base coat and one coat of hairspray followed by multiple colors of Tamiya on top, chipping gently with windex diluted in water.

No secondary barrier coats.

No multi layers of hairspray.

The real key is in the thickness of the paint layers and the finesse of the technique coupled by a lot of preparation and practice.

This is but a small sample of his work;

5_942425405834423_947603009158828817_n_zpsazo73kvl.jpg

There is no hairspray between the light gray and the blue and they were chipped and faded simultaneously.

Thanks for the input gents.
Ken, I'll get to Googling and dig out my issues of SMA to find his work.
That is the kind of results I had in mind; trying to replicate the 'real' process of weathering...
Looks like the F-15 is going to get a few more test coats of paint.

Latest posts

Back