Dogfight Diorama...

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
i got a plan! i have Two 1:48th scale Ace Of Spades P-51D Mustangs, one is hanging on the sealing, one is on a pedistol. my plan is to put the one on a pedistol in a Diorama i can put in my dorm later... my plan, but i dont just want the Ace Of Spades P-51. i want to include one of the mustangs great opponents, the FW-190D-9.

but i have never.. built a diorama.. my plan is to have the two airplanes dogfighting over a field with a few trees here and there... over a road with a willies jeep!

what is required of this build

1 1/48th scale willies jeep

some trees... i want to know where i can get them or how i can make them

i need to know how to make some terrain, now the D-9 came out during around the winter, so its going to be around 1945 around late winter early spring, so the trees are going to be blooming and the grass is grown there might be a mud puddle or two here and there.

i will post in the thread as i go along, this will give you guys a step by step view of the build!

well... alot has gotten done on this, however since where i am at i only have dial up i will not be able to upload pictures yet but i think... i may be able to sneek some pictures in Thursday... maybe... but i know i will have pictures friday, i will post them, in the work in progress forum.

i have decided to use a "downed" B-25 Mitchel in the project, and it looks pretty cool, i used the dremel for damage effects, it looks like it has flak holes and machine gun holes and such, i made the engine cowling look like one of the engines actually caught fire by making the paint look charred. i made a tree it looks awesome, took some Electric fence wire, wrapped it around a peace of metal cloths hanger, covered it in Bondo sealer, sanded it smooth, then drilled in detail for the bark, painted in a black base cote, added the details. since its winter it will not have leaves, it will just have snow on it, if i can get spackle to stick to it i will do that, if not i will just paint over the tops of the twigs and such white to give it a snowed on look.

the setting will be winter since the germans introduced the Focke Wulf 190D-9 around that time period, so im going to you Spackle or what ever it is for snow i think its going to look great!.

however i am still having issues finding the willies jeep 1/48th scale... and still have not purchased and built the D-9, the P-51D Mustang is awaiting its introduction.

The jeep may be easier to find in 1:35 scale, or in 1:72 scale (maybe). Both are common armor and vehical scales. The planes are easy enough to find in 1:72, 1:48 or 1:32 - the 1:32 being close(ish) to the armor scale of 1:35.

In 1:48 this sounds like a huge project (both in size and coolness factor).

For a snow effect - check out the AT-AT walker video Scott had on the go (at least for stuff imbedded in the snow).
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/show/proof-of-concept-2-2

JMac.

JMac said:
The jeep may be easier to find in 1:35 scale, or in 1:72 scale (maybe). Both are common armor and vehical scales. The planes are easy enough to find in 1:72, 1:48 or 1:32 - the 1:32 being close(ish) to the armor scale of 1:35.

In 1:48 this sounds like a huge project (both in size and coolness factor).

For a snow effect - check out the AT-AT walker video Scott had on the go (at least for stuff imbedded in the snow).
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/show/proof-of-concept-2-2

JMac.

thanks bud, yea... i really like how scot used the Spackle and the Stiraphome to make the snow effect, in fact thats how im going to do mine! i have already purchased some white spackle for a good price at Lowes. my plan is to cover the trees with it too, scott really did amazing job with the snow on the AT-AT build i really hope i can compare!

also... i need a 1/48th scale willies jeep beacuse the P-51, FW-190D-9 and B-25 are all 1/48th scale, so i really want it to be 1/48th... its hard to find, so thats why i need your guys help, maybe i will order it from elm city hobbies!!! (hope i spelled that correctly.)

ALRIGHTY!! here we are, here is what i have gotten done so far! :D

Dioramastartingpoint.jpg
so, i decided to use a peace of wood, it was on hand and easy to get, and didnt cost me anything, so far i have spent little to no money on this build besides the Spackle which was not even thought of in this part!

B-25Added.jpg
i decided to use a "Downed B-25 Mitchel" its the variant with the 12 .50 caliber machine gun armament, i had got it from someone for free all pre built, and it was broke, so i decided to make it a crashed airplane. i removed one of the wings, put holes in it to make them look like machine gun and flak holes. then did weathering effects to make the engine look like it was on fire.

Treepaintedblack.jpg
trees where made by using metal close hanger peaces, and wrapping them with Electric fence wire, then once that was done i covered them in Bondo sealer, then sanded it smooth, worked in details with the Dremell, then painted it with its first coat of black. if you ever get a good look at a peace of wood, most of the time you will notice wood has verry little brown! so black will be the base coat!

Coatofgray.jpg
to give the tree more detail, i painted over the black with gray, this made it look even more like a tree!

Treefinishedwithoutspackle.jpg
the finished tree without spackle, i added a little bit of brown, and dry brushed some green on some of the parts to give it the mossy finished look it should have!

Diagramsofar.jpg
so here is what i have so far! my plan is to get rid of the saw dust, and replace it with spackle, i want another tree to be a evergreen but i have yet to figure out how to do that, if i cant figure that out what im going to do is make another tree that looked like it fell over or was cut down!

i still have had no luck finding a 1/48th scale Willies jeep! thats the only thing i really need to find.

JEEP ISSUE FIXED :D

i coud not find a willies jeep :'(

BUT I GOT A BETTER IDEA!!

scrap the jeep and move up the food chain, BIG TIME!!, i found a 1/48th scale M-26 Pershings for under $30 US the M-26 is my favorite tank of WWII! i will purchase it, build it, post the building process in the armor forum, and put it in the diorama!

the M-26 was a beast! the US answer to the Tiger tank, it had a 90mm cannon that was just as powerful as the German 88 on the Tiger I! but the M-26 had better frontal armor, its armor up front was just as thick, but had much better frontal slope! 2 M-26 SUPER PERSHINGS where built, with additional frontal armor plating with more improved slope, additional turret armor plating, and a Higher powered long barreled 90mm guns where employed. the M-26 was a effective performer, a better tank than the Tiger in my opinion, but the M-26 was too short too few to make a impact! but this erra im having this diorama, was around the time the M-26 was introduced, so it is just PERFECT!! for this build, i dont know why... i did not think of this long before!

ALRIGHT!!!

looks like i have ordered my 1/48th scale M-26 Pershing and its on its way, its a Tamiya, and im even thinking of making the Super Pershing, but i will probably stay with the standard Pershing. if building the Pershing is a success, i may.... give it some pray to play with!!!
M-26.jpg

ok back to business, here is what i have gotten done so far, i get cold just looking at this, the Spackle just like with Scots AT-AT build looks really good!
Upabovefreezing.jpg

Damagecontrol.jpg

Damagecontrol2.jpg

so the next thing i have planned, is to smooth out the spackle and sand it a little to make it smoother! after that im going to add some of that chunky snow flurry stuff that was used in scotts build! the snow is still in a rough stage, it looks good, but hopefully it will look better with a little sanding, and a little work.

Great idea for a dio, Ace!

Funny that you mention Tamiya's 1/48 line, don't they now have a Jeep in that series? ;D

the Baron said:
Great idea for a dio, Ace!

Funny that you mention Tamiya's 1/48 line, don't they now have a Jeep in that series? ;D

you know, i was so frustrated, beacuse just as i was looking at the Tamiya FW-190D-9 i found the flipping jeep, i was quite frustrated, but really, i want the M-26 more now, i mean, jeeps are cool, but a tank... man i just love the M-26, it just came out around that time this diorama is setting, around winter 1945, and its a tank man..... come on! so i was a little frustrated it was right there, but hay happy accident i found something better XD

;D alright... here we are so far!

Chunkysnow.jpg
Alright, so i sanded down the spackle and made the snow really smooth, then i made some of that chunky stuff Scott made in his AT-AT Diorama, this will give the Downed B-25 that charged through the snow look, i painted some "spackle gloss" which is a mix of future and Spackle, mixed to a more sludge like consistency, and brushed over the top, giving it a glossy appearance, then lightly sanded giving it a sparkling appearance.

Footprints.jpg
footprints where added by taking a figure, and stamping its foot into the Spackle, then carving out a little to make the footprints deeper.

Sofar.jpg
so far it looks pritty good, a few things here and there, next i have to add the M-26 Pershing Tank, which is under way, to see how its going, see the work in progress forum, in the Tank you very much forum. http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,1618.0.html

redraider56 said:
B-25 is my fav plane
its one of my favorite Mediom bombers too, i also like the B-26 Marauder, my favorite Aircraft is the P-51D Mustang, as many know.

bout time I replenish my B-25 stash. I built 2 of Revell's glass nose J but were both not up to my standards I have today and got the infamous firecracker treatment. I got a D in the stash but will be buying the glassnose J and gun nose J shortly.

BTW, your diorama is looking pretty sweet, I like the snow effects on the plane, very cool.

redraider56 said:
bout time I replenish my B-25 stash. I built 2 of Revell's glass nose J but were both not up to my standards I have today and got the infamous firecracker treatment. I got a D in the stash but will be buying the glassnose J and gun nose J shortly.

BTW, your diorama is looking pretty sweet, I like the snow effects on the plane, very cool.

thanks XD, its kind of at a beginning point, i still have to add the Ace Of Spades P-51D Mustang and the FW-190D-9 (i still have not came up with a name for it yet) and finish the M-26 Pershing, which is almost done!

NewAddition.jpg

so after i finished 3 figurines, 1 sub machine gunner, 1 rifleman, and added the M-26 to the diorama, there was only one thing left to do, and that was Finnish the FW-190D-9!

ITS DONE!! well it has been, i just got the pictures done, and just in time for christmas, Merry christmas everyone!

DioramaDone2.jpg

DioramaDone3.jpg

DioramaDone4.jpg

DiroamaDone5.jpg

DioramaDone5.jpg

Dioramadone6.jpg

DioramaDone4.jpg

DioramaDone7.jpg

DioramaDone9.jpg

DioramaDone10.jpg

DioramaDone11.jpg

DioramaDone12.jpg

DioramaDone13.jpg

DioramaDone14.jpg

DioramaDone15.jpg

DioramaDone16.jpg

Ah, very nice. Thats an very old Dora, because she have a beard :)))))
Tell me, were the Decals of the 190 with swastikas or without ?!

Latest posts

Back