Does anybody have a good diagram of a generic WWII Fighter?

I'm using the wrong names for stuff and I am not coming up with the right search term to come up with a diagram that shows me the difference between a Flap and an ailleron or what the name of the ubiquitous skinny little projection sticking out from the leading edge of the wing is. That I know is not a machine gun. What are the little wings on the tail called etc. I watch airplane videos and look at pictures but they assume I know that stuff and sometimes I think I do but I don't

the little protrusions on the leading edge of the wing - i think they are called pitot tube
the wings at the back I think are called Horizontal Stabilizers

z_CfqWmtoAx7bsNVX0f7PqO1cLSPchqdtJC_WIRCKJN_zQ4QZpJclSoVMAE-q_TVPATQjPzu9U4fJMn9qP-8qBPENuWFor7Ua9EHoBmRoR7YEYvA8Axn1k_A6eF26I8rm7f2bkRqRUo54vO3GaMzUSnZtpE4dw
airplane.jpg

The pitot tube is an air inlet, used to help measure airspeed. There are different styles, not all of them in the form of a long tube protruding from the leading edge of a wing. On the B-17, there were 2, if I remember correctly, and they were mounted on the underside of the fuselage, forward. They were enclosed in an aerodynamically-shaped housing, like small forward-pointing horns. On the B-24, eventually, they were mounted on the top of the fuselage, about 3 feet back of the nose turret. These were also mounted in an aerodynamically-shaped housing, but it was about 2 feet long. And those are just a couple of examples.

Urumomo, I noticed I had not pressed post after I wrote a reply to your diagram. Bitchin it is exactly what I what I needed.

Baron nowI know why some planes don't have pitot tubes on the wings. Thanks

Latest posts

Back