DIY spray booth

Pantherman

I may be loosing it but have decided to build my own spray booth. My intention is to build from scrap/discarded items for £0 cost, like i said, losing it!!!
I will post photos as I go but would welcome any suggestions or ideas. Thing's you wish you had with your set up.
Irishvic

Big enough... I find the commercial one I have is too small.

Even tho mine has lights I find myself wanting more lights. So lots of lights.

Flexible exhaust. As low noice as possible... That probably isn't possible, but one can wish.

Dedicated area for mixing paint and cleaning the airbrush... But if it's big enough that kinda helps.

My 2 cents

Big enough... I find the commercial one I have is too small.

Even tho mine has lights I find myself wanting more lights. So lots of lights.

Flexible exhaust. As low noice as possible... That probably isn't possible, but one can wish.

Dedicated area for mixing paint and cleaning the airbrush... But if it's big enough that kinda helps.

My 2 cents
My plan is an old turntable for the base, fitted in a storage box with an old data cabinet fan for extraction with a flexible hose. Lighting is a salvaged mini led strip from under a kitchen unit. In my mind it all works perfectly but the reality may be very different .
Irishvic

The fan exhaust. Be careful not to put in a strong fan just a gentle touch. Otherwise you will attract all the dust & bits in the air thro the unit. & they stick well to paint.

Also as big a blades as possible on the fan helps to dissipate the air going through the unit.

Worth building it around the filter by Sparmax
https://www.everythingairbrush.com/product/single-large-pre-filter-for-sparmax-spray-booth-filter-1/

Has a concertinaed filter which catches twice the amount that a flat one would.

The fan exhaust. Be careful not to put in a strong fan just a gentle touch. Otherwise you will attract all the dust & bits in the air thro the unit. & they stick well to paint.

Also as big a blades as possible on the fan helps to dissipate the air going through the unit.

Worth building it around the filter by Sparmax
https://www.everythingairbrush.com/product/single-large-pre-filter-for-sparmax-spray-booth-filter-1/

Has a concertinaed filter which catches twice the amount that a flat one would.
Thanks for the advice, I will have a look at the sparmax filter. My plan/hope is to reuse old stuff but I don't want to build it and wish I had used better products.
Irishvic

I threw one together, I just got a 120V in duct fan (I believe it was market for in home growing) but I mounted the fan near the ducts egress point and it works quiet well.
Sounds like you are trying to use all on hand things though.
I went big with spare plywood, and now I never move the spray booth because it's unwieldy. I have seen people put large storage totes on their side, and punch a hole in them for an exhaust, run a 3050 LED strip around it and call it done.

If you have the know how, sure enough.
A good friend of mine used two cooling fans for a computer to exhaust his booth. I thought it was pretty novel.
I have an exhaust fan from a Jenn-aire stove top. It is a regular squirrel cage blower, but haven’t gotten around to putting it all together yet.
The things I’ve finished in my mind.
Looking forward to seeing more of this Vic.

If you have the know how, sure enough.
A good friend of mine used two cooling fans for a computer to exhaust his booth. I thought it was pretty novel.
I have an exhaust fan from a Jenn-aire stove top. It is a regular squirrel cage blower, but haven’t gotten around to putting it all together yet.
The things I’ve finished in my mind.
Looking forward to seeing more of this Vic.
Thanks. I have always had the ability to see finished things in my head from plans or drawings, even conversations so I am hoping to combine that with my carpenter/builder skills to produce something that works.....hopefully.
Irishvic

The turntable looks great... I never use mine, lol.

Anyway a duct fan is great for excaust if you place it away from where you're working. Especially the 12 volts versions with variable speed.

It's really great that you're going for the no/low cost, I'm sure it's possible to build a great diy paintbooth that way.

Regarding your lighting choice, maybe it's me, but I find that having lights from different directions helps... I haven't seen your lighting, so I'll just shut up till you get to the part. Plus I'm old and my eys are deffenatley not what they used to be.

The turntable looks great... I never use mine, lol.

Anyway a duct fan is great for excaust if you place it away from where you're working. Especially the 12 volts versions with variable speed.

It's really great that you're going for the no/low cost, I'm sure it's possible to build a great diy paintbooth that way.

Regarding your lighting choice, maybe it's me, but I find that having lights from different directions helps... I haven't seen your lighting, so I'll just shut up till you get to the part. Plus I'm old and my eys are deffenatley not what they used to be.
I intend to get a clear storage box from a friend who is having a clean out, put this on it's side,turntable in the bottom and stick the recycled leds all round the top so light 4 ways. My eyes are also not that great. Usb fan on the side wall at the top to gently pull the vapour out. Will keep you all posted.
Irishvic

I intend to get a clear storage box from a friend who is having a clean out, put this on it's side,turntable in the bottom and stick the recycled leds all round the top so light 4 ways. My eyes are also not that great. Usb fan on the side wall at the top to gently pull the vapour out. Will keep you all posted.
Irishvic
Sounds great man... Great concept with box, even better if it's semi clear... Lot of free light that way. Only concern might be the potential backwash of air and paint from the back wall, if you place the fan on the side... But a filter mat or something might help if that is the case. Again it might not be a problem if it's a big box.

Now get to it, we're excited to see your concept in action.

Sounds great man... Great concept with box, even better if it's semi clear... Lot of free light that way. Only concern might be the potential backwash of air and paint from the back wall, if you place the fan on the side... But a filter mat or something might help if that is the case. Again it might not be a problem if it's a big box.

Now get to it, we're excited to see your concept in action.
We have just fitted out a new kitchen and they didn't want the extractor fitters so I could use them at the back. Think that might sort the backwash and it's free.
Irishvic

Brilliant.
If I'm ever replacing a full hood for wants and not because the old one is actually a microwave that just vents range smoke/grease directly into your face (I'll never understand why this is the American kitchen standard) I'll have to upcycle it too! lol.

Well I'm almost done, just some tidying up and a better exhaust but really pleased with it. Cost so far is £12 as had to buy a USB multi socket to run the lights and fan. Let me know what you think and any suggestions for improvements or extras would be welcome.
Irishvic

Attachments

• 20220524_211936.jpg
    20220524_211936.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220524_211930.jpg
    20220524_211930.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220524_211921.jpg
    20220524_211921.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220524_211908.jpg
    20220524_211908.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220523_192201.jpg
    20220523_192201.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 7
Brilliant.
If I'm ever replacing a full hood for wants and not because the old one is actually a microwave that just vents range smoke/grease directly into your face (I'll never understand why this is the American kitchen standard) I'll have to upcycle it too! lol.
Yeah, it didn't use to be; when I was a kid (b. 1964) the houses we lived in had kitchen vents that actually vented air to the outside. They led to a covered vent on the outer wall of the house. By the time I had my own place, in the 90s, all I saw were range hoods that just sucked the air up from the stove and vented it over your head, back into the kitchen.

The only tip I can offer is to make sure that no electrical connections are exposed, eg, in your fan's wiring. I've read that it's possible that fumes can ignite, if that's the case.

I have insulated everything but thanks for the heads up. I will check to be certain.
Irishvic

Latest posts

Back