DIY spray booth

Food for thought... On building mine [way back], I placed the fan directly on the rear [centered on the box/bin] and towards the bottom of the box - Thereby making the 'draw' at the bottom and off the piece I was shooting [no overspray or 'kick-back' or 'roll-over' from within the box]. Filter material were simple furnace/HVAC filters, from your hardware store; doubled or sandwiched, and depending how much spraying done these would last for sometime. The filters were secured with simple wire coat hangers cut and bent to fit and with some tension applied, to hold them in place inside the box/bin [easy-peasy to replace and pull filters]. The fan box, its mounting hardware and materials [made from scrap frame material], were all sealed with HVAC/ducting metal tape, from the hardware store...Making for a near 'air-tight' seal with everything. And as to using a bathroom exhaust fan [mine being an 'open frame' 110/120 v AC motor], I never experienced a 'flashback' or 'flash-over' during some 25-30 yrs of usage; even shooting MEK - Acetone - Toluene mixes [HOWEVER - A dry chem fire extinguisher was always near during painting operations, just in case].
I hope this may help in your build/design.

Food for thought... On building mine [way back], I placed the fan directly on the rear [centered on the box/bin] and towards the bottom of the box - Thereby making the 'draw' at the bottom and off the piece I was shooting [no overspray or 'kick-back' or 'roll-over' from within the box]. Filter material were simple furnace/HVAC filters, from your hardware store; doubled or sandwiched, and depending how much spraying done these would last for sometime. The filters were secured with simple wire coat hangers cut and bent to fit and with some tension applied, to hold them in place inside the box/bin [easy-peasy to replace and pull filters]. The fan box, its mounting hardware and materials [made from scrap frame material], were all sealed with HVAC/ducting metal tape, from the hardware store...Making for a near 'air-tight' seal with everything. And as to using a bathroom exhaust fan [mine being an 'open frame' 110/120 v AC motor], I never experienced a 'flashback' or 'flash-over' during some 25-30 yrs of usage; even shooting MEK - Acetone - Toluene mixes [HOWEVER - A dry chem fire extinguisher was always near during painting operations, just in case].
I hope this may help in your build/design.
Thanks for the advice. I am going to fit a removable filter to the back of the booth to catch overspray hopefully. I have black ducting tape to seal the fan and exhaust. Designed it to have a short exhaust with ppe3 filter for acrylics which can be removed by loosening a jubilee clip so i can fit a longer hose that can go out of the window for anything more potent. Good idea about the extinguisher, i have a small desk extinguisher i can keep handy just in case.
Irishvic

Thanks for the advice. I am going to fit a removable filter to the back of the booth to catch overspray hopefully. I have black ducting tape to seal the fan and exhaust. Designed it to have a short exhaust with ppe3 filter for acrylics which can be removed by loosening a jubilee clip so i can fit a longer hose that can go out of the window for anything more potent. Good idea about the extinguisher, i have a small desk extinguisher i can keep handy just in case.
Irishvic
I have fitted the rear filter as suggested, used super strong mini magnets a friend gave me. No extra cost so still at £12. Very pleased with it and thanks to everyone who has been so helpful with suggestions. This forum is brilliant for a novice modeler, really encouraging and patient with us nubes keep asking the same question.
Irishvic

Attachments

• 20220526_191434.jpg
    20220526_191434.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 9
Like it, just the job. A cheap turntable is an old microwave glass plate and the roller beneath it.
Pantherman
Yes my friend the turntable is in the offing.
Just have to find it, in this pile I call ‘mine’.
I was really looking to see if I could see the same concept in my head as you spoke of before. Maybe $75ish invested. I didn’t realize filters were that expensive, eh?

Yes my friend the turntable is in the offing.
Just have to find it, in this pile I call ‘mine’.
I was really looking to see if I could see the same concept in my head as you spoke of before. Maybe $75ish invested. I didn’t realize filters were that expensive, eh?
Kitchen extractor filters work OK for the price but need changing fairly often, depends on airbrush use. My little magnets make it fairly quick and easy job.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20220526_191434.jpg
    20220526_191434.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 2
Kitchen extractor filters work OK for the price but need changing fairly often, depends on airbrush use. My little magnets make it fairly quick and easy job.
Pantherman
I have a separate filter on the extractor. It's a covid face mask held in place with a rubber band. Again, cheap and very quick to change.

Attachments

• 20220526_191454.jpg
    20220526_191454.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back