DIY decal softener

So I was in my LHS looking for some decal softener. Couldn't find any. Guy behind the counter suggests using Windex underneath, then squeegee-ing it out. I thought that perhaps he had mistaken me for an R/C guy looking to apply some vinyl decals to a Lexan R/C car body, or maybe I was applying some DIY tinting/decals to auto glass. So I told him it was for waterslide decals for plastic model kits. He insisted that I could use it on that application. Nowhere on this site have I heard of anyone using Windex to soften/settle waterslide decals, nor attempting to squeegee them. Am I wrong?

Thoughts?

Never heard of it myself ! Micro Sol is all I use ;) its made FOR decals ,I think you may be risking the decal using other things ,tho you could try it with some scrap decs ..see what happens .

Chris.

Go to the supermarket and get the smallest, cheapest bottle of white vinegar they have. It should be less than $1.00 and will last you the rest of your model building life.

Ziz said:
Go to the supermarket and get the smallest, cheapest bottle of white vinegar they have. It should be less than $1.00 and will last you the rest of your model building life.

I've heard that one, too, from Hans von Hammer over at FineScale. I have not tried it myself, but I like the idea of using a simple off-the-shelf product that does the same job as a more expensive product. Just like using Future as a gloss acrylic varnish/seal, cheap arts-and-crafts acrylic paints instead of Vallejo or Andrea, or using generic art store pastel chalks instead of Mig and similar products. Very much in the tradition of the classic scratchbuilder from when I was a kid.

I've been using vinegar as decal set for years and haven't had a problem.

I was wondering about the vinegar, the MicroSol smells like vinegar to me.

Try it with some spare decals on a test part as some brands of vinegar are stronger than others. If you find it dissolves the decal too much, make a mixture of vinegar and water. And make sure it's WHITE vinegar - don't get the flavored ones.

Ziz said:
Try it with some spare decals on a test part as some brands of vinegar are stronger than others. If you find it dissolves the decal too much, make a mixture of vinegar and water. And make sure it's WHITE vinegar - don't get the flavored ones.

Good point, Ziz, we should have been clear, you want white vinegar. There are national brands, like Heinz, for example, or you can get your store's own brand or a generic. Good point, too, about the strength, check the label to see whether what you're buying is a diluted solution and to what percent.

Latest posts

Back