Diorama Base

danimal518

Hello friends,

I'd like to build my first diorama. I'm working on an Emhar 1/72 Emhar Mark IV tank and I'd like to put it in a diorama/vignette. My question is regarding the base. I bought a small (and cheap) picture frame to use as the border of the base. I've heard of people using modeling clay and foam as the actual groundwork. What works best? I don't plan on making a trench or anything, I just want to put the tank on some dirt and maybe put some debris around it. What would you recommend I use? Thanks for your help. I'll post pictures once I get it up.

You can use foam, clay or get some celluclay, which is like a pre done paper mache. All you have to do is add water. I use the cellu-clay and mix the stuff with water and add a big bit of white glue. Then when mixed I'll also take some glue and squirt it on my base (make sure the base is painted or stained first).

For interest, it's best to put the tank at an angle on a road or thru a field on the base. Make sure to add track marks behind the tank so it looks like it wasn't just plopped down. Just push the tank into the celluclay before it dries.

Depending on the scale - (if it's small) you can either paint the ground work in shades of brown, or (if larger) I paint the groundwork dark brown and then when dry, I paint more white glue on the base and sprinkle regular dirt over the base. Make sure that any sticks or stones matches the scale of the scene.

If you have sticks in the scene, remember they are supposed to be dead and broken trees. Tree trunks aren't brown, they are gray (ok except for certain species). Paint the "trunk" dark gray and when dry, dry brush with a lighter gray.

Finally you'll have to get some ground foam or static grass. Sprinkle it *sparing* around the scene and you're done. I say sparingly b/c if your vehicle isn't rolling over a golf course the grass will be just here and there.
Then you're done. ;)

HTH

Latest posts

Back