Dio: A Meeting of Scouts

Hi all,

Here's the start of my 1st entry to this years BSC - Repaired and Restored, huh?

So for this I plan to do a diorama with two scout vehicles meeting (maybe at a cross-roads) and one has to undergo repairs.
That's the basic idea.

I've been playing around with this idea for a while and remembered this WWII image of a Panzer IV with a thrown track.
11391547_867922399960997_6286799553782544854_n.jpg

Like with the EPIALES I will use the suspension, road wheels and tracks of a T-54 (thanks to "baynerd" for donating the kit).
790622_sm-Project%20start.jpg

Pretty much the only pieces I will use from the kit.
790623_sm-Pieces.jpg

I have always fancied the French AMX-13. Such a cool vehicle - kinda cute :)
So I based my plans loosely on it, but adjusted it to my PONOS/EPIALES family.
790624_sm-Plan.jpg

It is lower and shorter than its sibling.
790625_sm-First%20side.jpg

The hull itself has pretty much the same width - and needed just as much Putty as the EPIALES :)
790626_sm-base%20hull.jpg

Here I already drilled the holes for the suspension and the mount for the drive wheel.
790627_sm-Hull%20side.jpg

Lots of sanding later.
790628_sm-After%20first%20sanding.jpg

The suspension mounted.
790629_sm-Axles.jpg

And the wheels dry fitted.
790630_sm-Roadwheels.jpg

Family snapshot!
790631_sm-Siblings.jpg

The name of the vehicle will be PHRIKE, which is the ancient Greek Spirit of Horror and Trembling Fear.
Other than the PONOS, POLEMOS and EPIALES the PHRIKE has no troop compartment and the engine is front mounted. So the hull layout is rather different, but I tried to reuse many design elements like the stubby nose, drivers position, the "fenders" and the shape of the rear.
790632_sm-Hull%20top.jpg

One problem with the front mounted engine is the access hatches and the cross-bar the the vehicle family has.
790633_sm-test%201.jpg

I tried to picture it open, during the scene, but didn't really fancy it.
790634_sm-test%202.jpg

I will model it closed.
But first it was putty time again.
790635_sm-without.jpg

After another sanding session I built a exhaust grill at the rear - yes, engine in front, but for better signature suppression all exhausts are routed (and maybe cooled) to the rear for one central exhaust...
790636_sm-rear%20grill.jpg

And with the wheels mounted, the hull is basically done (sans all the details and rivets - lol)
790637_sm-hull%20and%20wheels.jpg

Next I started the turret - which will be AMX-13 inspired (hopefully).
Lots of round stuff - not the easiest to scratch build.
790638_sm-turret%20start.jpg

After the round base I mounted the straight sides.
790639_sm-turret%20step.jpg

Then the angled front plate.
790640_sm-turret%20front%20.jpg

And finally the round front armor.
790641_sm-turret%20closed.jpg

Even with all the putty it looks nice.
790642_sm-Green%20Putty.jpg

While the putty cured I built the auto-cannon.
790645_sm-Auto-Cannon.jpg

And mounted it in the turret.
As you can see I will also use the hatches of the T-54 (like I did with the EPIALES).
790646_sm-Hatches.jpg

Another nice piece is the searchlight - mounted :)
790647_sm-Searchlight.jpg

And finally I started to mount some sights - and on the rear left corner of the turret a sights mount that can by hydraulically raised (i.e. above a cover).
790648_sm-first%20sights.jpg

That's as far as I got.
I think I'm pretty good in plan and the PHRIKE is progressing nicely.
BTW, the other vehicle will be based on the British FOX Armoured Car.

So, what do you think?
Do you like today's update?
I look forward to your comments, suggestions and feedback.
Cheers
klaus

BLUSH!

Thank you guys!
@LrdSatyr8 - thank you :)
I was working closely with tanks for 10 years in a US Army Local Trainign Area, and I was always very interested in tanks. A typical Track-Nut :)

Just a very short update today - 4 more shots of the current status:
790830_sm-Status%201.jpg
790831_sm-Status%202.jpg
790832_sm-Status%203.jpg
790833_sm-Status%204.jpg

Cheers Guys!

Wow did you just scratch build a tank in 8days!!!! I would not be this far in a build if it was a kit!! Amazing

Thanks guys!

@Neo - well it is based on an existing scratch build, or a vehicle family, that made things easier :)
@Quaralane - well, a tiny bit more - but not much ;)

Well, I hope you all had a good week and hopefully some pleasant spring weather.

Since the last update I added some more details, like the remaining sights and vision blocks.
791954_sm-Sights.jpg

But also the latches for the storage boxes.
791955_sm-hinges.jpg

and external luggage.
791956_sm-luggage.jpg

Then the kind of iconic headlights.
791957_sm-lights.jpg

Small details like these handles for the hatches to the engine.
791958_sm-handles.jpg

And for the ammo hatch.
791959_sm-Ammo%20Hatch.jpg

With this the PHRIKE is pretty much complete and ready for the rivets.
791960_sm-ready%20for%20rivets.jpg

I'm always amazed how much the simple application of some rivets change the appearance of the vehicle.
791961_sm-hull%20rivets.jpg

I'm quite pleased :)
791962_sm-ready%20for%20the%20tracks.jpg

Next up will be the tracks - and I decided to make that a separate post, as it is also a product review.
Cheers
Klaus

So, after the rather traumatic experience with the rubber tracks for the EPIALES vehicle, I decided to try the Trumpeter plastic track links instead.
For this PHRIKE vehicle I used the suspension, road wheels, return roller and drive sprocket of the Trumpeter T-54B kit that "Baynerd" sent me as a gift :)
The kit contains rubber tracks, which are usually very twisted and bent, and somehow I never gotten around to find the proper means to glue it in place.
791985_sm-Rubber%20Tracks.jpg

I was amazed to find the kit on Amazon for a reasonable price - 10.79€ - and Prime shipping.
791986_sm-the%20Kit.jpg

The kit seems rather straight forward consisting of 248 separate pieces.
Since I only use 4 road wheels and the vehicle is considerable shorter, I won't need all of them.
First task is to clean up the pieces.
791987_sm-the%20sprue.jpg

A nice little pile - very little flash, just getting it out of the sprue and removing the little positioning pieces.
791988_sm-cleaned%20links.jpg

The instructions are also quite simple.
I mounted them first in pairs and then sections of fours.
5 sections of 4 were needed for the base area.
The mounting of the sections is easy, they work well with the glue and fit nicely to the kit.
But then I got to the drive sprocket and got a nasty surprise!

The links did not quite fit the sprocket's teeth.

791989_sm-bad%20fit.jpg

Despite both being Trumpeter and the links being explicitly for the T-54.
I didn't expect that.
So I quickly shaved off the inner teeth.
791990_sm-shaved%20teeth.jpg

This then worked to get the links mounted around the drive sprocket.
I was lucky that the tracks counted out perfectly and they met without stretching :)
791991_sm-nice%21.jpg
Just the way I wanted them!

For the other side of the PHRIKE I need to display a thrown track in the process of being re-mounted.
With the exact link count from the other side, I first mounted the ground section and then the thrown pieces.
Again, the pieces work together quite nicely and are very easy to position the way needed.
791992_sm-thrown%20track.jpg

So, despite the surprise with the drive sprocket, the track links work like a charm.
791994_sm-works%20great.jpg

Especially if you want to picture the tracks in an unusual position the plastic track links are a lot better than the original rubber ones and in my opinion worth the price.
A clear recommendation form my side!
Cheers
Klaus

Ah , Klaus and his Soviet armors ... ;D

Welcome to the world of tanks .

Those are 580 mm track for - yes - more narrow running gear . ( '46 vs '52 )
Nice save though .

Hi all,
thank you for the feedback :)

@urumomo - so did I purchase the wrong tracks then?

One thing left for the PHRIKE were antennae. So I heated some plastic from a leftover sprue and slowly pulled it apart, creating nice thin antennae.
Since it is a scout tank, I opted for 3 antennae.
792502_sm-PHRIKE%20completed.jpg

This completed the actual build for the PHRIKE.

As I had mentioned in the first post, the diorama idea is the meeting of scouts, with the PHRIKE having thrown a track, and a KAIROS armored reconnaissance vehicle being also on the scene.
The KAIROS will be loosely based on the UK Fox Armored Reconnaissance Vehicles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_armoured_reconnaissance_vehicle

Somehow I had the idea to build it with a almost functioning suspension (don't ask me what brain-fart had ridden me)
I had some wheels from a Tamiya US M3 Scout Car that I wanted to used. Together with some springs retrieved from a ballpoint pen I started out.
Pretty simple.
792503_sm-Suspensio.jpg

Since I wanted to picture the KAIROS with turned front wheels I thought I needed to also build functioning steering.
792504_sm-Steering.jpg

Basic function accomplished, I started to built the sides based on my plans.
792505_sm-hull.jpg

But during the building of the hull I kept on breaking the steering. So I cannibalized an old Tamiya SdKfz 251/1.
792506_sm-steeling%20a%20steering.jpg

This seemed to be a bit more stable and so I continued with the hull. During sanding I broke the axles again (sigh)
792507_sm-broke%20it%20again.jpg

With the basic hull completed, I realized I had build the whole vehicle rather wrong, and I was about to throw it away and start anew.
But I bit my teeth together, glued the front wheels in position and rebuilt most of the upper superstructure.
792508_sm-new%20superstructure.jpg

I think it now comes rather close to the Fox, isn't it?
792509_sm-Like%20the%20Fox.jpg

And once it has the headlights, it will fit into the PONOS family nicely. For the turret I'm also orienting towards the original Fox turret, but with twin Lasers.
The first version however was too high. Looked very unbalanced.
792510_sm-Too%20high.jpg

So the second version is 1cm high instead of the initial 1.5cm - and with lots of putty.
792511_sm-new%20turret.jpg

Now, what do you think?
Is the KAIROS OK?
Thanks
Klaus

That's some serious scratchbuilding going on, very inspiring. Great idea for making the antennae, but wont they be extremely fragile? I always used guitar string for my 40k space marine tank antennae.

;D Great building indeed !
( yes , Klaus , those are the wrong track as you found out -- but it don't matter 8) )

That new turret is definitely looks better proportioned .

. .... . Are you also going for the " First Done " trophy ? ;D Hee Hee

Latest posts

Back