Desert Matilda

Phil57

Here is my latest project, a 1/35 scale Tamiya Matilda done in desert colors. As with every Tamiya kit I have done to date, this model went together really well and I had no problems whatsoever. The kit is done out of the box and the only thing I added was my tiny little red pennant on the antenna. I have seen monochrome pics of British tanks in the desert flying all manner of pennants so I thought I would add one. No idea if the color is correct or not and whats more I don't really care.
Most of the Matilda models I looked at on the internet featured the classic 3 color straight edge camouflage design, but I decided to just keep it simple. With a bit more experience I might try that. All up I am well pleased with the end results although my figure painting has not improved but for this type of set up and what I am aiming to achieve, it is good enough for me.
Now all I have to do is manufacture a small desert base to house the Matilda and I am done. Thanks for looking.

Phil

Attachments

• _DSC3361-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3361-Edit.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC3362-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3362-Edit.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC3363-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3363-Edit.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 19
  • _DSC3360-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3360-Edit.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 19
  • _DSC3364-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3364-Edit.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 20
Here is my latest project, a 1/35 scale Tamiya Matilda done in desert colors. As with every Tamiya kit I have done to date, this model went together really well and I had no problems whatsoever. The kit is done out of the box and the only thing I added was my tiny little red pennant on the antenna. I have seen monochrome pics of British tanks in the desert flying all manner of pennants so I thought I would add one. No idea if the color is correct or not and whats more I don't really care.
Most of the Matilda models I looked at on the internet featured the classic 3 color straight edge camouflage design, but I decided to just keep it simple. With a bit more experience I might try that. All up I am well pleased with the end results although my figure painting has not improved but for this type of set up and what I am aiming to achieve, it is good enough for me.
Now all I have to do is manufacture a small desert base to house the Matilda and I am done. Thanks for looking.

Phil
Very nice indeed :)
Love the "Sandblasted" effect.... very suitable for harsh desert conditions.
Excellent job all round Phil ;)

Phil
Looking really good, your figures look pretty good to me so don't see any problem with them. Will be nice to see the diorama and the finished build. Excellent work.
Pantherman

This kit goes together beautifully, a real mojo restorer. I love the simple scheme you chose, nice work!
Thank you very much. I did ponder doing the Caunter scheme so often seen on this vehicle, but in the end I thought why make it harder on yourself.

Phil

Looking really good, your figures look pretty good to me so don't see any problem with them. Will be nice to see the diorama and the finished build. Excellent work.
Pantherman
To be honest Pantherman, I can't do any better with figure painting. I wear glasses and paint the faces under a magnifying glass as it is. I did try oils on one of the figures but wiped it off and completed it with acrylics. Problem was I chose a cheap set of oil paints and they were useless. More oil than paint so the lesson is and I will still give it a try, is to purchase quality oils which are not cheap although I have noticed Abteilung 502 sell a set for figures at a reasonable price. Might look into that.
Thanks for your kind words and now to get into that base.

Phil

To be honest Pantherman, I can't do any better with figure painting. I wear glasses and paint the faces under a magnifying glass as it is. I did try oils on one of the figures but wiped it off and completed it with acrylics. Problem was I chose a cheap set of oil paints and they were useless. More oil than paint so the lesson is and I will still give it a try, is to purchase quality oils which are not cheap although I have noticed Abteilung 502 sell a set for figures at a reasonable price. Might look into that.
Thanks for your kind words and now to get into that base.

Phil
I always put the oils on kitchen paper to draw the oils out. Have only used Rembrant paints. Fairly expensive but you use so little it lasts for ages. I'm the same with figures, glasses and lit magnifier lens, add to that my shakey hands it's a wonder I manage to get any paint on my figures !!
Pantherman

I always put the oils on kitchen paper to draw the oils out. Have only used Rembrant paints. Fairly expensive but you use so little it lasts for ages. I'm the same with figures, glasses and lit magnifier lens, add to that my shakey hands it's a wonder I manage to get any paint on my figures !!
Pantherman
Oh thank you for that. I honestly thought I was the only idiot out there doing this. My wife just shakes her head whenever she see's me crouched over my desk trying to paint a face. It is amazing how the thinnest of brushes look so big under a magnifying glass.
I did try that with the oils on the paper but mate, I went though a lot of oil to find a little paint. I gave up basically. I was looking at Windsor & Newton oil paints. Yes they would probably last me forever, but gee it is an expensive outlay just for paint. I will think on that. Just for your info Pantherman, I have just ordered my next little project. A Meng British Whippet from WW1 which I intend doing as a German Beutepanzer. I just love the way they painted those outrageous camo schemes. I also ordered some WW1 German markings for it. Looking forward to doing this one

Oh thank you for that. I honestly thought I was the only idiot out there doing this. My wife just shakes her head whenever she see's me crouched over my desk trying to paint a face. It is amazing how the thinnest of brushes look so big under a magnifying glass.
I did try that with the oils on the paper but mate, I went though a lot of oil to find a little paint. I gave up basically. I was looking at Windsor & Newton oil paints. Yes they would probably last me forever, but gee it is an expensive outlay just for paint. I will think on that. Just for your info Pantherman, I have just ordered my next little project. A Meng British Whippet from WW1 which I intend doing as a German Beutepanzer. I just love the way they painted those outrageous camo schemes. I also ordered some WW1 German markings for it. Looking forward to doing this one
Can't wait to see the build, lot's of progress photos required. I did buy winsor and newton black and burnt umber which cost £10 each but figured it would last me until I can't pick up a brush, the quality is superb so think it was worth it. I bought the rembrant white and it's OK but not as good, it was £7. If I ever run out I would buy white in the W&N.
Others may say otherwise but that's what works for me.
Pantherman

Can't wait to see the build, lot's of progress photos required. I did buy winsor and newton black and burnt umber which cost £10 each but figured it would last me until I can't pick up a brush, the quality is superb so think it was worth it. I bought the rembrant white and it's OK but not as good, it was £7. If I ever run out I would buy white in the W&N.
Others may say otherwise but that's what works for me.
Pantherman
Will do mate. I don't normally do progress pics as I use my Nikon on a tripod and edit the pics on photoshop to delete the background. It is a bit involved but I suppose a couple on the old phone might be okay.

Phil
Your build is fantastic. I see so much detail everywhere!
Your figures are really awesome!

Your build is fantastic. I see so much detail everywhere!
Your figures are really awesome!
Thank you my friend. I enjoyed making this kit and recommend it to anyone interested. My favorite part of making models is weathering them and I am a firm believer in you can't over do it. A tank in the field that has seen action is a dirty beast and I try to replicate that. I often take inspiration from movies and closely study the weathering from such films as Fury and believe it or not, Oddballs Shermans in the movie Kelly's Heroes. A model tank without grime, dirt, mud and paint chips just looks like a childs toy to me. I really should have dusted this one up really big time with pastels, but that would have dulled the drama of the black pin wash a lot and I am thinking paint chips and wear should perhaps be done in red primer, but just like your recent tiger, I think the dark grey showing up so prominent against an overall yellow color just adds to the overall contrast. Primer red may be more accurate, but not so much in your face.
As for the figures, I am really going all out with shading in the creases and lightening the base color. A black pin wash also helps also.
Thanks again for your kind words.

Phil

Last edited:
Thank you my friend. I enjoyed making this kit and recommend it to anyone interested. My favorite part of making models is weathering them and I am a firm believer in you can't over do it. A tank in the field that has seen action is a dirty beast and I try to replicate that. I often take inspiration from movies and closely study the weathering from such films as Fury and believe it or not, Oddballs Shermans in the movie Kelly's Heroes. A model tank without grim, dirt, mud and paint chips just looks like a childs toy to me. I really should have dusted this one up really big time with pastels, but that would have dulled the drama of the black pin wash a lot and I am thinking paint chips and wear should perhaps be done in red primer, but just like your recent tiger, I think the dark grey showing up so prominent against an overall yellow color just adds to the overall contrast. Primer red may be more accurate, but not so much in your face.
As for the figures, I am really going all out with shading in the creases and lightening the base color. A black pin wash also helps also.
Thanks again for your kind words.

Phil
I agree, weathing is essential and a fun part of any kit. The smallest of detail never goes unnoticed.
I ordered washes and have one called flesh wash which I used. It seemed to work OK. But I really like how you did your figures, they pop!

Latest posts

Back