Definition of Terrain

hooterville75

Can someone please define the word Terrain for me ? Its not a smart a$$ed question its a honest question to where Im looking for a definition too for possibly branching my genres of scale modeling into. I want to get a exact definition of Terrain so I can start doing some research to see if Terrain is something I may be interested in branching into. Thanks in advance for your definitions.

it mean a landscape or picture this a Hill with some plants and trees or a Sand dune with some rocks it depends on the concept or the theme of the build

look around you each day things change that's the terrain changing.

Take this as an example the Somme
Delville_Wood_thenandnow.jpg

Dictionary definition:

Noun
A stretch of land, esp. with regard to its physical features: "rough terrain".

Synonyms
ground - land - soil - country - territory - field

That is a beautifully haunting photo montage Spud. I'd love to have a print of that.

To me, terrain is really anything that becomes part of the environment or setting. It doesn't have to be just natural dirt and rocks. For sci-fi, it could be a spaceship interior. Or maybe you have some spent shells around a battlefield that have become "part" or the terrain. Terrain can be an accessory to a model, meant to amplify the scale or the scene you are creating. Or it could be the central part (a sunken rusted hull of a tank turret immersed in a pond for example).

The good thing about terrain is that the only real limit is your imagination. Nobody counts rivets on rocks. ;D

Latest posts

Back