Decal issue!

liquorboxracing

OK I need some advice. I have been getting some inconsistent results with my decals lately. Some will lay down fine and others will silver badly! I am using Micro Scales, Micro Set to wet the suface before applying the decals. I soak the decals in warm water for about 7-10 seconds to losen them. After positioning them, I dab them dry with a cotton swab. Then after they dry for a bit I saturate them with Micro Scales, Micro Sol. Some turn out spectacular, others will silver. Is it the water I am using to losen them, maybe the Micro Set? I don't understand why this keeps accuring on a totaly random bases. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dumb question here but do you have a really good gloss coat on it. I have that happen to me on my F-16 Aggressor. There were a couple spots on it where I just didnt have it smooth enough and they silvered up on me.

I brush on future in areas where the decals will go. I do not do the entire plane. And I have also in the past used Tamiya Acryl Gloss Clear to coat the areas where decals will go. I don't like using that method anymore because I have had the Acryl clear change the base color slightly when doing it that way.

Hmm, I dont know what to say then. I personally dont like future for decals, I use enamal gloss coat but I know a ton of people use future and have great results so hopefully someone else will have an idea to help out.

I use nothing else but Future/Klear for my gloss coat . Perhaps its just a case of bad decals , which manufacturer are you having problems with ? ...not all kit decals are the same ,I find Academy about the worst !!

Chris.

I was having the most difficulty from Micro Scales decals. Mostly from the number and letter decals not with there plane specific full sheets. I just used a set from Starfighter and had about 4 of them silver the rest are perfect. :-\

I have heard that a product called Solvaset will remove silvering. But.....I found two versions. One simply called Solvaset, the called Walthers Solvaset. Which is which???? :p

Never used Solvaset but I hear it's good stuff. But when I get the occasional silvered decal here's what I do... I dab on some Microscale or Superscale Decal Solvent and ently poke a zillion holes in the decal to allow the solvent to get unde the decal. Most times it will take care of the silvering. No matter the decal manufacturer, silvering is caused by one thing and one thing only....air under the decal. It may be because the decal doesn't have enough glue on it...sometimes the glue can get washed away from too much time in the water or overworking the decal or too much Decal setting solution. Usually the Future will take care of that issue though....

It could just be the decals. I've had bad luck with Academy decals and some of the thicker decals.

I've heard some guy using wet future under the decals as the setting solution.

I've had luck using ice on decals after applying MicroSol.

When that happens to me i take a new blade and run across it to to open it up then brush tamiya water based thinner over it and it adhears to the surface like it was painted on and no silvering. ;)

When you're putting the decals on try using hot rather than warm water and, instead of soaking the decal, dunk it and then put it on a paper towel decal side up. In 10 or 20 seconds it will be ready to remove the same as if you'd soaked it but there's less chance of washing the glue off.
With silvered decals agreed on the poke lots of holes with something very sharp and soak with setting solution.

As a LAST resort you can very CAREFULLY dab a LITTLE bit of liquid cement on a decal and it will melt onto the surface. Don't paint the cement on as you'll just smudge everything dab it gently ONCE and then leave it alone. IF you can do it right the design will literally set into the surface perfectly. Obviously this is a very risky approach but can work well over really difficult lumps and bumps.

Latest posts

Back