"Dead Glue" help?

Jdog71

Ni!
I use CA and Zip Kicker to lock small narrow pieces in to place. I'm trying to glue two pieces of a ship's mast together, and after a botched glue attempt, the plastic became hardened and now refuses to glue together.

I tried sanding the CA off both parts, but the 'hardened' area of plastic seems to be larger than I thought, almost like the CA/Zip combination has saturated the plastic.

I also tried other glues (Testors cement and tube glue) but they refuse to hold the two pieces together.

Short of snipping the plastic and ruining the mast or scratch building something, do I have any other options here?

I would first clean and wash those parts well. You might even have to remove any paint to get a good bond.

You have LOTS of choices here, first try a different grade of CA, thin CA sets faster, and the thicker CA fills gaps better and makes a stronger bond but set slower (although it is still less than a minute)

You can also use a 2 part epoxy

Jeep said:
I would first clean and wash those parts well. You might even have to remove any paint to get a good bond.

You have LOTS of choices here, first try a different grade of CA, thin CA sets faster, and the thicker CA fills gaps better and makes a stronger bond but set slower (although it is still less than a minute)

You can also use a 2 part epoxy

Do you have a suggestion for the epoxy or will any kind be ok for models?

Any would be fine. I would suggest Magic Sculpt, Miliput or A+B. They dry rock hard.

You can also try soaking the pieces in Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean for a few days. It will work its way under the glue and make it easier to scrap off.

Why are you using super glue instead of plastic cement?

AKE said:
Any would be fine. I would suggest Magic Sculpt, Miliput or A+B. They dry rock hard.

You can also try soaking the pieces in Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean for a few days. It will work its way under the glue and make it easier to scrap off.

Why are you using super glue instead of plastic cement?

Because I figured the narrow pieces of mast with very little surface area would need to be locked in tightly with a ca and excelerator. I sanded then tried plastic cement, but as I said, the plastic became ungluable.

Latest posts

Back