"Czech out!" - Crash landed Ju 52 in Prague...

tigrazor

audentes fortuna iuvat.
Hello all.

This project is in my head now for years and a very personal thing. Due to the lack of knowledge of some facts, missing links and modelling skills I didnt realize it until now, but now I think I can get this a go. The theme is nothing less than the crash landing of a Ju 52 my grandfather was a passenger of.

Some basic facts beforehand:

My grandfather did service in the 8th army approaching to Stalingrad in 1942, but was severely wounded - he got a shot right through his right arm - and flown out in August 1942. Lucky him, after coming home after the crash - he walked [!!!] from Prague to the Ore Mountains at home, more than 120 km, he stayed at home, and was thrown three days later at the western front. After the war was over, his mother told him, that he lost his brothers due to war actions. All THREE of them.

He is 86 now and is suffering from dementia, so I wont bother him with questions he doesnt want to remember or isnt able to, of course. This is the Point, where I gonna Need YOUR help!

"Tante Ju" and what I know about her...

If it was engine damage, friendly fire or whatsoever, I couldnt find out until now. According to the Geschwader chronicles, the machine got 15% damage. It was coded

1Z + ?L

1Z stands for the Geschwader itself [KG zbV 1], the last letter was the Staffel letter.

Most probably the Ju 52 was signed I./KG zbV 1. If Im informed right, and thats what he states too, the Ju came down in the nowadays called Czech Republic, to be more correct, in Prague-Ruzeny at 03. August 1942. Thats what I know about it so far, if youre smarter than me and got more informations or even pictures - those are very, verywelcome of course! Everything will help.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to find pictures of the crash landing in Prague itself, but I got similar ones.

I got tons of pictures from the WIP - way too much to show them all here, so this is a "Best Of" so to speak. But you can get more, if you want of course. ;)

First of all - some (re)modelled and painted figures for the diorama:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: "Czech out!" - Chrash landed Ju 52 in Prague...

the dio...

dio pt. II

dio pt. III

Wow, tons of work on this so far. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Thanks. Actually its status is "Shelf Queen of the Month". :D Cause there are some other projects on. Btw, how can I post large pictures here? Large in the sense of "full scale" and not "thumbnail"?

tigrazor said:
Hello all.

This project is in my head now for years and a very personal thing. Due to the lack of knowledge of some facts, missing links and modelling skills I didnt realize it until now, but now I think I can get this a go. The theme is nothing less than the crash landing of a Ju 52 my grandfather was a passenger of.

My grandfather did service in the 8th army approaching to Stalingrad in 1942, but was severely wounded - he got a shot right through his right arm - and flown out in August 1942. Lucky him, after coming home after the crash - he walked [!!!] from Prague to the Ore Mountains at home, more than 120 km, he stayed at home, and was thrown three days later at the western front. After the war was over, his mother told him, that he lost his brothers due to war actions. All THREE of them.

He is 86 now and is suffering from dementia, so I wont bother him with questions he doesnt want to remember or isnt able to, of course. This is the Point, where I gonna Need YOUR help!

If it was engine damage, friendly fire or whatsoever, I couldnt find out until now. According to the Geschwader chronicles, the machine got 15% damage. It was coded

1Z + ?L

1Z stands for the Geschwader itself [KG zbV 1], the last letter was the Staffel letter.

Most probably the Ju 52 was signed I./KG zbV 1. If Im informed right, and thats what he states too, the Ju came down in the nowadays called Czech Republic, to be more correct, in Prague-Ruzeny at 03. August 1942. Thats what I know about it so far, if youre smarter than me and got more informations or even pictures - those are very, verywelcome of course! Everything will help.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to find pictures of the crash landing in Prague itself, but I got similar ones.

I got tons of pictures from the WIP - way too much to show them all here, so this is a "Best Of" so to speak. But you can get more, if you want of course. ;)

tigrazor said:
Hello all.

1Z + ?L

Latest posts

Back