Cylon Raider

Rentar1

Don't let the NAZI bolt counters get you down!
Hello Fellow modellers!,

For those that were wondering, I have not dissappered. I've been working on my contest entries in a top secret bunker. I have finished my Armor and Aircraft entries which I am going to keep "on the low down" until time to submit.

I have decided to try my hand at the Sci-fi genre by building the Revell Cylon Raider from the Original Battlestar Galactica. I plan to venture WAY out of my comfort zone by heavily altering the model. i.e. rescribing panel lines, building an interior, ect.

The overall vision is to display the model after one of the engines exploded and the ship is breaking up. This my be a bit difficult to pull off with the time left, but with some of you cheering me on I my get it done. Wish me luck!
DSC04082.jpg
DSC04081.jpg

I have started the rescribing process and I am going to redux some of the moulded on detail.
DSC04083.jpg

This is an awesome idea! Can't wait to see what she'll look like with all that damage.

Frack those Toasters! The only good Ceylon is a pile of scrap metal.
Great concept, Rentar1. A post explosion scene with flotsum and sputtum floating
all around.....I love it. "By Your Command" Will be watching this one closely, Bill.

Thanks for all of your votes of confidence. The scribing is going slow and the fact that I don't know what I'm doing dosen't help much either! Thanks again!

Looks like, you got more parts than I. Would you take a photo of all parts, please?
Im interested in the difference between the classic kit and yours

Chiefpettyofficer said:
Looks like, you got more parts than I. Would you take a photo of all parts, please?

I showed all the parts it came with. I will be adding a lot more.

For those that are following. I'm still working on the Raider its just going slow. I was camping in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania this weekend. As soon as I have somthing to show I will post. See ya'll later!

Chiefpettyofficer said:

As far as I know the difference bewteen the classic kit and the 30 anniversary edition is that you get clear parst for the engine inserts to help with lighting them

The difference in the viper is that you get a clear cockpit and pilot and cockpit interior plus clear engine parts for lighting

Hi Guys,

I've made alot of progress. I finnished all the scribing on the top of the ship. Please don't judge me too harshly. This is the first time I've ever done any scribing. I still have alot of clean-up to do, but the hard stuff is done.

DSC04134.jpg
DSC04136.jpg
DSC04135.jpg

I bought this set on EBAY for about $15.00 The guy that sold it was great. This is the progress I've done so far. I had to scratchbuilt all of the rear walls and the interior detail, I'm happy with the way it turned out.

DSC04133.jpg
DSC04137.jpg
DSC04138.jpg
DSC04140.jpg
DSC04141.jpg

Kewlness!
That cockpit with the Centurions looks very good.
Not bad for your first attempt at scribing. Did you use anything as a guide?

I used electrial tape and an old air brush needle. I learned that if you press too hard or start to rush the needle will wobble abit. I got alot more control of the lines near the end of the work. I still need to do the bottom so I will get more practice.

Thanks Q! I have big plans for this thing. Hopfully I can get it done in time!

Thanks Darph!

I've done a little more today. I got some paint in the cockpit. The cock pit will have a bit of damage to it so, keep in mind this is pre-damage.
DSC04319.jpg
DSC04306.jpg
DSC04307.jpg

I also modified two of the three Cylons these will be "deactivated" in the cockpit. One is the Commander and the other is the pilot. See previous pic to see what they looked like before the mods. They have just been primed, sorry about the picture quality.

DSC04303.jpg
DSC04302.jpg

This is a big first for me. I am lighing the model and have completed the LED circuts I need. The blue is the engine. (the one not blown up!) The white is the headlights and the red is a blinking red light for the cockpit to represent the alarms going off.

DSC04316.jpg

Well, back to work thanks for lookin' guys! Yes, my hand was cramping up bad!

Now those are some impressive mods you have going on! I really love the cockpit! Now I know you're making like an exploding spacecraft sort of thing - so wouldn't it be cool if you kinda made the cockpit cave in and a cloud of fire in its midst? You said one of the engines exploded and such - well, I think if that happened, then perhaps the entire craft could be imploding! You know, where the explosion moves from the epicenter outward and everything kinda disintegrates!

Now that would make a cool entry 8)

Latest posts

Back