Cyber Hobby 1/700 USS Independence LCS-2 WIP

Elm City Hobbies

OK....first ship I have built in probably 15 years at least, maybe even 20.

I did a Sprue View on it when I got it, which can be seen here:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/sprue_view/cyber-hobby-1-700-lcs-2-uss-independence

I have had an itch that I wanted to try my hand at a ship again, and about a week ago we had our monthly club build day. All of the kits I am currently working on needed to go for primer and paint before moving on, so I had no choice but to pull another kit from the stash and start it. Very happy with the kit, most of the fit is pretty good. One fit problem is in the waterline hull. While the kit comes with both full hull and waterline hulls, the full hull fits like a glove, the waterline not so much, so had to do some filling around the back side.

Still have to put the PE nets on around the flight deck, as well I ordered a set of Eduard Generic US Navy railings to add to the ship...pop it a little bit. The only other thing I did was to replace the 3 antennas on the top of the mast with some fine brass tubing, as there was pretty much no way to get the plastic kit ones off of the sprue in one piece, or without them being bent. Guess that is what I get for choosing 1/700!!

Plan is to put it on a cheap picture frame trying my hand for the first time at water effects.

Enjoy the pics....

IMG_3597-vi.jpg

IMG_3598-vi.jpg

IMG_3599-vi.jpg

IMG_3600-vi.jpg

OK....and update. Got the PE netting on around the flight deck, the build is for all purposes done....except for one thing. I went looking for pictures of the real ship so I can at least get the colors close, and there are alot of railing that is missing from the kit (doesn't come with the kit) so I have a set of Eduard 1/700 US Navy railings coming on my order tomorrow. The kit did come with 2 small railings for the little indents at the back of the ship....they were fun enough (NOT) so I can imagine the Eduard railings. But it will make the ship look better and help make it pop!

IMG_3625-vi.jpg

IMG_3626-vi.jpg

IMG_3627-vi.jpg

Strange looking ships these stealth Jobie's. Your making a good job of it :)

NEEDS MORE BRASS!!!!!!1!!!

lol nice job Scott! Maybe more ships in the building cue for you?

I have been wanting to do a ship for awhile. Like I said, first in probably 15-20 years. Almost have the railings all on, and in the process about a half bottle of scotch drank in the process. I can now appreciate the larger size of 1/350.....just no place to put them once they are finished.

USS Independence (LCS 2) underway for builder's trials

Watch while you enjoy the other half of that bottle o' scotch~

I see Flyhawk has a new release: PE set for 1/700 USS LCS-2 Independence (FH71006) announced this month too.

Hey Scott, can't talk you into giving up the ole cars-N-armor routine for awhile and do a couple more ships can I? I got the Crown Royal on tap if you do *wink*

Nah, afraid not. I will be doing more ships in the future, but the next build for the SMA contest will be a piece of armor.

The Dragon German Z39 Destroyer has been calling my name, but I am trying to resist.

Thanks for the vid....shows me how far down in the water she sits as I am doing mine waterline and going to try my hand for the first time at modeling water.

That's an odd yet very interesting ship/kit. I'm looking forward to see more work done on it.
Cheers
Lukasz

Railings DONE!! Now I can put my eyeballs back in my head, and refill the bar.

IMG_3645-vi.jpg

IMG_3646-vi.jpg

The railings aren't perfect, but first time doing them, and first ship in about 15yrs, I will take it.

Just have to put the Helo together (all of about 3 parts) debating on if I want to use clear styrene to replicate a turning rotor, going to depend on how small the tail rotor is.

great work so far. can't wait to see it finished. there has been some debate about the color scheme. some say its grey others say unpainted aluminum. which way are you leaning?

What a different looking little ship :eek:, nice build ..looking forward to the sea part ....as for colour I cant imagine it being unpainted aluminium ??? how long would that last in salt water !!!! :eek:

Chris.

Any of the photos I have seen, as well as the video posted on the first page of this thread it is definitely normal USN Grey, and no aluminum.

I did have a slight accident...while showing it to someone here at the shop, I zigged when I should have zagged and knocked off a couple of the aerials. Just a testament to the use of Gator Glue vs CA. The aerials were held in with CA and ping...away they went....anything held on with Gator Glue didn't move. Easy fix however, just have to cut a couple of aerials to replace them.

Latest posts

Back