Currell's 1/1200 RMT Olympic 1918 Dazzle Pattern

Papermodder

Modeller in both Plastic and Paper Card
Hello Herd
This is my first WIP post. For some of you this could be your first time seeing this medium. For those across the pond are probably more familiar with Paper Card Modeling. I'm not a purist, I will use mixed media if it works or looks better. The build is not fast, if you like working with the shiny stuff, working with card is very similar.
Scales range from the very small to very large museum quality models. The detail can be as little or as high that you desire or skill set. The models themselves can be preprinted with PE and lazer cut parts, or digital download. There are may free models to be gotten of various skill levels.
This model is a free download from Currell's site.

CIMG0637_zps9b7bf753.jpg
This is a view of my work area and the printouts for the model on 110lb card.
CIMG0641_zps04efa668.jpg
This gives an idea of the scale here. This sheet is marked in cm on the bottom and right side.
CIMG0642_zpsb5ada53d.jpg
Those little lozenges on this sheet are life boats. I have 36 of those to build, if I don,t go insane first, Ha HA.
CIMG0645_zps5f0a1566.jpg
This is the main former cut folded and glued.
CIMG0646_zps3c39881f.jpg
The main former is now tack glued to the keel strip ready for construction.
CIMG0650_zps3ecb93eb.jpg
After all these years I'm finally off the kitchen table and have a proper hobby bench. Yaaaaaa.
CIMG0649_zps853d47a7.jpg
Finally some progress. As I said this is a slow build. One former at a time then wait for the glue (carpenters glue) to set, before moving on.
CIMG0652_zps0f9c0136.jpg
This is where I am at right now. A couple more formers and I can start laying the deck.

I hope this is interesting for you. I'm not an expert like the European modelers, but I take their lessons and try.

Hello Papermodder. I am new to building models, so paper card modelling is something that I am not familiar with. It seems interesting; and I look forward to your progress! :)

Your welcome Les.
Now for an update. With all the formers now installed and the Forecastle and Poop Deck attached it is now starting to look like a proper ship.
CIMG0654_zpsbcfca536.jpg
CIMG0655_zps5e07fdbc.jpg

Up next is the beginnings of the hull. The shaping for the aft should be real interesting.
If you have any questions or comments, please ask.

Jim

I will be watching with great interest as you progress, I have never seen a paper model in person, let alone seen the work that goes into one, I am very much looking forward to the journey!

Small update today.
Finished shaping and mounting the curved section of the Aft Hull to both sides and glued the two halves together
at the rudder. This was a little tedious but after the glue cures I will be able to attach the hull sides to the ships
formers.

HullSides_zps929244ed.jpg

JoinedatRudder_zps3832da73.jpg

AFT_zps9f378e8d.jpg

Each bit helps on the journey to visually represent what we are trying to portray.

Jim

Time for another update.
I did some editing on my photobucket page and lost the 2 images on the second post, sorry about that.

Today started to lay the hull sides. First dry fit the panels for alignment of the stern. Then to start gluing the stern section first to the end of the poop deck. Let this dry then move down and glue a couple of ribs at a time.
At this point I am only down to the 5th rib former, with 12 more to go.

LayingHull1_zps020ee4f3.jpg
Aft from the side.
LayingHull2_zps49519685.jpg
View from the top.

I hope you are enjoying this build and don't be afraid to comment or ask any questions.

Jim

YES!
I was able to fix the images on the second post.
Should have some more images on the build later today.

Jim

Hello.
Today's update. Finished attaching the port and starboard hull panels as well as cut out, folded and assembled the finishing stern hull cap. This was tricky, as this piece has no joiners and required straight butt joints. Then reinforce with more glue on the inside when the joints set. After this all cured I was then able to fit and install this piece to the stern of the ship. A fairly productive day. There are a lot of edges to clean up, that will come after the ship is released from the keel strip. Not Yet. Started thinking about water effects on a small diorama. Long way from that point.

This with the hull panels completed.
LayingHull3_zpsf4c16d6e.jpg
A view of the stern and the stern cap cut but not folded.
LayingHull5_zps180b1a35.jpg
A straight on view of the aft section before the stern car is installed.
LayingHull7_zps2c414b8f.jpg
Here is the stern cap folded and glued ready for install.
SternFoldedandGlued_zpsd61b92d3.jpg
Stern cap installed.
Stern1_zpsf87b16d5.jpg
Status of the build as we stand right now.
StatusJan24_zps9b0a7082.jpg

Slowly she is starting to look like something.
Questions and comments are always welcome.

Jim

Today's Update.
Fairly productive day, was able to get the Bridge Decks, Promenade Decks and the Boat Deck installed.
The lower bridge deck did not fit and had to be trimmed to fit. The upper promenade deck had too many small folds to assemble on deck, so it was assembled after cut fold before install. This made for a lot easier install to the lower promenade deck. After these cured the Boat Deck was cut out, dry fitted then glued in place. Attempted to glue this deck on all at once but was hard to keep both sides in place. Ended up attaching just one side at a
time. This worked out the best.
Next online are the rest of the deck structures and all the tiny fiddly bits.

Bridge decks installed.
FwdBridge_zpsdbc65199.jpg
Lower promenade deck installed.
Prominade_zps5d6a7106.jpg
Upper promenade deck folded & glued.
UpperProminadeFolded_zpsb5c787de.jpg
Upper promenade deck ready for install.
UpperProminadeGluedandreadyforinstall_zpsf5784bbb.jpg
Boat deck installed.
SideDeckView_zpsfa898af8.jpg
AFT view promenade decks and boat deck.
AftView_zps147cfd43.jpg
The bridge decks and boat deck.
BridgeDeck_zpsf07e988e.jpg

I do hope you are enjoying this build so far, I know I am. Please comment or any questions.

Jim

ive never seen anything like this before.. absolutely quality buddy is the model got to be treated with kid gloves or is it sturdy as i say never worked with a paper model

As it sits now it is still glued to the keel board. With the superstructure and the paneling installed they are surprisingly quite sturdy.
My 1/35th X-15 I built, I could almost believe that if I were to try to crush it with my hand around it. A plastic
model would crush first, strictly due to the internal structure of the model.

Jim

Playing with all the fiddly bits today and almost lost one to the carpet monster. This is where a flashlight is handy.
Mind you from now on with this build they are all fiddly bits.
Started constructing and installing the deck houses. This is definitely magnifier, tweezers and probe territory; cut
fold, glue then install. I feel like I progressed today. Every little piece makes the model more real. I love this vision.

This is the Second Class Entrance, the top piece is the one that almost got away. I just dropped a sheet of card and blew it right off the bench.
SecondClassEnterence_zps9b5fc536.jpg
This is the Smoke Room & The AFT Deck House.
DeckHouse1_zps06ff4f7f.jpg
An Aft view of the deck hoses installed so far.
DeckHouse2_zpsfaae98b7.jpg
Just a side view of the ship as she stands at this time.
DeckHouse4_zpsa2428d44.jpg

I don't know about you, but I find when I am working on a modeling project, it is very relaxing, and the
time just seems to disappear.
I'm always open for questions and comments.

Jim

Hello again.
A couple of deck houses installed today, a couple more left to build and install.
Then I can attach the hatches and start to build some cranes. the parts on the sheet numbered 59 & 63
are the booms for the cranes, could be interesting.

Deck view as of tonight.
DeckHouse5_zps3b7f3861.jpg
Top View
DeckHouse6_zpsc2bdcae8.jpg

That last low profile house looking fwd was an interesting build. It had many square folds as well as a curved wall, as well the walls were only 1mm high.
I'm open for any comments or questions. I hope you are finding this build interesting, as it is out of your usual genre.

Jim

Hello again Jim, I am enjoying reading and seeing your progress on this! A quick question... I noticed you have your model glued to a small board. Did you use the same glue as you use on the model, just in smaller amounts to make it easier to remove?

Hi Les.
Yes the ship is lightly tacked to the keel board at 10 spots with just a dab of wood glue.
This keeps the keel straight and makes it easier to work on the rest of the craft.
It will lift off easy enough passing a #11 blade under it.

Jim

Nice work, its nice to see something different.

Ive seen these built at shows and you would never know they were paper.

Look forward to seeing this complete

An update on the Olympic, where I am at as of this afternoon.

The deck houses have all been installed as well as the hatches & wheel house assembly. The promenade side panels have also been installed. Completing the hull assembly.
Wrecked one piece on the second forward deck house. One good thing about card modeling is if you destroy a
piece you can easily reprint another.
Now working on the cranes. The aft cranes are installed and the next set, the mounts are constructed and installed. These I found are mighty fine and that if I stiffened the booms with glue they keep their shape better.
Working on this ship is like working on a circuit board with SMD components, without my magnifying lamp I would be lost in a big hurry(been there, done that).

Side view showing the promenade panels and the completed deck houses.
DeckHousesandPromenadasidesinstalled_zpsd87b20b2.jpg
Here is a view looking bow to aft. You can see the wheel house front .
Front3_zpscfedbbd1.jpg
This top down view you can see the deck detail and the aft cranes.
TopView1_zps515174a7.jpg
Here you can see the aft cranes on deck as well as the next set of crane mounts. On the keel board are the mounts for the promenade deck cranes and the crane booms for the 2nd set of aft cranes.
Cranes1_zps7d3112ea.jpg

Hope to get some more done tonight. Any comments or questions, please ask away.

Jim

Good Evening.
Did not get as much completed this weekend as I expected, family must come first.
I did complete the rest of the cranes and more deck features as well completed assembly and installation of the four funnels. These were interesting, as the vent stacks that run up the front and back of the funnels also had to be constructed and installed. I think this feature adds more to the realism of the model.

Side view of this ship as she stands tonight.
Funnel2_zps76deab08.jpg
Bow View
Funnel3_zps4df79868.jpg
Stern View
Funnel4_zps7dc6a7a2.jpg

Next I have the compass platform to construct. This I am going to scratch as the one supplied is not realistic enough considering the rest of the detail. Then I get to try out my new lathe as two masts have to be made.
We will see how that turns out.

I hope you like what you see so far. Any questions or comments are always welcome.

Jim

Latest posts

Back