Covering Fire Diorama

Jim62

Well I'm into my first 1/35th dio and so far so good. It will strictly be a damaged building and figures since that is my focus right now. I couldn't help myself so I went for the old Italeri House Corner (a blast from the past I could not resist) and a few Tamiya figures. I have the House Corner Nearly finished except final weathering I'll do after it's on the base so I thought I'd post some photos.
I used a combination of acrylic paints from Tamiya, Vallejo and some craft paints. I filled each wall with plaster of paris and painted them with craft paints. The flooring is balsa wood and I cut each plank out and attached them with white glue to the support beams which were placed in the wet plaster. I also used balsa wood to put the remaining framework for the windows and the frame of the door. I have a drain pipe I made out of a sprue piece I will attach later to cover the seam where the two large pieces attach and for the seam of the small part I'll cover it with whatever comes to mind as I complete this. Probably a pile of debris. I'm enjoying the way this is turning out, now I gotta figure out cobblestones on my foam base so it's off to cut a practice piece. Hope you like it and have a great day. I work slowly and I'll post more as I'm working on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    942.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    957.3 KB · Views: 11
I got my base going here and I have a question. I made my base out of pink foam and don't know if people seal the paint with something like mod podge before weathering a foam base or is it good to go to weather on the paint? that's my preference if possible, I just don't know if the foam will end up soaking up all the acrylic wash. The building isn't attached yet, just for photo reference. Still lot's of work to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0814[1].JPG
    IMG_0814[1].JPG
    855.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
User preference I'd say. I like building a border around my foam bases from styrene or balsa wood and then just painting it black, as I will tend to dent the foam during building. And I hate trying to spackle dents and dings in the foam. There really isn't like one "correct" way to do it.

Looks fantastic btw.

User preference I'd say. I like building a border around my foam bases from styrene or balsa wood and then just painting it black, as I will tend to dent the foam during building. And I hate trying to spackle dents and dings in the foam. There really isn't like one "correct" way to do it.

Looks fantastic btw.
Thanks appreciate it. I was curious about the edges of the foam and I like the balsa wood idea on the edges. I am good at denting things

I got Covering Fire done and now to share pics. This has been more fun than I could even imagine. I tried to have a lot going on and enough interest to keep the viewers eyes on the diorama. I made all the debris out of plaster of paris I crushed up then soaked in a water/paint with a bit of dish soap to color it. The individual bricks I made out of foam and painted them with Vallejo paints. The wood is all Balsa including the cabinet and nightstand. I really had an urge to use some realistic water so I put in a water leak and colored it with Tamiya flat earth paint to make it muddy. Hope you like it. IMG_0840.JPGIMG_0844.JPGIMG_0845.JPGIMG_0846.JPGIMG_0847.JPGIMG_0852.JPGIMG_0855.JPG

Latest posts

Back